Jason Knight

Heisenberg

This will be the departure that stings the most for me.

Been a personal favourite these past few seasons, puts a shift in wherever he’s played, a real grafter and comes across as an all round decent lad.

Wherever he ends up, I just hope he’s given his central role, the lad deserves it, just because you can shunt him out wide doesn’t mean you should.

Whatever the fee, it will feel too low. 

Tricky one for me. I've never quite seen what others seem to see. Yes I know all about the 'engine', but other than that? He doesn't really control midfield, doesn't really play killer passes, doesn't score big numbers, doesn't make too many killer runs. He's good at everything but not particularly brilliant at anything. I'm not sure he's improving much (or likely to) either. 

I felt a bit like this with Hendrick - another very good young player who I wasn't that fussed about losing and whose post-Derby career went pretty much as I expected. Continued to do lots of things well and nothing brilliantly, became a squad player at lower Premier League level. 

Obviously at League One level Knight would be a huge asset and I don't particularly want to lose him. But in our current circumstances he definitely has a price. He's not irreplaceable. 

Yep, hope we can retain him and Rosie utilities him correctly.

It’s bizarre that most people eulogise about Bryson but some fail to see that Knight is from the same mould…

Great engine, incredible tenacity and an eye for goal.. if deployed correctly you could build your team around him Cashin, Bird and Sibley in the spine of the team..

6 minutes ago, HectorsHouse said:

Yep, hope we can retain him and Rosie utilities him correctly.

It’s bizarre that most people eulogise about Bryson but some fail to see that Knight is from the same mould…

Great engine, incredible tenacity and an eye for goal.. if deployed correctly you could build your team around him Cashin, Bird and Sibley in the spine of the team..

Bryson scored a decent amount of goals though, great ones too. Knight may go on to do that, but as others have pointed out, his main attribute is his engine. I think a few million would help us to get a decent striker when we already have a good midfield.

I agree re Bryson, but I’m actually struggling to see how good our midfield actually is.

It’s widely claimed and conceded that Bielek will leave as will Rava.

So that leaves us with Bird and Tommo..and Max could find suitors from Championship level clubs.

Hourihane is far from nailed on at the moment and is allegedly being courted by Championship clubs.

So I’m actually struggling to see the quality, potential and depth of our midfield that can withstand the rigours of a demanding and physical L1 campaign at the moment.

I have faith it will come together in the end though.

1 hour ago, McMuffin said:

Scott twine went for 4/5M. Never played above L1! 
Knight not only a full international, a key player for an international side made up from Premier league and championship players so yeah I would expect way more than 5M or we have been robbed yet again!

In fairness, I'd never heard of Scott Twine although after his move to Burnley and the subsequent love-in for him (not just from MK Dons fans, but seemingly the entire following of League One clubs) it's safe to say they've got a player with HUGE potential. I can't remember such an outpouring of admiration for one player for a long time - the last time was probably Dele Alli. 

Knight has one goal and one assist in his last 7 months of football - November onwards. He was better in his debut season, although he has recently come on for his national team which helps (as we saw with Hendrick). 

If we get what MK Dons got for Twine then I would be happy. but again - without being able to reinvest it then we wouldn't see the benefits other than club running costs anyway. 

57 minutes ago, David said:

This will be the departure that stings the most for me.

Been a personal favourite these past few seasons, puts a shift in wherever he’s played, a real grafter and comes across as an all round decent lad.

Wherever he ends up, I just hope he’s given his central role, the lad deserves it, just because you can shunt him out wide doesn’t mean you should.

Whatever the fee, it will feel too low. 

You rarely see players with an engine that can still hit maximum revs at 90+3. Knighty may well leave, it will be sad because players like him in midfield are the sort that make teams great. Maybe he won’t hit their heights I, I don’t want to overstate potential but he’s in the mould of Keane, Gerrard and Lampard. Forces of nature. I can think of several times, live and on TV, he isn’t flashy but you saw the fight and the power and felt “this boy could go far” 

51 minutes ago, vonwright said:

Tricky one for me. I've never quite seen what others seem to see. Yes I know all about the 'engine', but other than that? He doesn't really control midfield, doesn't really play killer passes, doesn't score big numbers, doesn't make too many killer runs. He's good at everything but not particularly brilliant at anything. I'm not sure he's improving much (or likely to) either. 

