Rams vs Blackburn Matchday Thread

Bwash_Ram

46 minutes ago, Derbados said:

Only thing that irked me more than anything today was that moron Brereton goading the south stand when he scored. 

We’re a club in administration with a cb pairing with a combined age of 70 odd and having to rely on academy players and free agents. Well done you. 

celebrating like he’d just scored the winner in the World Cup final, bet he felt dead big, the absolute melt. 

He's ex Forest, but first and foremost he's a professional footballer. It's his job to score goals. It shouldn't worry him what our predicament is. If Lawrence had apologised for scoring against Forest when they had zero points (from was it four games?) would you have congratulated him on his sportsmanship?

I thought Blackburn did a job on us today. We tried to play our game, and they were ready for it and all over us.

Second half when they knew we'd change it, they sat off and soaked up whatever we had, right up until the last flurry.

We were second best, deserved to lose, and the limitations of a squad without a fit striker were ruthlessly exposed by a horrible, gruseome side which can play a bit and has a lot of muscle up front.

Meh. Bring on Barnsley.

12 minutes ago, Chris_Martin said:

why didn't Sibley just take the shot first time?

Frankly, it should have been fairly straight forward to control it and then shoot, which is what he tried to do. Unfortunately his execution was poor. He wasn’t the only one today. We consistently didn’t control the ball quickly or look after it when we had it. That’s been notable from a number of players for a number of games now. We’re just not a very technically gifted side. Sometimes we make up for that with effort, but it’s really disappointing that the basic skill level is so poor. Contrast that today with Blackburn, who’s first time control, shielding of the ball, and speed and accuracy of forward pass were streets ahead of ours. 
I’ve been generally pleased with recent performances, but the first half in particular today was awful. The second half was better, but we still look like a side who is focusing on keeping the ball rather than taking risks to get it forward at pace. 

Edited by ck-

I know it's not going to happen, but i would like to see this for the next game, especially if Knight is still out.

Wayne likes to have the full backs push high up, but when playing a back 4 that has left us quite exposed with two OAP's in our defence?. I know he tries to cover that by getting the CDM's to drop back but this then leaves us short in the middle. 

This 3-4-3 system could let Buchanan/Ebosele bomb forward without Shinnie/Bird having to worry as much about dropping back to cover as we would already have an extra man back there. 

Jozwiak/Lawrence/Sibley/Watson/Morrison can all play in the 2 either side of Kazim and would have a little more freedom as they wouldn't be required to defend as much as in the other system. 

We are still struggling massively to score goals but have now started conceding more so maybe worth trying something different.

Any thoughts?

image.png.7aa1d44658d15b0c419e7f52baf6ff17.png

Quest didn't show Derby County's penalty claim on tonights show but did show both of Notts Forest's penalty claims from their game on Friday night against Q.P.R. that didn't look like penalties to me. Sky Sports didn't show it in their highlights either.

Maybe the EFL have had a quiet word with both companies to make sure everyone's singing from the same hymn book.

I will have to wait for RamsTV that is only watched by Derby County fans for a witness.

2 hours ago, Grumpy Git said:

Because (unfortunately), he's not as good as we all want him to be. Done half of buggerall since his HT v Millwall.

He did score a beauty against Brentford that got us a rather valuable point.  One of those I think might move and prove to be decent elsewhere.    Not sure this stick him out wide malarkey and dropping him did him any good.  Ebosele will go the same way.  Played everywhere but goalie on the few occasions he's been fit.  

I didn’t see the game today as I was doing adult things. I’ve seen a lot made of Sibley’s performance, rather lack of, which is tough for me. I watched him come up through the u18s and then u23s and he was like nothing else I’ve seen before. He came into the first team and was more of the same, disappointing to see him regress so much. I’d like him to move on for both our sales, I’m sure in a more stable (better coached) team that he still has a chance to hit his potential. As a Derby fan, I just want these lads to do well. As for Jozwiak, well… he’s ran out of excuses. He’s playing in a rather average division and as Poland’s next big prospect, he should be showing out! 

The wily old fox Mowbray did exactly what he did to us under Cocu. He exposed us as a team trying to play out from the back that quite simply hasn't got the players to do that.

We lucked out that it wasn't another embarrassing scoreline as it was with Cocus team. We need to find a way of adapting quicker when teams do that to us.

It was a decent response 2nd half and that was with 10 men. I don't like calling out individual performances but why do we persist with Baldock? I can't see what he offers. One of the worst players in recent times to pull on a Derby shirt. In mitigation to him there were a few individual performances that could have been called out.

