Matchday Thread - Fleetwood Town v Derby County (20/08 15:00)

Ghost of Clough

Better start to the season than I'd hoped for. Despite being a brand new team thrown together very quickly we are playing some nice stuff at times and creating loads of chances. Liam needs to be brave and believe in his way of playing, the worst thing he can do at the moment is listen to criticism from fans. 

Hopefully he has been around football for long enough to know that fans are generally very fickle (not having a go at any on here, its just a football thing that happens).

We have had an horrendous couple of of years and we stuck together to keep our club alive. Its now back to normal where some fans think we should win every game and have a sense of superiority over so called smaller teams. Perhaps these fans are embarrassed to draw at Fleetwood if they work with gumps? Whatever, tell them to eff off or ignore them, it doesn't matter. 

We are where we are, we are fighting to build a squad capable of getting us out of this tough division. So far, Liam seems to be doing everything right, the players have gelled far quicker than is normal and despite still getting to know each other are dominating games, working hard for each other and the gaffer.

We will not win every game, we will have to be patient, but if the team continues to create chances we will start to convert draws into wins......its not going to be easy but from what I've seen so far I believe we are on the right track.

Others have mentioned Brian Clough and Jim Smith, I was a bit young when Clough came in 1967 but I can clearly remember Jim getting grief early on before Igor arrived part way through the season we got promoted......

After all we'd been through I am a bit disappointed that a few on here are so quick to moan, but its half a dozen folks on a forum that only 5% (if that) of our fanbase uses, so nowt to worry or fall out about.

As long as we all do our best to get behind the players every match, thats the only important thing, and never forget, thats the only thing what us fans can do to actually influence results.

Come on you Rams ?

20 minutes ago, Ellafella said:

Well done on your 3 years. I’ve been a statistician for 32 years now. Good to see also your degree taught you pedantry. “shread” is an obsolete form of the spelling {look it up}. And I stick by my statistical reasoning- everything else is conjecture and opinion. It’s not conclusive and never claimed as such…but statistical reasoning is part science part art. Clearly , things can change but I stick with my hypothesis- we are buying possession and defensiveness at the cost of goal-scoring. It’s Cocu-ball - we won’t lose many but neither will we win many. Just pointing out the early signs. 

Well I've searched the internet for shread and I'm sorry but I can't find anything to support your hypothesis. But if it is as you say obsolete, maybe you have some insight into the mysteries of the universe not shared by any other living person. If so, I can only say you are unique. I compliment you. In fact, I'm almost envious.You must be very proud that you have something in your locker that no one else in the world today has an insight to.

Edited by Brailsford Ram

3 minutes ago, Brailsford Ram said:

Well I've searched the internet for shread and I'm sorry but I can't find anything to support your hypothesis. But if it is as you say obsolete, maybe you have some insight into the mysteries of the universe not shared by any other living person. If so, I can only say you are unique. I compliment you. In fact, I'm almost envious.You must be very proud that you have something in your locker that no one else in the world today has an insight to.

Not sure why you choose to get personal - but it’s not a convincing rejoinder so I’ll just leave that there.  #quitwhilstyourebehind.

4 minutes ago, tinman said:

I think ellafella needs to get their head out of the spreadsheet and actually look what’s happening on the pitch. 

we’re going to give someone an absolute pasting soon. 

I never discounted that possibility- just suggested a rational reason based on evidence for our lack of goals rather than just saying “we’ve been unlucky”. 

Personally I can't understand the fuss.  Fleetwood are a tough team to beat at home; we are in transition from out of oblivion.  We were better than Fleetwood by a distance and are well placed already to push for the play-offs.  

The only reason to be miserable is if you think of us as a mid-table Championship Club and not one that was then nearly extinct.  Few of us who realise the desperate state we were in expect to directly compete in these early weeks with the top sides in this division who had  most of their squads settled and training while we were debating our existence. 

Enjoy what we have!

Watch arsenal all or nothing and you’ll see how fickle football fans are. Calling for arteta out this time last year - today singing his name at the final whistle. As he says and as I’m sure Liam will say, believe in the process and have some patience. All the positive signs suggest that once we get in our stride we may become a juggernaut. 

4 hours ago, LeedsCityRam said:

Probably the most infuriating few pages of this forum I've read in a while.

Despite what some of the 'just saying it how it is' Talksport types on here think, no-one at all is saying a performance or tactics are beyond criticism. But at least have the decency to apply some context to criticism  i.e. a bunch of players slung together in no time at all, a rookie manager, a late pre-season & the fact we have dominated the 3 away games these same individuals are outraged we haven't won. Just hysterical, over-entitled garbage that I didnt miss at all last season

If we'd had social media back in the day, some on here would have happily got rid of Arthur Cox in 84/85 (we finished 7th in Division 3 with a bunch of expensive signings, imagine that) & wouldn't have given Clough another season after 67/68.

Just as well David Clowes seems a sensible, measured type & won't be doing kneejerk Mel Morris reactionary cack. He'll look at the table & notice we're just outside the playoff spots...perhaps the bedwetters might like to do the same.

