Matchday Thread - Fleetwood Town v Derby County (20/08 15:00)

Ghost of Clough

10 minutes ago, sage said:

The shots on/off target is meaningless as blocked shots are deemed to be off target. If it was split into 3, i.e. missed/blocked/saved then blocked would be by far the biggest amount.   

As the same classification for shots on/off target was consistent in both games I think we can take some comfort that things improved today. I also saw, with my own eyes, players shooting when a chance presented itself, rather than passing.

15 minutes ago, Tyler Durden said:

As long as that cuts both ways then absolutely.

Your highlighted statement follows closely on from your observation about those being critical complaining that their opinion isn't valued the inference being that talking balls as you put it is solely confined to this group.

As long as your thinking is applied to all factions then 100% agree with you. 

Absolutely. In my personal opinion anyone really criticising today is ridiculously harsh or talking complete b*******, we didn’t score today that’s stating the obvious but the game plan everything was spot on. Luck played a huge part today and poor finishing from players still getting up to speed. They need longer before they’re judged.

However those same criticisms for Tuesday night and Shrewsbury, were justified. In isolation that performance wasn’t good enough and it was possession for possession for possession sake.

If im still saying in October/November when we haven’t won an away that it will come there’s nothing to worry about I’d expect to be shot down. So yes it cuts both ways. Negative views but with sound logic and concerns are valid. Blind negativity every time we dont win a game or don’t score isn’t valid IMO and should be treated with contempt it deserves or better still ignored 

24 minutes ago, Ellafella said:

1st emboldened: just opinion & not evidence. 
2nd emboldened: low quality chances.

Rosey-ball is simply re-hashed Cocu-ball. Ie set up far too deep, keep possession but at the cost of scoring goals. We haven’t conceded but neither have we scored. Outcome: mediocrity and mid-table. 

I'll respond to you on this subject at the end of the season. I've noted it in my diary.

Like all of us I'm entitled to an opinion. You've just expressed yours - mid-table mediocrity. From last season we've lost Bielik (Hourihane will contribute more than he did last season), Allsop & Roos(Wildsmith's distribution is much better for playing out from the back), Byrne (good going forward - very average defensively), Ebosele, Plange and Ebowei ( outstanding prospects who have a chance of becoming established Premier League players but last season their exciting promise was not backed up by the number of assists and goals that some of their replacements will contribute in this Division) and Buchanan (I think Roberts looks an improvement).

Don't forget also that Derby are not a typical team relegated from the Championship - relegation only came about because of the 21 points deduction. We're a Championship team that survived in that League with a squad cut to the bone, now playing in Division One that has had a bit of a rebuild.

We'll swap notes in May.

Edited by Brailsford Ram

31 minutes ago, sage said:

The shots on/off target is meaningless as blocked shots are deemed to be off target. If it was split into 3, i.e. missed/blocked/saved then blocked would be by far the biggest amount.   

This always bugs me. There were some great blocks today (and Tuesday). 

It wasn't as if we were spraying shots into Row Z - or G at Fleetwood! 

10 minutes ago, Brailsford Ram said:

I'll respond to you on this subject at the end of the season. I've noted it in my diary.

Like all of us I'm entitled to an opinion. You've just expressed yours - mid-table mediocrity. From last season we've lost Bielik (Hourihane will contribute more than he did last season), Allsop & Roos(Wildsmith's distribution is much better for playing out from the back), Byrne (good going forward - very average defensively), Ebosele, Plange and Ebowei ( outstanding prospects who have a chance of becoming established Premier League players but last season their exciting promise was not backed up by the number of assists and goals that some of their replacements will contribute in this Division) and Buchanan (I think Roberts looks an improvement).

Don't forget also that Derby are not a typical team relegated from the Championship - relegation only came about because of the 21 points deduction. We're a Championship team that survived in that League with a squad cut to the bone, now playing in Division One that has had a bit of a rebuild.

We'll swap notes in May.

Really can’t wait.

Im just looking at the early shread of evidence and with a statistician’s nose pointing out how it’s looking. “When we gel, fitness etc” is just opinion & conjecture. My hypothesis uses the accumulated evidence. 

1 hour ago, Van der MoodHoover said:

If you accept that each away game is an element drawn from a set of identical events (the set) then the statistical inference can follow. 

However, Charlton we were not fit, so blew up after half time. 

Shrewsbury the pitch was smaller... 

Fleetwood, who knows... 

