Matchday Thread - Derby County vs Grimsby Town (30/08 19:00)

Ghost of Clough

Thoroughly enjoyed the game tonight. Very glad I went. Good strong team selected, played some good stuff at times. 

Jake Rooney will play premier league. He’s wasted at CB he’s a DM, seen him 3 times now, he could be better than Bielik.

Kwaku is improving rapidly, poor against Mansfield and not ready, improved as game went on against the Baggies, continued where he left off tonight. Thought he was excellent.

Roberts was frustrating tonight. Dobbin is raw at times looks amazing, other times can’t control a ball. Tommo did ok and all the senior pros (I include Sibley in that) did well, what does Collins have to do.

Then I hear Scott Loach’s interview afterwards. What an amazing culture being built here started by Rooney and continued by Liam. Really starting to think this could be the start of something special. 

1 hour ago, DavesaRam said:

About James Collins: if he olays on Saturday hiw about a session of “Collins. Collins. Collins. Collins.” It might do him the power of good. Its to the same tune as “Derby. Derby. Derby”!!!

Agree with this a lot, there’s been a few players over the year that would have done much better with just a little more vocal backing from the fans.

The next stage in the evolution of Derby fans having an increasingly positive impact on team performance is doing stuff like this for struggling players.

Such a brilliant atmosphere at PP these days but still could get better.

I wonder how things will work out with Collins? At present, he looks like he could go for another hundred games without scoring.

You can't fault his effort. Indeed he clearly wants to score and is doing everything he can to make it happen. He visibly tenses as soon as he goes into the box. As the cliche states, he's trying too hard.

His past record suggests that he is more than capable of scoring goals at this level. The problem is that the manager can only afford to give him a certain amount of before dropping him. Once that happens, it's possible that he might never get the game time to play himself back into form.

In his favour is that results have been good, even with a misfiring centre-forward. For now, Rosenior has the luxury of not needing to drop Collins. However,  Collins needs his form to pick before we hit a sticky patch or he'll just be a low rent Derek Hales.

7 hours ago, Crewton said:

I thought he was brilliant at times, and pretty solid all evening. Such a good footballer. What did you find frustrating about his performance? Genuine question because I thought he showed allot more in an attacking sense tonight. 

I agreed with the original poster. Robert’s looked a bit slow, his crosses were off pace and seldom reached their target and he didn’t look like he could beat his man. In fact a couple of times the attacks fizzled out when the ball got to him. Towards the end I was hoping that the ball wouldn’t get passed to him. Based on this game alone he wasn’t good enough and I’d prefer to have fozzy in. I’m sure it’s just a one-off and he’ll be back to form after today.

45 minutes ago, Malty said:

I agreed with the original poster. Robert’s looked a bit slow, his crosses were off pace and seldom reached their target and he didn’t look like he could beat his man. In fact a couple of times the attacks fizzled out when the ball got to him. Towards the end I was hoping that the ball wouldn’t get passed to him. Based on this game alone he wasn’t good enough and I’d prefer to have fozzy in. I’m sure it’s just a one-off and he’ll be back to form after today.

You have to understand what is being asked of them when they’re on the pitch. In possession, Roberts is tucking infield almost like another midfielder. He was primarily a centre back when he got here. He’s being asked to make an overload inside, keep the ball and give it simple. Fozzy is asked to be on the touchline, often very high up the pitch. It’s horses for courses but comparing them using the exact same metrics isn’t fair on either of them. Fozzy just looks more like a traditional full back you are used to seeing. 

8 hours ago, Crewton said:

I thought he was brilliant at times, and pretty solid all evening. Such a good footballer. What did you find frustrating about his performance? Genuine question because I thought he showed allot more in an attacking sense tonight. 

I’ve seen him play much better, think he can do more going forward, passed backwards a lot, could do better with some of his crosses. Just thought it was a frustrating inconsistent performance him which is going to happen. I like him, think he’s got loads of potential, would be great when we’re out of the business plan scenario if we could get him permanently. 

As a comparison I thought Oduroh was better than him tonight which I never would’ve thought possible a few weeks back, says more about the rate of Oduroh progression than Roberts who IMO had a bit of an off night by his standards. 

21 minutes ago, Charliegeorge1962 said:

Looking at last night's chances and I do think Collins is a reborn Derek Hales.

He has an unerring ability to find the keeper with his shots. No doubt that this is his level and he will score soon. We're lucky to presently not have the necessity of him scoring goals...  

10 hours ago, jono said:

TBH I thought their goal was offside (but I am biased) 

It looked a yard offside from where I was sat, which was pretty much in line, but Grimsby probably deserved a goal for their efforts and, aside from the last few minutes when their frustration boiled over into s*ithousery, they tried to play decent football. 