On a  more positive note I thought Max Bird put in a shift 2nd half. He at least tried to get us playing higher up the pitch and not just take the safe option. Outstanding for someone of his age. As Curtis Davies quite rightly said though, we ultimately got what we deserved. 

9 hours ago, Derbados said:

Only thing that irked me more than anything today was that moron Brereton goading the south stand when he scored. 

We’re a club in administration with a cb pairing with a combined age of 70 odd and having to rely on academy players and free agents. Well done you. 

celebrating like he’d just scored the winner in the World Cup final, bet he felt dead big, the absolute melt. 

You mean Bellendo Diaz ? It's not goading, it's South American passion, innit?

9 hours ago, Chris_Martin said:

I know it's not going to happen, but i would like to see this for the next game, especially if Knight is still out.

Wayne likes to have the full backs push high up, but when playing a back 4 that has left us quite exposed with two OAP's in our defence?. I know he tries to cover that by getting the CDM's to drop back but this then leaves us short in the middle. 

This 3-4-3 system could let Buchanan/Ebosele bomb forward without Shinnie/Bird having to worry as much about dropping back to cover as we would already have an extra man back there. 

Jozwiak/Lawrence/Sibley/Watson/Morrison can all play in the 2 either side of Kazim and would have a little more freedom as they wouldn't be required to defend as much as in the other system. 

We are still struggling massively to score goals but have now started conceding more so maybe worth trying something different.

Any thoughts?

image.png.7aa1d44658d15b0c419e7f52baf6ff17.png

I can 100% guarantee you that Wayne won't go with that. It's the worst lineup I've ever seen suggested.

Shinnie's suspended for the next game.

Much as everyone else has said, we were poor in the first half, struggled to create chances all game, bar the last ten minutes and deservedly lost. The lackadaisical attitude made me wonder if the team had been asked to take a pay deferral or similar. Not heard any whispers, but it had that feel to it. 

Notwithstanding the poor display, the half-time booing jarred a bit. Does anyone come to games this season to be entertained or inspired? Don't @ me, I don't want to hear it, just mask your disappointment this season and do what you did in the last ten minutes - see what effect it has on the team? Didn't that feel better than all the ill-tempered chuntering? Maybe we should adopt "Always look on the bright side of life" as Our Tune, just for this season, obv. 

I thought we looked like what we are yesterday and the situation is catching up with us. A team made up of old players feeling it, (albeit Davies was tremendous second half and showed real desire in my view), short term contracts, youngsters who need much more support and players who clearly don’t want to be there or can’t be arsed. Apart from Byrne Shinnie and Davies no one else put any real heart into it first half. 
The situation is going to get worse until the takeover is sorted and the fans have to try and be supportive rather than scare prospective buyers off by making the atmosphere toxic. It’s going to be a tough few months

Edited by minesahartington

6 hours ago, Ambitious said:

I didn’t see the game today as I was doing adult things. I’ve seen a lot made of Sibley’s performance, rather lack of, which is tough for me. I watched him come up through the u18s and then u23s and he was like nothing else I’ve seen before. He came into the first team and was more of the same, disappointing to see him regress so much. I’d like him to move on for both our sales, I’m sure in a more stable (better coached) team that he still has a chance to hit his potential. As a Derby fan, I just want these lads to do well. As for Jozwiak, well… he’s ran out of excuses. He’s playing in a rather average division and as Poland’s next big prospect, he should be showing out! 

There's a Talent there that's for sure, But football is a confidence game, Sibley hasn't been able to cement a position in the team under WR, He gets dropped, Plays out of position, Subbed, Not even in the squad at times, For a young man who wants to make a very good life for himself...all the above must surely have an effect on his game.

Circumstances with our very thin squad for Sibley isn't what it should be, If we were in the top 3 teams, With a squad as good as the top 3 now, Sibley would be used from the bench or gets a game or 2 until our manager thinks NOW is the time to see what he can do.

As for Joxwiak, I think he misses Bielik, Which is not good for us now, Ship him out in January imo.

4 hours ago, Steve How Hard? said:

The wily old fox Mowbray did exactly what he did to us under Cocu. He exposed us as a team trying to play out from the back that quite simply hasn't got the players to do that.

We lucked out that it wasn't another embarrassing scoreline as it was with Cocus team. We need to find a way of adapting quicker when teams do that to us.

