Matchday Thread - Fleetwood Town v Derby County (20/08 15:00)

Ghost of Clough

3 minutes ago, Ellafella said:

Absolutely- I’m trying to understand a run of “bad luck” that is starting to question probability. That’s all. It can and may flip - but any more “bad luck” and it’ll start to be more than bad luck. How many do we think we’ll score next week v P’boro? 

High scoring draw must be favourite. 

24 minutes ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

Is that true? I’m not spoiling for a fight, it’s a genuine question. I wasn’t there yesterday so only have the highlights to go on but from the club’s own highlights and those on Sky it looks like we did have a number of very good scoring opportunities born from our control in the opposition third and it was a combination of goalkeeping, defence and poor execution (and the absence of a little bit of luck) that stopped us scoring. Can anyone who was there yesterday offer any further insight?

Was it Cashin who swung wildly at an air shot back post? Knight(?) went with a diving header when more composure in the moment may have meant letting it drop and shooting instead? Collins drilled a nice shot for the top corner, might have been better going across the keeper? All things that could improve from increased confidence and training practice.

This is not criticism more critique, 1st half Hourihane should have hit the target and 2nd half Knight should have put his boot through the ball rather than heading it.

Maybe Ellafella has a point, It's not the chances...but quality of the chances, Out of those highlights I'd say with a little more composure from some we could have turned half chances into better opportunities ?‍♀️  

9 minutes ago, Ellafella said:

Absolutely- I’m trying to understand a run of “bad luck” that is starting to question probability. That’s all. It can and may flip - but any more “bad luck” and it’ll start to be more than bad luck. How many do we think we’ll score next week v P’boro? 

If we continue creating chances I’m going to say 2, being the blind optimist I am we have to get some luck or find our shootings boots at some point right? Right?! ?

15 hours ago, angieram said:

Yes, because Hourihane getting in the ref's face earned him a booking and the subsequent awarding of a string of soft free-kicks to Fleetwood. Worked well  that!

I’m not a fan of players hounding referees, I was reflecting on CH’s post match comments. I think the point he was making as a seasoned pro was that some of our younger players need to be a bit more savvy. My interpretation of what he was saying that taking a booking or two is fine if you can exert more influence over the game. Wether any of it makes any difference or did cause us to get a string of soft free kicks against us, who knows? I don’t.

11 minutes ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

Other than the goals we seemingly can’t score, what would control in their final third look like? We had 27 shots, 8 on target, 62% possession, 13 corners. 
What percentage of those 27 shots came from our own half? How many shots did Wildsmith have? 
It was Fleetwood’s third clean sheet in 4 games, which suggests they set up to be difficult to score against, all the information available says we played well in attack but couldn’t score, which also shows they played well in defence and stopped us scoring. 

Take a quick look at Fleetwoods manager and you'll see why they've stopped shipping goals.

1 minute ago, Unlucky Alf said:

This is not criticism more critique, 1st half Hourihane should have hit the target and 2nd half Knight should have put his boot through the ball rather than heading it.

Maybe Ellafella has a point, It's not the chances...but quality of the chances, Out of those highlights I'd say with a little more composure from some we could have turned half chances into better opportunities ?‍♀️  

That’s my thinking too Alf. More confidence and composure for a couple of those chances yesterday and we’d score. Cashin, Knight, Collins, Dobbin, Sibley all with good chances to score, if they managed it we’d be having a slightly more positive view of things I suspect.
Reading one of the match reports apparently Collins blocked a goal bound effort from Hourihane ??‍♂️ how’s your luck eh? 

1 minute ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

That’s my thinking too Alf. More confidence and composure for a couple of those chances yesterday and we’d score. Cashin, Knight, Collins, Dobbin, Sibley all with good chances to score, if they managed it we’d be having a slightly more positive view of things I suspect.
Reading one of the match reports apparently Collins blocked a goal bound effort from Hourihane ??‍♂️ how’s your luck eh? 

He did, It was going out of play ? it's in the highlights ?

1 minute ago, Unlucky Alf said:

Take a quick look at Fleetwoods manager and you'll see why they've stopped shipping goals.

