League 1 now...

MackworthRamIsGod

55 minutes ago, MackworthRamIsGod said:

Reading are about to be hit with a 9 point deduction. With our impending 9 points it leaves us 16 points from safety.

An absolute mountain to climb but not unachievable.

It'd be great to be told the basis for these deductions, because I'm fairly sure Reading have breached for more than one period.

2 hours ago, The Key Club King said:

he game v Chorley last year

That wasn't even the first pick of the U23s though. In fact it was barely even the 2nd choice U23s. Some players had to pull out of the squad at the last minute due to Covid.

GK - 4th choice
RB - 3rd choice 
LB - 3rd choice
CB - 5th, 6th and 7th choice
CM - only Dixon missing
CF - 3rd and 4th choice

All of our wingers were either injured or in quarantine too. 

We would have won that game with fully fit and available U23 team: Foster; Festy, JBrown, Cashin, Archie; Dixon, LThompson, Hutchinson; Shonibare, Stretton, Wilson

Wassall, Williams, McDonald, Duncan, Cresswell, Hector-Ingram, etc on the bench...

11 hours ago, Arsene Titman said:

Could someone please clarify the effect of Administration on future transfer dealings. I am under the impression that the club will be subject to a 2 year transfer embargo of some sort.

I think that’s only if we don’t pay 25% to our creditors and agree to a business plan. So as long as we find a buyer who pays then it won’t apply. 

14 hours ago, LazloW said:

The football will be grim, but it will be different. Different can be good. Different can be exciting…. Clutching at straws can be good too.

Exactly....nobody is sugar coating the standard of football, those that say league was good last time may be living in the past, that’s where we ducking come from.

Life like football is what you make of it, park the entitlement, enjoy it for what it is. At least with modern stadia, most of the time you don’t have to wade in puddles of urine in the away bogs, that can’t cope with a few thousand away fans. Walsall away was always an experience ?

League 1 will be, what it will be, too much doom and gloom sometimes, I’ll just be happy to see us reset and follow the team to a new future, just like last time, it will feel awful but then the challenge of trying to get back up will begin.

Sunderland, Derby, Sheff Wed, Ipswich, Portsmouth. That was basically a bog standard 6- 10 th place in the premier league about 20 years ago.  Probably all in the championship top 6 at the very least. Going to be hard as poo to get out  league 1 methinks.  In the meantime,  Bournemouth top the championship with a 70 million wage bill and 1000 fans for every 10 million on it  hurrah !!.  dead fair this championship football. The championship will look like the average Third division fixture list as it was for 100 years soon, then there'll be no money in it and no attraction to the premier league to have teams promoted and they'll close it off.  Then they can all baalocks. 

League 1 is brutal. As a level it has improved and clubs in it have refined their styles and become far more technical to an extent however the overriding requirement to be successful in it is physicality.

Its not so much that to be successful you have to play a more direct game but it’s how you deal with playing against those sides that do.

In possession you can have your own style of course and more and more sides are trying to be a little more attractive but the majority of them still rely of percentages and physicality so in order to play “your style” you still have to compete to win the ball back and so your requirements out of possession change completely.

In the Championship players and teams place a heavy reliance on defending tactically. Shape, pressing triggers, interceptions and game reading. It’s how players like Max Bird survive defensively in those deeper positions. Of course there is a need to be able to head it and tackle but it’s more more likely to be around your box and dealt with by defenders and Gk.

In league 1 it’s everywhere. All areas of the pitch and all players are needed to show a level of proficiency in the more ‘gritty’ side of the game. Opposition gk kick it more regularly, defenders clear it even when they could play out. Midfielders hook it on. The game is about playing for position not possession.

While I don’t doubt the technical abilities of many of our players to play pro football…even championship football, if anyone thinks it’s those talents that will get us promoted or see those players tear up the league they are sadly mistaken. 

Rotherham are a prime example of showing the differences. In the Championship they were found wanting in the technical department. They had good players, were well organised, had a game plan and gave most teams a battle. But they were lacking that little bit of quality or class that makes a difference against players and teams of that level. In league 1 they are now 13 unbeaten and challenging right at the top of the division. They compete all over the pitch. Players are big strong and quick. They get the ball into the box at every opportunity and give teams hell. Of course they have good players and a good manager but it does demonstrate what is required to be successful in that league.  

16 minutes ago, Ravabeerbelly said:

League 1 is brutal. As a level it has improved and clubs in it have refined their styles and become far more technical to an extent however the overriding requirement to be successful in it is physicality.

Its not so much that to be successful you have to play a more direct game but it’s how you deal with playing against those sides that do.

In possession you can have your own style of course and more and more sides are trying to be a little more attractive but the majority of them still rely of percentages and physicality so in order to play “your style” you still have to compete to win the ball back and so your requirements out of possession change completely.

