League 1 now...

MackworthRamIsGod

I imagine the administrators have conceded knowing that there is a buyer (probably Kirchner, possibly Appleby & Co) who is keen to push through a deal with our financial / league position finally established.

If it’s true, the rebuild starts now. Rooney should have full license to recruit for League 1 and to set up a system designed to win games and not just mitigate damages.

Give the fans football to be excited about, even if our fate is set.

42 minutes ago, SouthernRam said:

I imagine the administrators have conceded knowing that there is a buyer (probably Kirchner, possibly Appleby & Co) who is keen to push through a deal with our financial / league position finally established.

If it’s true, the rebuild starts now. Rooney should have full license to recruit for League 1 and to set up a system designed to win games and not just mitigate damages.

Give the fans football to be excited about, even if our fate is set.

I would love to know the thinking by it all though, timings etc.

Why spend all that time appealing to drop it last minute and then accept the 9 anyway?

I would have thought any potential buyer would have been happy to wait a few more weeks.

My only guess is the EFL came in all guns blazing, either accept the deductions or we drag our heels until you rot. It wouldn't surprise me.

I'll take a consistent run on 3pm Saturday games, with no international breaks. It's not going to feel glamorous, far from it, but it is what you make it. The possibility of new away grounds is exciting to me. I'm genuinely looking forward to a bit of a change. 

Football is football at the end of the day. We've been a low scoring, largely dull side under a transfer embargo for the past two seasons. I couldn't care less about being one step further from a division I haven't seen since I was a teenager. If all I was interested in was the Premier League, I'd travel 30 minutes in the other direction and watch Leicester. 

I would like to think once the ownership is settled, the club will start making moves to map out the futures of our current players.

If we can start next season with Bird, Sibley, Williams, Ebosele, Solomon, Cashin, Watson, Hutchinson and Stretton, it would give us something to work with at the very least.

I am also hopeful that as long serving players, the likes of Roos, Davies, Forsyth and Kazim would be keen to extend their stay, be a guiding hand, and help us to bounce back.

Outside of those players, I would expect big changes. Knight, Buchanan, Bielik and Jozwiak will surely all be sold in the coming months. Lawrence, Shinnie, Byrne and Marshall will leave on free transfers. Morrison and the embargo boys will surely go too.

The worry for me is, what does Rooney know about League 1? Does he have any idea what works or a particular aptitude for lower league football? How will his experience of almost exclusively top level, elite football help us going forward?

Personally I would be looking at someone with a proven record in League One and someone who has built a squad in the lower leagues that can reasonably compete when the step up comes along.

We need someone who can do what Mark Robins has done at Coventry, for example.

The majority of matches on a Saturday afternoon with 3.00 pm kick-off's.

As someone has already mentioned, football is football, and if it's played by Derby County, and you support them, then you'll follow them in whatever division they will be playing in.

You might not think some of those clubs are "big clubs", but there's Sunderland, Sheffield Wednesaday & Ipswich, who were, not too long agao on par with us in the Championship and higher. And the "smaller clubs" will surprise us as they up their game and try to rough you up if you don't have some muscle and stand up to them.

At times it won't be pretty but if we've had an injection of money for new players, then we'll see some good games, and besides. we'll be going to grounds and see other teams that we've never played against before.

Their fans will give us some stick but we can take it and give it back - Come on you Rams!!

What do we have left:? the fan base,  the name/brand, the heritage/history and a mish mash  of players. And huge debt.

We don’t own  the ground or the training facilities,

if we go out of business and start again we won’t even have the name/brand or heritage anymore

the fans are the only constant

Edited by StrawHillRam

3 hours ago, bimmerman said:

Since when have Sunderland, Sheffield Wednesday, Ipswich, Wigan, Bolton, Charlton, Portsmouth been cool?!

Bar Wednesday, they’ve all accomplished more than Derby in my lifetime be it a higher placed PL finish, cup final or European run, unfortunately. 

Several clubs have gone prem to league 1 and back (e.g. Norwich, Southampton, Leeds) - might be the kick up the backside that shows we’re not a prem club by right and brings an end to 13 ultimately frustrating seasons - although in the play-offs several times feels to me there’s always been a stretch and a scrap to go up and not assembled a team that secured a decent top two finish that makes surviving in the prem more likely. Very nearly got there, but the teams that gelled faded.

Part of me wishes League One happened straight after 2008, if that had happened I bet we’d have been in the prem again by now.

I enjoyed those couple of 80s seasons in Div 3 so looking forward to finally assembling a team that can boss that league and then the championship - but we need another Arthur Cox. Without that I’d be more confident with Nigel in charge for League One. That’s not going to happen, but I’m looking forward to a fresh start next season.