You are consistently the best poster on the forum by some distance. Excellent summary.

27 shots, dominant in possession. It’ll come. Rosenior can’t take  too much flak after today. All we  need is a bit of luck, some better clinical finishing and we’ll be alright. And by alright I mean in the promotion hunt. We’re playing lovely, cohesive football. Which in itself is quite something considering the pre season. Lots of reasons to be optimistic for the future. 

28 minutes ago, Steve How Hard? said:

Haven't managed to read the whole thread so don't know if this has been mentioned but did anyone else notice Youl Mawene doing the warm up for their players before the game and for the subs at half time? 

May have been difficult to spot from the away end. Quite easy to spot from behind enemy lines. 

Good spot! Joined in September as Head of Sports Science. Was at Salford before as Strength and Conditioning Coach. Unless he lies on LinkedIn, heaven forbid! https://uk.linkedin.com/in/youl-mawene-7133b049

8 hours ago, Andrew1 said:

I think that someone on here said at the start of the season that being a big club will make us a fine scalp for smaller ones like Shrewsbury and Fleetwood.  Taking a point off Derby even at home will seem like a win for many of them, so parking the bus and spending most of the game defending like hell will suit them just fine.  The teams wanting to be in the top half by next May won’t do that, and the games will have a different dimension to them…

Any bus parking will be based on expected form. If Derby slide then it won't be necessary because their level will be est lashed like it was for Sunderland, Pompey and to a lesser extent, Wednesday. 

8 hours ago, LeedsCityRam said:

If we'd had social media back in the day, some on here would have happily got rid of Arthur Cox in 84/85 (we finished 7th in Division 3 with a bunch of expensive signings, imagine that) & wouldn't have given Clough another season after 67/68.

Just as well David Clowes seems a sensible, measured type & won't be doing kneejerk Mel Morris reactionary cack. He'll look at the table & notice we're just outside the playoff spots...perhaps the bedwetters might like to do the same.

I haven't seen anyone advocate getting rid of LR?

Happy clappers was used as a phrase by myself as the opposite to the group of posters you describe and that caused extreme upset by one forum member in particular, guess they won't be attacking your description with such vigour though or indeed at all as that's OK to use and it fits with their narrative which totally devalues the point they were trying to make in their incoherent diatribe. 

5 hours ago, Mrso said:

Personally I can't understand the fuss.  Fleetwood are a tough team to beat at home; we are in transition from out of oblivion.  We were better than Fleetwood by a distance and are well placed already to push for the play-offs.  

The only reason to be miserable is if you think of us as a mid-table Championship Club and not one that was then nearly extinct.  Few of us who realise the desperate state we were in expect to directly compete in these early weeks with the top sides in this division who had  most of their squads settled and training while we were debating our existence. 

Enjoy what we have!

Where did you derive this information from? Last season they lost twice as many games at home as they won (10 vs 5) so the "fact" you've brought up points to exactly the opposite, it's actually a personal opinion being propagated by yourself as being true. 

I haven't even looked at this season as the popular opinion on here is you can't use the handful of games played to judge the season yet so what's sauce for the goose.....

7 hours ago, Mrso said:

Enjoy what we have!

They finished 20th last season winning 8 and drawing 16. They lost 22 games. They scored 62 and conceded 82 , a goal difference of -20. They are perennial lower table L1 Club. Those are the facts; tough side who lost last season more often than they won or drew.

2 hours ago, Tyler Durden said:

I haven't seen anyone advocate getting rid of LR?

Happy clappers was used as a phrase by myself as the opposite to the group of posters you describe and that caused extreme upset by one forum member in particular, guess they won't be attacking your description with such vigour though or indeed at all as that's OK to use and it fits with their narrative which totally devalues the point they were trying to make in their incoherent diatribe. 

I think there were a few posts at the final whistle calling for a change in manager. Possibly in the heat of the moment, possibly because the posters expect too much too soon from this team.

After some time to digest I hope we can all get ready to support the team going forward.

11 hours ago, Ellafella said:

Not to score in 1 away game you’ve dominated is unlucky. Not to score in 2 away games you’ve dominated is even more unlucky. Not to score in 3 away games you’ve dominated defies statistical probability & suggests there is a significant factor at play. 

I was at Belper Town yesterday and kept looking at our score, HT 17 shots, FT 27 shots(I may be clouded by beer)gobsmacked that so many efforts didn't result in a goal.

Looking at some of the posters reports and the BBC report it sounded a good time to be at the Alamo, Shot peppered at the goal, Shots blocked by their players, Shots blocked by our player, Shots saved by their keeper, I mean what is the SIGNIFICANT FACTOR? I don't see one other than NO GOALS in those games.

I would very much doubt our players missed on purpose, I know the goals weren't moved, A lack of confidence...no! as they were there to shoot, Left their shooting boots in the changing room, No! they had them on...so what is the SIGNIFICANT FACTOR...luck or lack of, Plain and simple, In each of those 3 games if we score 1st it opens the other team up and creates more space for us to utilise.

It will come good of this I am sure, And when it does the negativity, The frustrated, The disappointed posters will have a change of tune.

COYRs