League 1 now...

MackworthRamIsGod

The Derby County fantasy of playing in League 1 just so you can get to go to "proper football grounds" is very strange. Honestly blows my mind that anyone could think of anything positive to playing League 1 football.

Why aren't we angry that this has happened to our club?

We've slated past players for being "spineless". Our fans seem just the same, we've just rolled over and let the people who have done this walk out the front door with a goody bag.

23 minutes ago, WamRam said:

The Derby County fantasy of playing in League 1 just so you can get to go to "proper football grounds" is very strange. Honestly blows my mind that anyone could think of anything positive to playing League 1 football.

We've slated past players for being "spineless". Our fans seem just the same, we've just rolled over and let the people who have done this walk out the front door with a goody bag.

Glass half full? Denial? Dunno. 

There’s not a lot we can do about it, so is grasping for any crumb of comfort better than getting angry? TBF l, I’m sure deep down many of us are still secretly hoping we’ll find a way out of this, but I’m sure the fury will come once it’s a mathematical certainty, rather than likelihood.

40 minutes ago, WamRam said:

You obviously didnt read through the mel morris trend on twitter yesterday evening.  I think most fans are both furious and very sad it has come to this but the stoical optimistic trenches humorous outlook is what i like about this forum and the posters. Spineless is insulting to those who can obviously separate supporting the team and players from those who have caused this.   Out of interest what should fans have done instead of your last sentence? 

Just now, CBRammette said:

You obviously didnt read through the mel morris trend on twitter yesterday evening.  I think most fans are both furious and very sad it has come to this but the stoical optimistic trenches humorous outlook is what i like about this forum and the posters. Spineless is insulting to those who can obviously separate supporting the team and players from those who have caused this.   Out of interest what should fans have done instead of your last sentence? 

And many can see the real possibility still of our club going out of existence. So compared to that yes being in league one is a fantasy for many who can also remember the great time that followed our relegation to the third tier last time. 

22 minutes ago, CBRammette said:

And many can see the real possibility still of our club going out of existence. So compared to that yes being in league one is a fantasy for many who can also remember the great time that followed our relegation to the third tier last time. 

Something something live in the past...

The difference between the second and third tier 40 years ago isn't the same.

1 hour ago, WamRam said:

Don’t read too much into it buddy. It’s just folk scratching around for anything positive from something we can’t influence and it doesn’t mean we’re not sad or angry. It also doesn’t mean the fans are spineless. Like I say, it’s not as if there is anything we can do about it other than turn up in decent numbers and support the team - which is what we’re doing.

3 minutes ago, WamRam said:

Agreed. League one is a graveyard of fallen giants, low league yoyo teams and Sunday league teams.

You would think we did so well in 1986 but we got promoted in 3rd by 1 point over Wigan and that was just because there was no play off places.

9 minutes ago, WamRam said:

Í remember the 3rd Tier, it was truly awful. 
Miserable away grounds, half full home attendances, agro as other fans tried to get one over a big club.

Only saving grace was that we win some games and got promoted (just) in our 2nd season.

It’s like comparing Skegness compared to Miami Beach

Team for League 1...

Most likely players to be sold/released: Marshall, Byrne, Jagielka (retired), Buchanan, Bird, Knight, Bielik, Morrison, Lawrence, Jozwiak, Kazim

Manager: Rooney
Coaching team: as is, plus Jagielka

GK: Roos, Allsop, Foulkes
RB: Festy, McDonald
CB: Davies, Stearman, Cashin, JBrown
LB: Williams, Forsyth
CM: Shinnie, LThompson, Watson, Dixon
AM: Sibley, Hutchinson
RW: ??, ??
LW: ??, ??
CF: Stretton, Baldock

Need to play our best team for now though, get the most possible for the players we're going to sell.

1 hour ago, WamRam said:

Am sure a lot of supporters still are to be fair.

Personally I'm beyond that emotion now, have to say am very weary and tired and any energy I have isn't going to be profitably served venting my spleen at the club owner who predominantly got us into this situation.

That still won't change anything, for me the person now has gone from the club and maybe in a few years time I'll reflect in a more balanced way about their tenure.

I've even grown weary of having debates with the same posters on here trying to defend the indefensible as again banging your head against a brick wall serves no purpose. 

Time to move on.

37 minutes ago, Tyler Durden said:

Am sure a lot of supporters still are to be fair.

Personally I'm beyond that emotion now, have to say am very weary and tired and any energy I have isn't going to be profitably served venting my spleen at the club owner who predominantly got us into this situation.

That still won't change anything, for me the person now has gone from the club and maybe in a few years time I'll reflect in a more balanced way about their tenure.

I've even grown weary of having debates with the same posters on here trying to defend the indefensible as again banging your head against a brick wall serves no purpose. 

Time to move on.

Onwards and downwards

1 hour ago, StrawHillRam said:

Í remember the 3rd Tier, it was truly awful. 
Miserable away grounds, half full home attendances, agro as other fans tried to get one over a big club.

Only saving grace was that we win some games and got promoted (just) in our 2nd season.

It’s like comparing Skegness compared to Miami Beach

Yeah!!! Give me Skeggy any time

League One doesn't operate FFP like the Championship does. Instead of Profit and Sustainability (P&S) rules clubs operate under the Salary Cost Management Protocol (SCMP) which restricts salaries to 60% of the turnover. Given that Derby would have one of the largest turnovers in the division (probably the largest if Sunderland go up) and that all of our high earners will have gone (most already have), I think it gives the management team some scope to build a very competitive squad around the talented young players on our books.

Of course some of our best players will be sold (or released), but I don't think it will be the clear out some might imagine.

And, as I have said before, League One is just the same old circus but with new towns in which to pitch the big top. After all, the mere act of going to the football each week is far more important than the football you are going to! Otherwise we'd all be Man City fans.

Edited by StarterForTen

1 hour ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Team for League 1...

Most likely players to be sold/released: Marshall, Byrne, Jagielka (retired), Buchanan, Bird, Knight, Bielik, Morrison, Lawrence, Jozwiak, Kazim

Manager: Rooney
Coaching team: as is, plus Jagielka

GK: Roos, Allsop, Foulkes
RB: Festy, McDonald
CB: Davies, Stearman, Cashin, JBrown
LB: Williams, Forsyth
CM: Shinnie, LThompson, Watson, Dixon
AM: Sibley, Hutchinson
RW: ??, ??
LW: ??, ??
CF: Stretton, Baldock

Need to play our best team for now though, get the most possible for the players we're going to sell.

January is going to be very interesting, I think I make it 18 players out of contract by the end of the season. 

Some of them we can let contracts run down, but a lot need to either sign new contracts or be sold while we can.