It was a decent response 2nd half and that was with 10 men. I don't like calling out individual performances but why do we persist with Baldock? I can't see what he offers. One of the worst players in recent times to pull on a Derby shirt. In mitigation to him there were a few individual performances that could have been called out.

On a  more positive note I thought Max Bird put in a shift 2nd half. He at least tried to get us playing higher up the pitch and not just take the safe option. Outstanding for someone of his age. As Curtis Davies quite rightly said though, we ultimately got what we deserved. 

Yes! And about Bird .. my favourite topic….. . As soon as he stepped up a played 15 yards further forward he started to influence the game. He’s sharp individually on the ball, creative and can pass. He isn’t a natural defensive mid. 

On other matters we tried the wide out ball to Fozzy a few times. It’s worked before but yesterday the balls were often too short or simply poor so they never reached their desired target. Toothless front 3 in first half. Too many touches and too slow from too many players. Sibley needs to be stronger before he will be a regular feature. 

Beaten by a better side. Brereton, thuggish though he is, lead their line with great energy and physical presence. Second half was entertaining but if you lose the first half 4-1 winning the second 3-2 isn’t enough. Onwards to Barnsley I suppose.

10 hours ago, Needlesh said:

I thought Blackburn did a job on us today. We tried to play our game, and they were ready for it and all over us.

Second half when they knew we'd change it, they sat off and soaked up whatever we had, right up until the last flurry.

We were second best, deserved to lose, and the limitations of a squad without a fit striker were ruthlessly exposed by a horrible, gruseome side which can play a bit and has a lot of muscle up front.

Meh. Bring on Barnsley.

That pretty much sums up my opinion.  It was clear after 10 mins, and most certainly 20 mins, that they looked more good than we looked bad!  It's football.  It happens!
The best looking oppo I've seen come here this season so far.  They each stuck to their tasks, individually and teamwork-wise, and never gave us a sniff.
Even for the majority of the second half, when things simply had to change, they defended stoutly (and robustly) in the main.  Last 5/10 mins aside, they were far superior in every department, and may even be (rightly, imo) disappointed that they didn't walk away with a more convincing score line. They absolutely bossed that first half, and could/should have been 4 or 5 up at HT.  We escaped a mauling!  

Still devastated we hit the bar in added time.  I would have literally laughed all the way home, all evening, and still be laughing now, if that had gone in!  No way did we deserve a draw... but it was damn close in the end!  ?  

Indeed... Bring on Barnsley!  ?

Today was not particularly pretty. The first half was as bad as I can remember a Derby team playing tbh; we had absolutely no idea what to do going forward, slow pedestrian play, poor first touches and the shape was comical at times. In all seriousness I couldn't have complained if they'd gone in 4 or 5-0 up given the chances they created. They cut us open completely at will. 

The second half gave us an improvement but I think that happened due to blackburn taking their foot off the gas. Even then beyond the first 10 minutes and final 10 minutes of the second half you could see us struggling to create openings. Barnsley becomes a big game i think, if the team can't get a victory there the alarm bells may start ringing in some of our heads. 

I said weeks ago that it wouldn’t be until the results became a little less positive that the adrenalin effect would wear off and we’d start to see the fatigue that has accumulated in so many players who have been asked to play almost every game.

My opinion is despite the thin squad there could have been several options for a considered rotation policy that could have just eased this a little. Not all at once but drip fed along.

For example, Stearman has been grossly underused. He could easily have stepped in to replace / rest Jagielka or Davies and he could also have been used as a third CB to allow cover / rest for the full backs. The same reasoning could be used for drip feeding several other younger players in at various times to rest or rotate Lawrence / Morrison neither of whom are irreplaceable. Byrne and Festy could be the same. 

I know the squads small and we’d have needed to ride out luck a little but if we’d been clever the massively over used players could have taken breaks with very little effect on immediate performance.

The next few weeks could see an increase in poor performance and injuries.

14 hours ago, Bris Vegas said:

Tom Lawrence must be dynamite in training when there is no pressure, far less intensity and attacking drills where he can display his qualities such as snap shooting. He’s probably our best player in training.

As I can’t see any other reason as to why he is not only our captain, but getting regular game time.

Constantly picks the wrong option under pressure, physically weak and very tunnel-visioned.

The funny thing here is that I thought Tom had an ok game. Not saying he was great but he kept trying, yes he got steam rollered a few times, made the wrong choice a few times, but he tried to break lines, got stuck in. There was a lovely change of feet turn and shoot moment on the edge of the box that was a delight .. off target but on another day it’s that sort of thing that wins games.