Jason Knight

Heisenberg

9 hours ago, alram said:

1388 is right. nobody is going to pay more than 5m to a league one club for the player. talk of 15 to 20 million is cloud cuckoo land stuff. i think 2-3m is what he will end up going for if he leaves. he may be worth more than that but we have no power to demand a serious fee

Don't sell then! He will get called up for Ireland regardless and he will play every game for us, better than sitting on the bench of a club in a higher league. I expect Bird and Knight to both stay. They will improve massively in league one and be better players for the experience.

30 minutes ago, hintonsboots said:

He’s an international footballer yet to reach his peak. He has an incredible engine and covers a similar amount of ground to Connor Gallagher during 90 minutes. I’d be looking at 7-8 million plus a sell on clause.

Maybe if he had 2 or 3 years left on his deal we could try and push for that, but he has 1 year left and if he doesnt want to renew then surely better to get a few million now than a small compo fee next summer

19 minutes ago, Mostyn6 said:

Burnley have to repay about £80million to MSD before the end of the upcoming season. There's no way they're paying fees for players, unless they generate over £40m in transfer fees. Their parachute payment won't cover their loan repayment.

They signed Scott Twine from MK Dons for a fee reported to be between £4-5million so they must be able to spend some money. 
Would be gutted to see Knight go but have sort of been expecting it, if they did pay £4-5m for Twine, who just had a very good season at league one level I would hope we can get a similar fee for Knight who is a full international and been doing the job at championship level for a couple of seasons now. 

Edited by Caerphilly Ram

42 minutes ago, Mostyn6 said:

Burnley have to repay about £80million to MSD before the end of the upcoming season. There's no way they're paying fees for players, unless they generate over £40m in transfer fees. Their parachute payment won't cover their loan repayment.

They could spend up to £10m as they sold pope 

Absolute minimum £5million - would prefer to keep obviously - how much would it cost to buy him back in in a year or two ?

anyway Frank needs him at Everton so wait for their money which will be between £8-10 million 

Typical, it was always going to be bloody Burnley.

Do not sell Knight unless someone comes in with a big offer. We are not in a position where we have to sell anymore, he still has years left on his contact and it doesn't look like we'll be able to reinvest the money back in the playing squad anyway.

10 minutes ago, QuitYourJibbaJivin said:

Does anybody know If we were to bring money in from transfers are we then allowed to spend money on transfers? I was the under impression that currently we are banned from doing so under the terms of the business plan. 

The business plan wouldn't prohibit us from spending money on transfer fees if fairness and equality is applied (see Wigan's transfers last summer when they exited admin)

Edited by Ghost of Clough

I'd prefer to shift Knight than SIbley or Bird, personally. I do like Knight, but feel like Thompson brings a lot of the same skillset to the team. We have Robinson, again, a similar player who is highly thought of in the academy too. I don't watch the academy anywhere near as much as I used to, might start again this season, so don't know how good he is at the moment.

Knight was a bit of a disappointment last season, although his energy and effort was never in question, he definitely wasn't great - although I do think he was played out of position a lot of the time. 1 goal and 1 assist in his last 7 months of football for a player who predominantly played in attacking positions. 

Obviously, I would want a good fee for him as he's got a ton of potential, but to raise funds then it makes sense for all parties. If we categorically can't reinvest the money in purchases then it becomes a tough decision as he helps running costs but weakens the squad.

13 minutes ago, QuitYourJibbaJivin said:

Does anybody know If we were to bring money in from transfers are we then allowed to spend money on transfers? I was the under impression that currently we are banned from doing so under the terms of the business plan. 

I don't think so. It would mean we could spend more on wages though I think

2 minutes ago, Ambitious said:

I'd prefer to shift Knight than SIbley or Bird, personally. I do like Knight, but feel like Thompson brings a lot of the same skillset to the team. We have Robinson, again, a similar player who is highly thought of in the academy too. I don't watch the academy anywhere near as much as I used to, might start again this season, so don't know how good he is at the moment.

Knight was a bit of a disappointment last season, although his energy and effort was never in question, he definitely wasn't great - although I do think he was played out of position a lot of the time. 1 goal and 1 assist in his last 7 months of football for a player who predominantly played in attacking positions. 

Obviously, I would want a good fee for him as he's got a ton of potential, but to raise funds then it makes sense for all parties. If we categorically can't reinvest the money in purchases then it becomes a tough decision as he helps running costs but weakens the squad.

Knight is a box to box central midfielder but Rooney often played him out wide. You see the best of him in a three man midfield as one of the two number 8's.

4 minutes ago, Rammy03 said:

Knight is a box to box central midfielder but Rooney often played him out wide. You see the best of him in a three man midfield as one of the two number 8's.

I think our issue was we had Knight, Thompson and Bird who are all good players but all very unlikely to score.

Without goals from midfield we are always likely to struggle, so we need a better mix.

7 minutes ago, Rammy03 said:

Agreed - he's a Bryson prototype and should be used as such. Wasted out wide left and it showed in performances and production.