Jason Knight

Heisenberg

49 minutes ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

I keep reading this but he got 7 in 31 in his first season as a midfield runner off a front man.  Some of them were as sub as well.  Wasted at full back and out wide.

When we play a 4-2-3-1 there just doesn’t appear to be a spot for Knight. If we play 4-4-2 there isn’t a spot. So it’s only 4-3–3 which most teams don’t play anymore in the Prem/Champ. Teams are too scared and want two defensive midfields to shield.

19 minutes ago, rammieib said:

When we play a 4-2-3-1 there just doesn’t appear to be a spot for Knight. If we play 4-4-2 there isn’t a spot. So it’s only 4-3–3 which most teams don’t play anymore in the Prem/Champ. Teams are too scared and want two defensive midfields to shield.

That’s nonsense. He can fit in any of those formations. His versatility using his energy is his downfall because he will do a job in so many other positions so when there’s not an adequate alternative he’s the first to move, because invariably we always seem to have more central options than elsewhere (even if they’re not as good as Knight). 

2 hours ago, Rich3478 said:

He’d be great in a midfield three like Bryson wouldn’t he. Licence to bomb on, think he’d score goals.

Yep and he has in his first season of first team football. Cocu played him as a conventional/box to box midfielder and he did really well. 

Imo i would get rid of Knight for the right price, even more so if he doesnt renew his contract. He is jack of all trades but a master of none type of player. Has alot of energy but little end product. If he is played out wide he rarely beats his man, and if he does he tends to smash it low & hard or over hits his cross. Not good enough on the ball to play CDM, not creative enough to play CAM so unless we play a 433 so he can play his best position which is an energetic box to box midfielder I dont see where he fits in to the current formations. In a 4231 he will do a job wherever but not as well as someone who plays there regularly.

35 minutes ago, DCFC1388 said:

Imo i would get rid of Knight for the right price, even more so if he doesnt renew his contract. He is jack of all trades but a master of none type of player. Has alot of energy but little end product. If he is played out wide he rarely beats his man, and if he does he tends to smash it low & hard or over hits his cross. Not good enough on the ball to play CDM, not creative enough to play CAM so unless we play a 433 so he can play his best position which is an energetic box to box midfielder I dont see where he fits in to the current formations. In a 4231 he will do a job wherever but not as well as someone who plays there regularly.

Love him as a player but the above is fair comment.

Like the majority on here, I would deffo be looking to get rid of Knight.  He's only been man of the match playing his actual position in international football 3 games in a row. Absolute crap and he can't even play out of position out wide or at fullback.  Get shot now and bring in McDonald or Stephens for that hard running 36 year old box to box engine.  They've only played 20 games between them in 3 years so loads in the tank.  Knights nowhere near good enough for mid table league 1. Sod off Jason.

7 hours ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

Like the majority on here, I would deffo be looking to get rid of Knight.  He's only been man of the match playing his actual position in international football 3 games in a row. Absolute crap and he can't even play out of position out wide or at fullback.  Get shot now and bring in McDonald or Stephens for that hard running 36 year old box to box engine.  They've only played 20 games between them in 3 years so loads in the tank.  Knights nowhere near good enough for mid table league 1. Sod off Jason.

Its not about him not being a good player, he is when played in his actual position like he does for Ireland, but he isnt going to do that here so he is going to be shoehorned into a position where there are better options. Currently the latest position is right back, but thats only until we get a proper right back in, then where does Knight play? More than likely on the bench.

15 minutes ago, DCFC1388 said:

Its not about him not being a good player, he is when played in his actual position like he does for Ireland, but he isnt going to do that here so he is going to be shoehorned into a position where there are better options. Currently the latest position is right back, but thats only until we get a proper right back in, then where does Knight play? More than likely on the bench.

Disagree. He gets shoehorned elsewhere because there’s no one else in those other positions who can do the job, not because he’s not better than other central midfield options. Sign right backs, sign wingers, play him centrally. 

10 hours ago, Srg said:

That’s nonsense. He can fit in any of those formations. His versatility using his energy is his downfall because he will do a job in so many other positions so when there’s not an adequate alternative he’s the first to move, because invariably we always seem to have more central options than elsewhere (even if they’re not as good as Knight). 

Absolutely spot on - we lose him we lose effectively 4 players from the squad - in fact last season he regularly played in about 3 positions in every game it seemed.

41 minutes ago, DCFC1388 said:

Bird and Knight start no matter what. It's who else we choose to start which determines where Knight fits into the 11. When we eventually sign a RB, it will be Bird, Knight and Hourihane in the middle.

33 minutes ago, Srg said:

Disagree. He gets shoehorned elsewhere because there’s no one else in those other positions who can do the job, not because he’s not better than other central midfield options. Sign right backs, sign wingers, play him centrally. 

Agreed - I would personally rather see Smith play RB and Knight lined up next to Bird in CM. 

Byrne being an absolute bell end has made life tricky in that regard.

58 minutes ago, Ambitious said:

Agreed - I would personally rather see Smith play RB and Knight lined up next to Bird in CM. 

Byrne being an absolute bell end has made life tricky in that regard.

Agree with this completely. I would back Bird's ability to step up and own the CDM slot and push Knight and Hourihane in front of him to give us more a attacking set up. Knight has enough energy to get up and down and support Bird. Knight has goals in him, I'm convinced but he needs to be given the opportunity to buzz around the box a la Bryson.

I do fear he'll play 2 CDM and we will struggle to connect midfield to attack.

We have the personnel to play on the front foot, press and dominate this season and I think we'll come unstuck if we play too conservatively. 

The tactical set up we have seen reminds me of Nigel Clough, great side and the right possession based approach but too cautious, particularly away from home. I'd much rather we went for it and let our players express themselves further up the pitch.

2 hours ago, DCFC1388 said:

In midfield as a runner of McGoldrick or other ideally.  I can't see any better options for that role.  If McGoldricks playing we need runners of him or I can't see any role for him.  Then were missing two better players. 

12 hours ago, Ram1988 said:

I think Knight fits the system well as a box to box midfielder with Bird or sitting slightly deeper. Smith can play either role.

I think you’re right, This 2 deep sitting midfielders doesn’t feel right for me. It will be interesting how we set up on Saturday. 

11 minutes ago, B4ev6is said:

Has jasion knight signed a new contract then.

He doesn't need to right now mate. Got another year to run. However, he will probably want paying more than we can offer under our agreed business plan when his contract is up for renewal.