League 1 now...

MackworthRamIsGod

17 minutes ago, StarterForTen said:

League One doesn't operate FFP like the Championship does. Instead of Profit and Sustainability (P&S) rules clubs operate under the Salary Cost Management Protocol (SCMP) which restricts salaries to 60% of the turnover. Given that Derby would have one of the largest turnovers in the division (probably the largest if Sunderland go up) and that all of our high earners will have gone (most already have), I think it gives the management team some scope to build a very competitive squad around the talented young players on our books.

Of course some of our best players will be sold (or released), but I don't think it will be the clear out some might imagine.

And, as I have said before, League One is just the same old circus but with new towns in which to pitch the big top. After all, the mere act of going to the football each week is far more important than the football you are going to! Otherwise we'd all be Man City fans.

Agree,otherwise no non league football. True fans will watch whatever league they are in.

I’ve watched quite a bit of L1 football this season (MK Dons) and the standard is better than I thought. Ok they’re having a good season and attendances could be higher but if we rebuild properly it’ll be better than fighting relegation in the championship. A new start with a realistic chance of challenging for the top 6 it could be a more enjoyable season than some fear 

3 hours ago, WamRam said:

The Derby County fantasy of playing in League 1 just so you can get to go to "proper football grounds" is very strange. Honestly blows my mind that anyone could think of anything positive to playing League 1 football.

Why aren't we angry that this has happened to our club?

We've slated past players for being "spineless". Our fans seem just the same, we've just rolled over and let the people who have done this walk out the front door with a goody bag.

Anger, most certainly in this context, is a backward looking, negative emotion. There is nothing we can do about what has happened, it's done, look forward.

Anyway, change is good, freshens things up, a complete reset is required whether we like it or not. This gives the opportunity, backwards to go forwards and all that jazz.....

Interesting that in league 1 the salary limit is 60% of turnover. That's how the championship should be run, and without any parachute payments. If relegated from the premier leaguer then a championship salary kicks in. Tough!

Unfortunately one of the main reasons we are in this mess is/was a totally unsustainable wage bill, which many fans here also fully supported and encouraged at the time. "Get yer chequebook out Mel"   mentality is what has ruined us.

Time to start again under new ownership I suppose.

36 minutes ago, Shuff264 said:

January is going to be very interesting, I think I make it 18 players out of contract by the end of the season. 

Some of them we can let contracts run down, but a lot need to either sign new contracts or be sold while we can.

We need to exit embargo first before we can extend any deals. That shouldn't be an issue when the takeover goes through, as you'd expect the issues to be resolved promptly.

6 minutes ago, ShoreRam said:

Anger, most certainly in this context, is a backward looking, negative emotion. There is nothing we can do about what has happened, it's done, look forward.

Anyway, change is good, freshens things up, a complete reset is required whether we like it or not. This gives the opportunity, backwards to go forwards and all that jazz.....

In all the years watching Derby, I've never seen them as a club that would be capable of going backwards to go forwards. It'll be more like go back to go sideways. Either way hope I'm wrong!

14 minutes ago, Simmo’s left foot said:

Interesting that in league 1 the salary limit is 60% of turnover. That's how the championship should be run, and without any parachute payments. If relegated from the premier leaguer then a championship salary kicks in. Tough!

Unfortunately one of the main reasons we are in this mess is/was a totally unsustainable wage bill, which many fans here also fully supported and encouraged at the time. "Get yer chequebook out Mel"   mentality is what has ruined us.

Time to start again under new ownership I suppose.

What is more interesting is the fact the EFL are trying their hardest to push through a salary cap, conveniently at a time when we have been relegated at their hands.

Funny that.

1 hour ago, Monty said:

A new start with a realistic chance of challenging for the top 6 it could be a more enjoyable season than some fear 

thats the thing,dont we have to agree a business plan with the efl.any plan the efl come up with will be an embargo in all but name,meaning,other than a miricle, we exist but with no realistic chance of being the club we were.

