Matchday Thread - Derby County vs Grimsby Town (30/08 19:00)

Ghost of Clough

The unbeaten run continues - 6 now following a fantastic few minutes on Saturday. Next up, Grimsby Town in the Pizza Cup group stage. Fully expect the side to be mixed up quite a bit, getting extra minutes into some of the lesser used players.

Our only prior experience in the competition was the U23s in 2016. That time, we lost two games and lost the other on penalties (if scores are level after 90 minutes, a penalty shootout takes place, with the winner earning an extra point).

Derby have won 11 of the last 17 games, losing twice.

My predicted lineup:

Wildsmith

Rooney Cashin

Oduroh   Smith   Tommo   Forsyth

Knight   McGoldrick   Barkhuizen

Dobbin

Subs: Loach, Stearman, Roberts, Bird, Hourihane, Sibley, Collins

Edited by Ghost of Clough

I feel like Collins should start, he needs a goal for his confidence and may stand a chance of grabbing one against these. Play Dobbin and Sibley close to him, maybe with Knight on the right, pretty much the side that played against West Brom with Collins in for McGoldrick up top. Or if he’s ok following his family issues NML on the right as he will have fresh legs after missing a couple of games and Knight can be rested.

1 hour ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

I feel like Collins should start, he needs a goal for his confidence and may stand a chance of grabbing one against these. Play Dobbin and Sibley close to him, maybe with Knight on the right, pretty much the side that played against West Brom with Collins in for McGoldrick up top. Or if he’s ok following his family issues NML on the right as he will have fresh legs after missing a couple of games and Knight can be rested.

I want Sibley and knight rested for this one and saved for the league games currently 

@Shuff264explained the rules for how many first teamers (basically 4 outfield) we have to play in the Papa Johns thread. 

Surely Loach has to start this one? We need our current reserve keeper to have had some game time in case he's called upon in the league. Then the other main question is if Collins needs a goal or a rest? Then, is Chester fit enough to get a game or at least a place on the bench? My four to avoid us getting fined in bold

Loach

Oduroh     Rooney     Forsyth(c)    Grewal-Pollard

Smith     Thompson

Dobbin    Collins    Cybulski     Nunn

Subs: Foulks Stearman Roberts Bird U21  U21 U21

3 hours ago, Carl Sagan said:

@Shuff264explained the rules for how many first teamers (basically 4 outfield) we have to play in the Papa Johns thread. 

Surely Loach has to start this one? We need our current reserve keeper to have had some game time in case he's called upon in the league. Then the other main question is if Collins needs a goal or a rest? Then, is Chester fit enough to get a game or at least a place on the bench? My four to avoid us getting fined in bold

Loach

Oduroh     Rooney     Forsyth(c)    Grewal-Pollard

Smith     Thompson

Dobbin    Collins    Cybulski     Nunn

Subs: Foulks Stearman Roberts Bird U21  U21 U21

Champership sides and premiership's sides can only play there under 21s but league one and league 2 sides can play there first team if they want too.

That team posted in the OP looks far too strong for this competition so I hope it's nothing like that line up. No idea what LR's thoughts are but I'd go with:

Loach

Oduroh    Rooney   Chester/U21    Roberts

Thompson  Robinson

U21                 U21               U21

Collins

Fowkes, Cybulski + 5 other U21's

4 minutes ago, Rampant said:

That team posted in the OP looks far too strong for this competition so I hope it's nothing like that line up. No idea what LR's thoughts are but I'd go with:

Loach

Oduroh    Rooney   Chester/U21    Roberts

Thompson  Robinson

U21                 U21               U21

Collins

Fowkes, Cybulski + 5 other U21's

Agree the OP team is far too strong, but yours would see us fined for fielding what is seen as too weak a team by the EFL. Even if Chester starts we're one short of meeting the criteria (my bold).

7 minutes ago, Carl Sagan said:

Agree the OP team is far too strong, but yours would see us fined for fielding what is seen as too weak a team by the EFL. Even if Chester starts we're one short of meeting the criteria (my bold).

It says everything about the competition when they have to include a rule to make teams field a semi-strong line up. It's almost as if they know themselves it's a tinpot, unhelpful and unwelcome addition to the fixture list. 

The fine is £5,000. For goodness sake Edmund, just pay the money and damn their impudence.

Much like with the Carabao cup last week, give the reserves some game time, so they’re fit and firing if called upon in the League. We really should be beating Grimsby even with our squad players out there, it’s pretty pathetic if we don’t. It’s a good competition to keep all the players happy who aren’t starting in the League right now, so I hope we still put in 100% effort.

Loach

Oduroh Rooney Cashin Forsyth

Smith Thompson

Barkhuizen Sibley Dobbin

McGoldrick

18 minutes ago, Rampant said:

It says everything about the competition when they have to include a rule to make teams field a semi-strong line up. It's almost as if they know themselves it's a tinpot, unhelpful and unwelcome addition to the fixture list. 

The fine is £5,000. For goodness sake Edmund, just pay the money and damn their impudence.

The fine is up to £5,000 but I expect with us they would go for the maximum ?