Matchday Thread - Fleetwood Town v Derby County (20/08 15:00)

Ghost of Clough

9 hours ago, Ramos said:

Watch arsenal all or nothing and you’ll see how fickle football fans are. Calling for arteta out this time last year - today singing his name at the final whistle. As he says and as I’m sure Liam will say, believe in the process and have some patience. All the positive signs suggest that once we get in our stride we may become a juggernaut. 

That is indeed the key. And if you don't believe in 'the process'? ps Helps to have Jesus on your side! ?

1 hour ago, Ellafella said:

It’s intriguing @Unlucky Alf. We’re at home to Peterborough next week. They won 4-0 yesterday and a chap we paid £3m for then released for nothing scored 2.

How many will we put past them? Will they {he} score against us? 
What if we don’t score any again? Statistically it’s unlikely that we won’t score - so all very intriguing. 

My Crystal Ball has broken, Marriot I rate highly very highly, Too good for League, He's with A manager that's getting the best out of him it appears, The reason Marriot left was down to others, He's gone so no tears from me, The free market is what it is, Players at the end or beginning of their careers, That's the market we're in, You deal in STATSTICS I believe, I'd like to know if possible out of the 27 shots...who were the shooters, If it was shared around rather than 1 or 2 players then you could be right...there might be an issue.

That referee had sent off two players in his first three games, and his card count was in double figures. He sent off a Burton player inside 2 minutes. 

I wouldn't be surprised if he'd been told to recalibrate his trigger points, because he was being a bit too eager to get the cards out, and we got the "benefit" of that. 

1 hour ago, LeedsCityRam said:

I've seen two posters openly call for him to go...Silko & CSS. Then there are others who are have said even at this point, the football & results won't improve...doesnt take a genius to work out where that summary is taking them. That isnt just criticising yesterday's match/tactics/finishing etc. Then compare both positions to our league & cup record so far of P6 W3 D2 L1 with 4 of those games being away from home.

I predicted two defeats this week. Two agricultural, physical sides away in tight confined grounds, fixtures in which we have historically struggled. Instead, we not only dealt with their threat but dominated them. We're all frustrated we couldnt score in either match but a deserved late goal in both games & we'd be 3rd, a point off the top.

Don't confuse my stance with a lack of ambition by the way. I want Derby to get out League One asap but also recognise its a long slog, a process of gradual improvement & that ultimate judgements can not possibly be made until well into the season. We are well ahead of where I thought we'd be at this point.

Thanks for the clarification btw I openly admit not to selectively reading posts on here after a match day but not trawling through every one.

2 hours ago, roboto said:

I think there were a few posts at the final whistle calling for a change in manager. Possibly in the heat of the moment, possibly because the posters expect too much too soon from this team.

After some time to digest I hope we can all get ready to support the team going forward.

Don't we all support the team though? Honest question.

I haven't been to many games this season but haven't read any comments about the person in the seat next to them continually slagging player x throughout the game.

Though the underlying impression I get on here is that Collins is being turned into a figure of focus quite quickly.

7 minutes ago, Unlucky Alf said:

My Crystal Ball has broken, Marriot I rate highly very highly, Too good for League, He's with A manager that's getting the best out of him it appears, The reason Marriot left was down to others, He's gone so no tears from me, The free market is what it is, Players at the end or beginning of their careers, That's the market we're in, You deal in STATSTICS I believe, I'd like to know if possible out of the 27 shots...who were the shooters, If it was shared around rather than 1 or 2 players then you could be right...there might be an issue.

It’s not the quality of the shooter; more about the quality of the scoring opportunity. We are getting shots in but they are not very obvious chances ie we aren’t obtaining control in the opposing third. 

I can't believe some folk are already moaning, and calling for LR's head.  Love how all the "I don't care what happens this season, I'm just glad we still have our club" enthusiasm has evaporated after 6 games.  I think some folks should give their heads a wobble, and realise that from the position we were in 6 weeks ago, to even be competitive is a minor miracle.  And speaking of heads, a little context, if Jason Knight could head a ball, we'd have got something from 2 of these away games and been 4 points better off.  Fine margins.  Goals will come.

3 minutes ago, Crewton said:

That referee had sent off two players in his first three games, and his card count was in double figures. He sent off a Burton player inside 2 minutes. 

I wouldn't be surprised if he'd been told to recalibrate his trigger points, because he was being a bit too eager to get the cards out, and we got the "benefit" of that. 

