League 1 now...

MackworthRamIsGod

On 12/11/2021 at 09:25, Ravabeerbelly said:

League 1 is brutal. As a level it has improved and clubs in it have refined their styles and become far more technical to an extent however the overriding requirement to be successful in it is physicality.

Its not so much that to be successful you have to play a more direct game but it’s how you deal with playing against those sides that do.

In possession you can have your own style of course and more and more sides are trying to be a little more attractive but the majority of them still rely of percentages and physicality so in order to play “your style” you still have to compete to win the ball back and so your requirements out of possession change completely.

In the Championship players and teams place a heavy reliance on defending tactically. Shape, pressing triggers, interceptions and game reading. It’s how players like Max Bird survive defensively in those deeper positions. Of course there is a need to be able to head it and tackle but it’s more more likely to be around your box and dealt with by defenders and Gk.

In league 1 it’s everywhere. All areas of the pitch and all players are needed to show a level of proficiency in the more ‘gritty’ side of the game. Opposition gk kick it more regularly, defenders clear it even when they could play out. Midfielders hook it on. The game is about playing for position not possession.

While I don’t doubt the technical abilities of many of our players to play pro football…even championship football, if anyone thinks it’s those talents that will get us promoted or see those players tear up the league they are sadly mistaken. 

Rotherham are a prime example of showing the differences. In the Championship they were found wanting in the technical department. They had good players, were well organised, had a game plan and gave most teams a battle. But they were lacking that little bit of quality or class that makes a difference against players and teams of that level. In league 1 they are now 13 unbeaten and challenging right at the top of the division. They compete all over the pitch. Players are big strong and quick. They get the ball into the box at every opportunity and give teams hell. Of course they have good players and a good manager but it does demonstrate what is required to be successful in that league.  

And let's face it, we struggled to get the better of Rotherham in the Championship trying to play football against them, even at their place we threw a 0-3 lead away.

We have been powder puff for about 30 years when it comes to physicality, we've needed more power and aggression for decades and I get bored of mentioning it, and that is what Bournemouth have, they may have got out of Division One playing football, but they got stuck in, doing so, and they get stuck in using the physical side and technical side of the game, now in the Championship.

We currently have Shinnie that get's stuck in, but gets yellow carded instantly, a centre forward and a couple of central defenders at the end of their careers that slowly try to get stuck in, a bloke injured that gets stuck in, but might get injured again, and his mate that gets slightly more stuck in for Poland, and a load of kids that get pushed off the ball in the Championship and for the U23's, U18's etc, and if you watch them train in the clips on We Are Derby on the pitch or in the gym it doesn't appear that aspect of the game is a priority, when it looks to some of us as a major requirement now and going forwards.

24 minutes ago, Inverurie Ram said:

And let's face it, we struggled to get the better of Rotherham in the Championship trying to play football against them, even at their place we threw a 0-3 lead away.

We have been powder puff for about 30 years when it comes to physicality, we've needed more power and aggression for decades and I get bored of mentioning it, and that is what Bournemouth have, they may have got out of Division One playing football, but they got stuck in, doing so, and they get stuck in using the physical side and technical side of the game, now in the Championship.

We currently have Shinnie that get's stuck in, but gets yellow carded instantly, a centre forward and a couple of central defenders at the end of their careers that slowly try to get stuck in, a bloke injured that gets stuck in, but might get injured again, and his mate that gets slightly more stuck in for Poland, and a load of kids that get pushed off the ball in the Championship and for the U23's, U18's etc, and if you watch them train in the clips on We Are Derby on the pitch or in the gym it doesn't appear that aspect of the game is a priority, when it looks to some of us as a major requirement now and going forwards.

We will need another Rob Hindmarsh (RiP)

Sitting on my sofa watching TV, I heard someone in the kitchen. “Eh up” I cried ( knowing it was my 16 yr old son who had had an anoki curry 2-3 hrs ago and would still be  be hungry ) he walked in the front room to ask “what?” Wearing the DCFC home kit shirt. My heart swelled. Let’s do this !!
COYR!!!!!!

When I heard the news about the extra 9 points coming our way it felt like a weight being lifted to be honest. I immediately decided to purchase a Rams membership and I’ve already discussed with my mate what games we’ll be going to between now and the end of the season. I am genuinely looking forward to next season as well - I’ve never been to Shrewsbury or Cheltenham! COYR!

Roos/allsopp 

Ebosele cashin Davies Williams

Watson  Bird 

Knight         Hutchinson    ?????

Stretton/CKR

At the moment that's if we can keep Knight, Bird or ebosele.

Byrne, buchanan bielik, Jozwiak,Lawrence etc will all go either end of contract or nominal fee, its a major reset and not sure the players there will cut it in a tough league 1.... 

4 minutes ago, Ilsonram12 said:

Roos/allsopp 

Ebosele cashin Davies Williams

Watson  Bird 

Knight         Hutchinson    ?????

