Matchday Thread - Fleetwood Town v Derby County (20/08 15:00)

Ghost of Clough

4 hours ago, tinman said:

You are Charles Hughes and I claim my £10. 

Believe me Charles Hughes’s philosophy is total anathema to the football I wish to see played. Hughes’s approach though is effective and as you’ll know has been successfully adopted by teams in the past. Not for me though.

5 hours ago, Ellafella said:

Show me the post where I said “Derby are clearly bound for mid table mediocrity”. 
It’s a pity that you get so confused and are prone to attack people with your sarcasm who simply try and see if there is something behind the run of “bad luck” . I made no clear prediction about our final league position.

On 20/08/2022 at 21:17, Ellafella said:

1st emboldened: just opinion & not evidence. 
2nd emboldened: low quality chances.

Rosey-ball is simply re-hashed Cocu-ball. Ie set up far too deep, keep possession but at the cost of scoring goals. We haven’t conceded but neither have we scored. Outcome: mediocrity and mid-table. 

Having been at Charlton and Shrewsbury I believe I can say that Rosie ball is not like Cocu ball with exception of the amount of possession entailed. We create multiple chances under Rosie and this continued at Fleetwood. I have never seen Derby dominate in this way for many a year. The results will surely follow.

2 hours ago, Norwichram2 said:

Having been at Charlton and Shrewsbury I believe I can say that Rosie ball is not like Cocu ball with exception of the amount of possession entailed. We create multiple chances under Rosie and this continued at Fleetwood. I have never seen Derby dominate in this way for many a year. The results will surely follow.

To be fair, we haven't seen Derby regularly play against League One standard opposition for many a year.

14 minutes ago, Kokosnuss said:

To be fair, we haven't seen Derby regularly play against League One standard opposition for many a year.

All true but until last year we had the DNA of a different Derby. Last season with the youngsters and now this season with the same youngsters mixed in with some seasoned old heads it’s a different thing altogether. This is the first time in 8 years or so that we have a completely new team as opposed to either the tweaked remains of an old group or a “needs must” from the academy.

There isn’t in my view a huge ability difference between champ and L1 just overall consistency and the lack of parachute clubs

Every game will be a sporting contest with teams having strengths and weaknesses. We certainly have the support advantage in most cases along with (I believe) a better than average skill level. Others have team ethic, determination to claim a scalp and skilled players of their own. Keep doing what we are doing and we will be there or thereabouts post Christmas but no one will be walking away with it. That’s why we have leagues based on merit.