I don't want too poo poo refs as there's far too much poo pooing of officials?...but I will, Belper Town yesterday, We were in line for Warringtons equaliser a yard offside even their fans said so, The baby looking linesman/person was ball breakingly awful, The man in the middle lost it in the 2nd half by getting his red card out and sending off 1/2 players for nowt.

We've over the years had a dig at those in black, Down here with the dead men we're going to find...it's another world. Hourihane said that our Captain Bird should be in the refs ear...too right he should, Do you remember when Mick McCarthy when he was manager of Ipswich(I think)we were winning 1-0 McCarthy berated the ref at HT, We lost the game 2-1 ?  

2 minutes ago, Ellafella said:

It’s not the quality of the shooter; more about the quality of the scoring opportunity. We are getting shots in but they are not very obvious chances ie we aren’t obtaining control in the opposing third

I'm sorry but that is nonsense. We were camped in their final third for much of the game. The reason it was hard to get clearer chances was because they parked the bus. Had we put one of the 27 opaque chances away they would have had to come out more and we could have got behind them.   

1 minute ago, ramsbottom said:

I can't believe some folk are already moaning, and calling for LR's head.  Love how all the "I don't care what happens this season, I'm just glad we still have our club" enthusiasm has evaporated after 6 games.  I think some folks should give their heads a wobble, and realise that from the position we were in 6 weeks ago, to even be competitive is a minor miracle.  And speaking of heads, a little context, if Jason Knight could head a ball, we'd have got something from 2 of these away games and been 4 points better off.  Fine margins.  Goals will come.

it is because those people only post when frustrations are high, the worst offenders aren't regular posters 

9 minutes ago, ramsbottom said:

Exactly ?

14 minutes ago, Ellafella said:

It’s not the quality of the shooter; more about the quality of the scoring opportunity. We are getting shots in but they are not very obvious chances ie we aren’t obtaining control in the opposing third. 

Is that true? I’m not spoiling for a fight, it’s a genuine question. I wasn’t there yesterday so only have the highlights to go on but from the club’s own highlights and those on Sky it looks like we did have a number of very good scoring opportunities born from our control in the opposition third and it was a combination of goalkeeping, defence and poor execution (and the absence of a little bit of luck) that stopped us scoring. Can anyone who was there yesterday offer any further insight?

Was it Cashin who swung wildly at an air shot back post? Knight(?) went with a diving header when more composure in the moment may have meant letting it drop and shooting instead? Collins drilled a nice shot for the top corner, might have been better going across the keeper? All things that could improve from increased confidence and training practice.

Edited by Caerphilly Ram

7 minutes ago, sage said:

I'm sorry but that is nonsense. We were camped in their final third for much of the game. The reason it was hard to get clearer chances was because they parked the bus. Had we put one of the 27 opaque chances away they would have had to come out more and we could have got behind them.   

Your argument slips through your fingers like sand @sage. They parked the bus ergo we never got control in their final third. 

Am really struggling to reconcile watching that game yesterday and coming to the conclusion it is a structural issue. Same with Charlton and to a lesser degree Shrewsbury.

I am confident the same game could be played 10 times and we’d win 9. Such is life we didn’t yesterday and dropped points. But we’ll be fine.

Comparing it to anything last season just doesn’t wash fit me. Poles apart.

22 minutes ago, ramsbottom said:

Once again, no one is really calling for LR head... please stop trying associate those criticizing the lack of goals with wanting to sack the manager, your assumption is wrong.

3 minutes ago, DanS1992 said:

Once again, no one is really calling for LR head... please stop trying associate those criticizing the lack of goals with wanting to sack the manager, your assumption is wrong.

Absolutely- I’m trying to understand a run of “bad luck” that is starting to question probability. That’s all. It can and may flip - but any more “bad luck” and it’ll start to be more than bad luck. How many do we think we’ll score next week v P’boro? 

13 minutes ago, Ellafella said:

Your argument slips through your fingers like sand @sage. They parked the bus ergo we never got control in their final third. 

Other than the goals we seemingly can’t score, what would control in their final third look like? We had 27 shots, 8 on target, 62% possession, 13 corners. 
What percentage of those 27 shots came from our own half? How many shots did Wildsmith have? 
It was Fleetwood’s third clean sheet in 4 games, which suggests they set up to be difficult to score against, all the information available says we played well in attack but couldn’t score, which also shows they played well in defence and stopped us scoring.