Stretton/CKR

At the moment that's if we can keep Knight, Bird or ebosele.

Byrne, buchanan bielik, Jozwiak,Lawrence etc will all go either end of contract or nominal fee, its a major reset and not sure the players there will cut it in a tough league 1.... 

But wasn't it league 1 that Bielik caught the eye with his performances for Charlton?.,  

Derby County can build a League One promotion-winning squad, but it will be costly.

The recruitment must have begun. 

We need promotion winners, men, and people who just win matches when told.

Several Derby players are out of contract in the next six months, and something must change to resurrect the ship.

Many of Derby's players aren't good enough to get promoted.

Agent fees, signing on fees, relocation money, and wages are all financial packages for players.

Promotion winners are usually good players. 

They have CVs, 300 league games, promotion and have been near the top.

The top seven in League One earn between £3,000 and £5,000 per week, with some earning up to £10,000.

Even in the lower divisions, some big clubs pay over £2,000 per week.

So, packages are £100,000 per year plus agents' fees, signing on fees, and relocation. A striker makes £200,000 a year.

Derby should be looking at paying a quality striker at least £300,000 a year - probably £350,000 for a striker - a complete package, in League one.

2 minutes ago, Oldben said:

Derby County can build a League One promotion-winning squad, but it will be costly.

Several Derby players are out of contract in the next six months, and something must change to resurrect the ship.

Agent fees, signing on fees, relocation money, and wages are all financial packages for players.

The top seven in League One earn between £3,000 and £5,000 per week, with some earning up to £10,000.

So, packages are £100,000 per year plus agents' fees, signing on fees, and relocation. A striker makes £200,000 a year.

Derby should be looking at paying a quality striker at least £300,000 a year - probably £350,000 for a striker - a complete package, in League one.

We have to hope that by some miracle Ole Gunner is still in charge of Man U come January and next season, I can see us getting a few lads on loan.

11 minutes ago, MackworthRamIsGod said:

We have to hope that by some miracle Ole Gunner is still in charge of Man U come January and next season, I can see us getting a few lads on loan.

In my opinion, new owners will not spend millions buying the club to give us a bargain basement team in League one.

Especially as they will want promotion in the first season in League one.

58 minutes ago, Oldben said:

So, no chance then? ?

We should sell Lawrence Belick and Jozwiak in January without question for what ever we can get 

if by a small miracle we can keep knight,Bird,Buchanan and Sibley then we have a future on the pitch that would be interesting to buy a ticket to watch but if they are sold or those that can walk away do walk away then it’s looking like a miserable future and if that happens then there is no point spending £6 million per year on an academy where all the promising ones walk away or are stolen by premiership vultures for relative peanuts. If that happens the whole academy needs shutting down immediately because it’s simply uneconomic.

I would look to try keep the likes of Sibley, Knight and Buchanan who came up through the academy and the shirt means something to them. While the likes of Lawrence and Jozwiak we should look to move on to free up fund and freedom in wage budget.

In return look to get in hungry players who have a point to prove including some who have league one experience. We will be will be a big draw for most players from league one and two.

15 hours ago, Ilsonram12 said:

Aye it was, but despite his injuries he's an ambitious player, sure he gave a timescale to be playing in the Premier with or without Derby, don't think league 1 matches that

Bielik is bound to go I reckon. Perhaps it means we’ll see him at his best once he’s back, because he’ll be trying to show teams in the PL how good he still is

Those who say MM had bad luck only have to point at Bielik. What would have happened if he’d stayed fit ?

48 minutes ago, kevinhectoring said:

Bielik is bound to go I reckon. Perhaps it means we’ll see him at his best once he’s back, because he’ll be trying to show teams in the PL how good he still is

Those who say MM had bad luck only have to point at Bielik. What would have happened if he’d stayed fit ?

Yeah there's an alternative universe where prime Bielik and prime Thorne are playing together in some England-style formation, and are the best midfield in the league. And if we'd have had that base it would have made a lot of our other players look a lot better. 

Was looking at the 1985/86 promotion squad and realised we had some decent players that year (and Phil Gee, too):

Goalkeeper
Eric Steele 
Mark Wallington 

Defender
Paul Blades 
Steven Buckley 
Rob Hindmarch 
Mickey Lewis
David Linighan 
Ross MacLaren 
Charlie Palmer

Midfielder
Jeff Chandler 
Andy Garner 
John Gregory 
Steve McClaren 
Gary Micklewhite 
David Penney 
Mickey Thomas
Geraint Williams 

Forward
Trevor Christie 
Bobby Davison 
Phil Gee 

Manager
Arthur Cox 

Right, let's get building for League One then!

Any player who's definitely not going to be here next season wouldn't be playing again in my team now. Give as many academy lads as possible some first team experience. Get some experienced (Champ/L1) heads in on loan in Jan that we could possibly pick up for free in the summer.