Their nr.20, Danilo Orsi-Dadomo however, who deliberately trod on Knight's stomach right near the end, deserves a post-match red card. Snide little ponce. 

Edited by Crewton
Looked up the name of the snide ponce.

10 hours ago, BramcoteRam84 said:

Thoroughly enjoyed the game tonight. Very glad I went. Good strong team selected, played some good stuff at times. 

Jake Rooney will play premier league. He’s wasted at CB he’s a DM, seen him 3 times now, he could be better than Bielik.

Kwaku is improving rapidly, poor against Mansfield and not ready, improved as game went on against the Baggies, continued where he left off tonight. Thought he was excellent.

Roberts was frustrating tonight. Dobbin is raw at times looks amazing, other times can’t control a ball. Tommo did ok and all the senior pros (I include Sibley in that) did well, what does Collins have to do.

Then I hear Scott Loach’s interview afterwards. What an amazing culture being built here started by Rooney and continued by Liam. Really starting to think this could be the start of something special. 

Wow, Prem player and could be better than our £10 million record signing. That is some prediction after playing against Mansfield and Grimsby. I would like to see him against  Liverpool strikers first. Who knows??‍♂️

We do have a tendency to over rate our players at times particularly young players. Its extremely early days to be drawing conclusions about Jake but he looks good. I enjoyed watching them last night, it was a training match for them. Fitness and team organisation is coming on all the time and at the same time we are still getting results. I think we have grounds to be very optimistic for this season, I see no reason at all why we cant get automatic promotion

What amazes me is that we made a number  of changes to the side but played as though we hadn’t! We were just as expansive, just as keen to get forwards as ever, which shows a great consistency throughout the squad. Well done, that Rosenior!

Max showed us the benefit of not taking a touch, or not letting the ball bounce but shooting as soon as the chance is there. What a goal!!!

Sibbo’s goal was also good - Odhuro’s pass, NML being NML, and the finish. And we got lucky with the first goal. When does that ever happen for Derby? Perhaps wr could do with scooping a bit of that luck up and pouring it over Collins, so he ends scoring off his shoulder, backside or whatever!

Also I can’t wait to see Rooney and Cashin in a central defence partnership - what a thought to savour!!! MacFarland and Todd Mark 2?

Edited by DavesaRam
Fat fingers

I've just seen the highlights on Rams TV and as good as Bird's goal was, I thought that the Sibbo's was the best of the bunch. Superb vision and execution of the pass from Oduroh, great first touch by NML followed by great awareness of Sibbo's position and a lovely weighted pass for Sibbo to calmly finish.

Also from various comments made, I expected to see a couple of glaring misses from Collins, but his first chance from outside the box was admittedly a bit tame, but it was on his 'wrong' foot. The chance at the death seemed to come at him very quickly with either a slight deflection or some kind of unusual ball flight.

43 minutes ago, ram59 said:

I've just seen the highlights on Rams TV and as good as Bird's goal was, I thought that the Sibbo's was the best of the bunch. Superb vision and execution of the pass from Oduroh, great first touch by NML followed by great awareness of Sibbo's position and a lovely weighted pass for Sibbo to calmly finish.

Also from various comments made, I expected to see a couple of glaring misses from Collins, but his first chance from outside the box was admittedly a bit tame, but it was on his 'wrong' foot. The chance at the death seemed to come at him very quickly with either a slight deflection or some kind of unusual ball flight.

The highlights don't show his miss in the first half hour. Nice ball chipped in around knee height from Dobbin, curling slightly toward goal but perfect for Collins to run onto, unmarked on the edge of the six yard box, and stick in the net. A goal 95 times out of 100. Somehow finds the keeper.

I do appreciate what Collins does, but it's not bad luck that's stopped him scoring so far, it's been poor finishing.

There was that stray Luton fan who posted saying that even in his 26 goal League One season his finishing was less impressive than the numbers would suggest, obviously he was laughed off but he may have had a point.

Edited by Kokosnuss

2 hours ago, DavesaRam said:

What amazes me is that we made a number  of changes to the side but played as though we hadn’t! We were just as expansive, just as keen to get forwards as ever, which shows a great consistency throughout the squad. Well done, that Rosenior!

Max showed us the benefit of not taking a touch, or not letting the ball bounce but shooting as soon as the chance is there. What a goal!!!

Sibbo’s goal was also good - Odhuro’s pass, NML being NML, and the finish. And we got lucky with the first goal. When does that ever happen for Derby? Perhaps wr could do with scooping a bit of that luck up and pouring it over Collins, so he ends scoring off his shoulder, backside or whatever!

Also I can’t wait to see Rooney and Cashin in a central defence partnership - what a thought to savour!!! MacFarland and Todd Mark 2?

Neither of them are very tall though and both would probably be better playing alongside a 6'3'' stopper