There are I think, many factors... 

most football fans think Fleetwood lies about half way between Trumpton and Camberwick Green so on that basis I think you take it out of the statistical survey  

2 minutes ago, kevinhectoring said:

most football fans think Fleetwood lies about half way between Trumpton and Camberwick Green so on that basis I think you take it out of the statistical survey  

Yeah, but that trumpton front three of pugh, pugh and barney mcgrew were a force on their day.... ?

7 minutes ago, Ellafella said:

Really can’t wait.

Im just looking at the early shread of evidence and with a statistician’s nose pointing out how it’s looking. “When we gel, fitness etc” is just opinion & conjecture. My hypothesis uses the accumulated evidence. 

And it's also based on just five games out of 46, quite a small sample Statto.

Edited by Brailsford Ram

25 minutes ago, TomTom92 said:

Say what you want about them but even in his first season the football they played was entertaining. We turned up for one match and diddled them.  

Can’t say much entertainment has been had by us so far.

I watched the game today, and I'd argue it was very entertaining creating so much pressure and chances away from home.

Frustrating that we didn't score, but I was encouraged by the performance, not downbeat. 

1 hour ago, jono said:

How did we look on playing out from the back ? Were we a bit slow and sideways again or is it looking more purposeful? 

there's not enough movement in midfield. but we still had some success playing out. But when it wasn't working we sensibly reverted to the longer ball which was working ok. Didn't need to take the heart pills today  - Wildsmith has a good head on him apart from the beard 

5 minutes ago, Brailsford Ram said:

And it's also based on just five games out of 46, quite a small sample Statto.

What number would you base it on, Friendo?

And read what I put - I’ll help you…”Im just looking at the early shread of evidence and with a statistician’s nose pointing out how it’s looking…”

Edited by Ellafella

13 minutes ago, Ellafella said:

Really can’t wait.

and most people's hypothesis is we played well today and were unlucky not to score 

36 minutes ago, Elwood P Dowd said:

As the same classification for shots on/off target was consistent in both games I think we can take some comfort that things improved today. I also saw, with my own eyes, players shooting when a chance presented itself, rather than passing.

I wasn't passing comment on your point,  just the silly way stats are done 

1 minute ago, Ellafella said:

What number would you base it on, Friendo?

And read what I put - I’ll help you…”Im just looking at the early shread of evidence and with a statistician’s nose pointing out how it’s looking…”

Having studied statistics as a discipline in each of my three years at university, thanks for your offer of help but having looked at what you offer, I think I'll have to stick to what my lecturers taught me but thank you it was a very kind thought and I'll respond in kind. Seeing as you like pointing things out, I'll help you with your English; shred is spelt shred not shread. You misspelt it twice.

1 hour ago, LittleEatonRam said:

That's fair enough, and I complety agree that nothing should be beyond criticism. I apologise for the belligerent tone initially. I suppose I just find myself frustrated at the expectations of some fans given our recent turmoil. It's going to take a while to turn this ship around. In the mean time we should all just try to enjoy the ride and be thankful we have a club to support.

No problem, same here, I also apologize for the agressive response. At the end of the day, we are all in the same boat, and want what is best for this great club. COYR! 

2 minutes ago, Brailsford Ram said:

Having studied statistics as a discipline in each of my three years at university, thanks for your offer of help but having looked at what you offer, I think I'll have to stick to what my lecturers taught me but thank you it was a very kind thought and I'll respond in kind. Seeing as you like pointing things out, I'll help you with your English; shred is spelt shred not shread. You misspelt it twice.

Well done on your 3 years. I’ve been a statistician for 32 years now. Good to see also your degree taught you pedantry. “shread” is an obsolete form of the spelling {look it up}. And I stick by my statistical reasoning- everything else is conjecture and opinion. It’s not conclusive and never claimed as such…but statistical reasoning is part science part art. Clearly , things can change but I stick with my hypothesis- we are buying possession and defensiveness at the cost of goal-scoring. It’s Cocu-ball - we won’t lose many but neither will we win many. Just pointing out the early signs. 

37 minutes ago, angieram said:

This always bugs me. There were some great blocks today (and Tuesday). 

It wasn't as if we were spraying shots into Row Z - or G at Fleetwood! 

Yeah, watched the highlights back a minute ago. Lots of valid observations from posters about how our finishing can and should be better, however there was another team involved today whose goalkeeper made a number of decent stops and defenders threw themselves in front of shots to block them. 
Hopefully it clicks soon and we smash in a few to build the confidence and change those draws into wins.