In the Championship players and teams place a heavy reliance on defending tactically. Shape, pressing triggers, interceptions and game reading. It’s how players like Max Bird survive defensively in those deeper positions. Of course there is a need to be able to head it and tackle but it’s more more likely to be around your box and dealt with by defenders and Gk.

In league 1 it’s everywhere. All areas of the pitch and all players are needed to show a level of proficiency in the more ‘gritty’ side of the game. Opposition gk kick it more regularly, defenders clear it even when they could play out. Midfielders hook it on. The game is about playing for position not possession.

While I don’t doubt the technical abilities of many of our players to play pro football…even championship football, if anyone thinks it’s those talents that will get us promoted or see those players tear up the league they are sadly mistaken. 

Rotherham are a prime example of showing the differences. In the Championship they were found wanting in the technical department. They had good players, were well organised, had a game plan and gave most teams a battle. But they were lacking that little bit of quality or class that makes a difference against players and teams of that level. In league 1 they are now 13 unbeaten and challenging right at the top of the division. They compete all over the pitch. Players are big strong and quick. They get the ball into the box at every opportunity and give teams hell. Of course they have good players and a good manager but it does demonstrate what is required to be successful in that league.  

A few seasons ago Bournemouth romped it playing football.

1 minute ago, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

A few seasons ago Bournemouth romped it playing football.

A wise man once said to me never base an argument on one example….?

Also if you read my post I did say it’s not about how you are in possession it’s having the ability to compete with the less refined teams outs of possession. If Bournemouth had the players to cope with this and play good football at the same time….that’ll be why they romped the league. I certainly never said you can’t play good football in league 1.

Edited by Ravabeerbelly

I have to say now that the EFL really are forcing us into relegation. Whilst I still do not believe it is an entire witch hunt what they are doing is not allowing us to be competitive.

We have had the normal 12 point deduction for administration. Now a further nine point deduction for financial breaches. So a staggering 21 point deduction.

This coupled with them not allowing us to sign players without the embargo restriction has made us almost non competitive.

We have a threadbare squad made up of youth players and seasoned pros.

Do one or the other. Either do not allow us to sign players or deduct the points. Do not do both. This in my opinion makes a joke of the competitiveness of the league.

In my opinion after administration they should be docking us any more points. It clearly shows we are in trouble and that should be the end of it. Their points deductions could put buyers off forcing us into liquidation. I am sure it will not but there is every chance it could.

On 10/11/2021 at 23:10, Jourdan said:

I would like to think once the ownership is settled, the club will start making moves to map out the futures of our current players.

If we can start next season with Bird, Sibley, Williams, Ebosele, Solomon, Cashin, Watson, Hutchinson and Stretton, it would give us something to work with at the very least.

I am also hopeful that as long serving players, the likes of Roos, Davies, Forsyth and Kazim would be keen to extend their stay, be a guiding hand, and help us to bounce back.

Outside of those players, I would expect big changes. Knight, Buchanan, Bielik and Jozwiak will surely all be sold in the coming months. Lawrence, Shinnie, Byrne and Marshall will leave on free transfers. Morrison and the embargo boys will surely go too.

The worry for me is, what does Rooney know about League 1? Does he have any idea what works or a particular aptitude for lower league football? How will his experience of almost exclusively top level, elite football help us going forward?

Personally I would be looking at someone with a proven record in League One and someone who has built a squad in the lower leagues that can reasonably compete when the step up comes along.

We need someone who can do what Mark Robins has done at Coventry, for example.

Getting rid of players on contracts won't be easy, especially if they are on big wages. They will want paying off. 

11 hours ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

Sunderland, Derby, Sheff Wed, Ipswich, Portsmouth. That was basically a bog standard 6- 10 th place in the premier league about 20 years ago.  Probably all in the championship top 6 at the very least. Going to be hard as poo to get out  league 1 methinks.  In the meantime,  Bournemouth top the championship with a 70 million wage bill and 1000 fans for every 10 million on it  hurrah !!.  dead fair this championship football. The championship will look like the average Third division fixture list as it was for 100 years soon, then there'll be no money in it and no attraction to the premier league to have teams promoted and they'll close it off.  Then they can all baalocks. 

Bournemouth cheated their way up with Russian money. How any club with a stadium that barely holds 12k is even in the championship I don't know! They were lucky that they got that promotion otherwise they'd have been looking at some serious problems with the FL.

3 hours ago, Ravabeerbelly said:

Indeed, certain elements of our fanbase are in for a bit of a shock!

On 11/11/2021 at 09:18, LazloW said:

The football will be grim, but it will be different. Different can be good. Different can be exciting…. Clutching at straws can be good too.

Even that's no longer the case.  Nowadays, they just turn to a soggy mulch! 

You 'avin' that eh, @David?

?