I don't WANT Derby to be relegated, but like many of you I've seen it before and had a great time following the Rams around the country in the mid-80s. I also remember how hard it was to get promoted back into Division 2, despite having by far the most attractive style of play in the Division (OK, that isn't saying much, but it's true I think) and a team that was good enough to go straight up to the top flight the following season, so I'd have no illusions about how hard it would be either.

The most important thing is for a new Owner to be in place by January and all matters with the EFL resolved ASAP afterwards so the club can start the revival ASAP.

10 minutes ago, Crewton said:

I don't WANT Derby to be relegated, but like many of you I've seen it before and had a great time following the Rams around the country in the mid-80s. I also remember how hard it was to get promoted back into Division 2, despite having by far the most attractive style of play in the Division (OK, that isn't saying much, but it's true I think) and a team that was good enough to go straight up to the top flight the following season, so I'd have no illusions about how hard it would be either.

The most important thing is for a new Owner to be in place by January and all matters with the EFL resolved ASAP afterwards so the club can start the revival ASAP.

January can now be about building a team capable of competing in league 1.

We may have fallen into the trap Jewell fell into, chucking vast amounts trying to achieve the unachievable.

Hopefully, quickly, our club starts scouting league 1 and 2 and starts to get players interested in joining us.

Despite having some good academy players, I think it's probably wishful thinking to say that many of them will be good enough for League One. Those that have had a sniff around the first team might be OK e.g. Stretton, Ebosele, Sibley, Williams and Watson. Others will struggle as the vast majority of players do not make it as professionals. Witness the game v Chorley last year to give an idea of the gap. The second half of the season, as and when we are so far adrift that Rooney will admit to us as being nailed on for relegation, will be a good opportunity to see whether some of our younger players can make the step up.  

19 minutes ago, Crewton said:

It only took two seasons last time to get back into the second tier (although we only finished 3rd in our promotion year so, only good enough for the play offs now) and I think most of us would take finishing 7th next year and then promoted the year after. Sadly, it will be far far more difficult this time around.

I mean I'm all for Derby working their way down where there's more football and less pundits, play acting and cynical tactics. 

Although I've seen diving at Sunday morning level. But I'm up for walking the dog to Pride Park on a Sunday to watch Derby kick off at 10am

Byrne's Dad as linesman 

Edited by Alpha

1 hour ago, Monty said:

I’ve watched quite a bit of L1 football this season (MK Dons) and the standard is better than I thought. Ok they’re having a good season and attendances could be higher but if we rebuild properly it’ll be better than fighting relegation in the championship. A new start with a realistic chance of challenging for the top 6 it could be a more enjoyable season than some fear 

The obvious flip side to your optimism is that if the standard is better than you thought, it could be harder than we’d hoped to be challenging for promotion. 

22 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

The obvious flip side to your optimism is that if the standard is better than you thought, it could be harder than we’d hoped to be challenging for promotion. 

Agreed - depends on our rebuild/recruitment being effective and successful 

52 minutes ago, MackworthRamIsGod said:

January can now be about building a team capable of competing in league 1.

We may have fallen into the trap Jewell fell into, chucking vast amounts trying to achieve the unachievable.

Hopefully, quickly, our club starts scouting league 1 and 2 and starts to get players interested in joining us.

Yeah, I'm only saying January so that we're in a position to extend contracts and retain the players we'll need to start the rebuild, not so we can chase the near impossible. Apart from anything, a couple of loans would help take the strain off our creaking squad.

1 hour ago, TINMANTED said:

thats the thing,dont we have to agree a business plan with the efl.any plan the efl come up with will be an embargo in all but name,meaning,other than a miricle, we exist but with no realistic chance of being the club we were.

Yes it will depend on recruitment and other restrictions - Ghost of Clough posted a potential squad/team for next year along with transfers out earlier in the thread which would leave us with some core experience