I felt a bit like this with Hendrick - another very good young player who I wasn't that fussed about losing and whose post-Derby career went pretty much as I expected. Continued to do lots of things well and nothing brilliantly, became a squad player at lower Premier League level. 

Obviously at League One level Knight would be a huge asset and I don't particularly want to lose him. But in our current circumstances he definitely has a price. He's not irreplaceable. 

He’s a brilliant pain in the bum to the opposition. He won’t give you a moment’s rest, can keep the ball under pressure until a pass is on or he gets fouled, and is a role model in terms of work ethic.

I think he’s like a lot of Derby players from last season in that he doesn’t seem bothered about scoring goals.

He has enough cover from Bird to know he can tear into the box a la Bryson, he just doesn’t.

He will do a job wherever he goes but just isn’t a natural goal scorer like Bryson was.

Knight isn't just a grafter. He does score goals when in his correct position. I remember in his first season he scored quite a few. Then again in his second season when played in his correct position making late runs into the box. He is like Bryson at times but obviously not the finished article yet. He has some improving to do but I think he has the potential.

Edited by Rammy03

56 minutes ago, alanmarklewis said:

Bryson scored a decent amount of goals though, great ones too. Knight may go on to do that, but as others have pointed out, his main attribute is his engine. I think a few million would help us to get a decent striker when we already have a good midfield.

Other than 13/14, his next best season was 11/12 with just 6 league goals.

5 hours ago, Nuwtfly said:

I was reliably informed that Burnley wouldn't have a pot to piss in on relegation.  Either they do or it's another of the 2.99 offers in which case they can f*** off.   I think he'd be better waiting on a midtable prem move to be honest.  Once we accept a bench mark figure I expect to get better offers from elsewhere.  Wouldn't be surprised if he's gone next couple of days. 20 games this season to establish and then more game time after .  Sell on clause essential. 

Losing knight would be a major blow.

I'm confident derby will not find a better quality midfielder to replace him with, especially as derby are restricted on what they can spend on players.

So is knights replacement to be a player of at least 30 years, who is a free agent because no club wants him, and someone who hasn't half the skills knight has.

I hope the new owner is able too that it's possible to potentially build a promotion campaign around knight, but without him we are maybe a top 8 team.

12 hours ago, Ambitious said:

In fairness, I'd never heard of Scott Twine although after his move to Burnley and the subsequent love-in for him (not just from MK Dons fans, but seemingly the entire following of League One clubs) it's safe to say they've got a player with HUGE potential. I can't remember such an outpouring of admiration for one player for a long time - the last time was probably Dele Alli. 

Knight has one goal and one assist in his last 7 months of football - November onwards. He was better in his debut season, although he has recently come on for his national team which helps (as we saw with Hendrick). 

If we get what MK Dons got for Twine then I would be happy. but again - without being able to reinvest it then we wouldn't see the benefits other than club running costs anyway. 

Don't know much about this bloke but based on the write up thought I'd have a look.   He only managed 50 games in 5 years at Swindon and spent huge chunks of that out on loan at Chippenham Town, Waterford and Newport averaging one goal in 4. Available on a free last summer his go to club was MK Dons. I think they've had their pants down.

I'd take half a Knight over this fella.

6 hours ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

Don't know much about this bloke but based on the write up thought I'd have a look.   He only managed 50 games in 5 years at Swindon and spent huge chunks of that out on loan at Chippenham Town, Waterford and Newport averaging one goal in 4. Available on a free last summer his go to club was MK Dons. I think they've had their pants down.

I'd take half a Knight over this fella.

Scott twine is IMO the next Jarrod Bowen. Exceptional talent. One of the most exciting prospects outside the premier league. 20 goals 13 assists last season, both footed, scores all kinds of goals from any range. Different player to Knight more in Lawrence mould but I think he will be better. Goal scoring creating attacking players will always fetch more money.