Yeah, agree again, but that doesn’t seem to be factoring into the conversation as much as our own failings. They played very well defensively, that’s a contributing factor to us not scoring and one that I take some confidence from, as at some point other teams won’t perform as well and will be more open in their approach. When that happens we should see a few goals start to build in the “goals for” column.

2 hours ago, LeedsCityRam said:

...Don't confuse my stance with a lack of ambition by the way. I want Derby to get out League One asap but also recognise its a long slog, a process of gradual improvement & that ultimate judgements can not possibly be made until well into the season. We are well ahead of where I thought we'd be at this point.

I think this is the thing. League 1 is grim (imho) and I want the Club back in the Championship asap, others might think differently. I don't agree with your 'a process of gradual improvement' at all though.

So, yes we are doing well, but we really should be doing much better - that has nothing to do with where we have recently come from. Do I think LR is the manager to do it, dunno. But I now think that if we don't go up this season it will be a failure. Again I'm sure others think differently.

When we play a team like Fleetwood, who pack their own area with players, the only time we'll be able to get into good goal scoring positions in their box, is by breaking quickly on the odd occasion they push players forward. Unfortunately, this is one area we struggle with, we rarely seem to break with any pace. Too many times we are ignoring playing a ball over the defence for someone to run on to and too many times a quick break against a short handed defence stops when our ball carrier stops, turns and plays it backwards. We need to take a gamble once in a while when breaking, the worse that can happen is to give possession away deep in the opposition half.

I'm not suggesting route 1 football all the time, but it needs to be mixed up a bit and so put doubt in the opposition's minds. Could you imagine Derby scoring a goal like Everton did yesterday?

1 hour ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

Is that true? I’m not spoiling for a fight, it’s a genuine question. I wasn’t there yesterday so only have the highlights to go on but from the club’s own highlights and those on Sky it looks like we did have a number of very good scoring opportunities born from our control in the opposition third and it was a combination of goalkeeping, defence and poor execution (and the absence of a little bit of luck) that stopped us scoring. Can anyone who was there yesterday offer any further insight?

Was it Cashin who swung wildly at an air shot back post? Knight(?) went with a diving header when more composure in the moment may have meant letting it drop and shooting instead? Collins drilled a nice shot for the top corner, might have been better going across the keeper? All things that could improve from increased confidence and training practice.

I think our best chances came early, they were quite open to start with. As they game wore on  they sank in and as a consequence our chances became less clear, having to shoot through a crowd of players. 

Edited by angieram
Spelling

16 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

I think this is the thing. League 1 is grim (imho) and I want the Club back in the Championship asap, others might think differently. I don't agree with your 'a process of gradual improvement' at all though.

So, yes we are doing well, but we really should be doing much better - that has nothing to do with where we have recently come from. Do I think LR is the manager to do it, dunno. But I now think that if we don't go up this season it will be a failure. Again I'm sure others think differently.

Why do I think that if Rooney had overseen our start to the season, and performances/results had been replicated, that you would be gushing in the step change in our overall approach, and that we need to give him some slack as he is still bedding in new players, coping with injuries, not having a RB, blah, blah, blah.

33 minutes ago, i-Ram said:

Why do I think that if Rooney had overseen our start to the season, and performances/results had been replicated, that you would be gushing in the step change in our overall approach, and that we need to give him some slack as he is still bedding in new players, coping with injuries, not having a RB, blah, blah, blah.

I don't know what do you think?

All I care to comment on is how Rosenior (plus phonecalls with Wayne ? ) has done.

Blah, blah, blah indeed.

Edited by RoyMac5

4 hours ago, angieram said:

But scoring is a habit, we need to do everything we can to get into this habit before the mould is set for the season. 

good points but are you saying that this "mould" as you call it will continue for the season??

because of a couple of games where we've missed chances?

We are creating and dominating and the goals will come 100% that is for sure

The time to worry is when we are not dominating and creating...judging by the reactions to our start to the season I can only imagine the massive meltdown by some on here if we dont dominate and create , if we'd been outplayed and somehow scraped  a 1-0 would fans be happy ? because that wouldn't be sustainable ...dominating possesion and creating chances as City show brings rewards so a bit of patience and we'll be fine 

Some ( not you ) are reacting like we have made a poor start....lets look again after 10 games and see how we are doing as I have faith that our play and dominance will result in more wins than losses