Rams vs Blackburn Matchday Thread

Bwash_Ram

I thought they were good for their win their first half lead, some neat football, and two good goals.  Can’t blame Roos for either IMHO.  But again the distribution was far to slow and poor.

We looked toothless, but there was no outlet up front, Jozwiak was completely clueless and didn’t seem to know what he was doing at all.  It is the only part of the initial team selection Rooney got wrong, the other parts he was forced into I think.  A fully fit CKR would have given us a different result.

The second half and substitutions changed the game, not completely but gradually.  Blackburn knew it and stared making silly fouls and going down and staying down to waste time.  This must have been on the instructions of Mowbray.

On to the 6 pointer at Barnsley…

13 hours ago, Chris_Martin said:

I know it's not going to happen, but i would like to see this for the next game, especially if Knight is still out.

Wayne likes to have the full backs push high up, but when playing a back 4 that has left us quite exposed with two OAP's in our defence?. I know he tries to cover that by getting the CDM's to drop back but this then leaves us short in the middle. 

This 3-4-3 system could let Buchanan/Ebosele bomb forward without Shinnie/Bird having to worry as much about dropping back to cover as we would already have an extra man back there. 

Jozwiak/Lawrence/Sibley/Watson/Morrison can all play in the 2 either side of Kazim and would have a little more freedom as they wouldn't be required to defend as much as in the other system. 

We are still struggling massively to score goals but have now started conceding more so maybe worth trying something different.

Any thoughts?

image.png.7aa1d44658d15b0c419e7f52baf6ff17.png

We tried that a while ago and it didn't work. The wing backs kept being pushed back and CKR was a mile away from anyone up top. Any ball over the top with that back line against a pacey striker as well would be a problem.

Edited by DCFC Kicks

1 hour ago, Tyler Durden said:

Just seen the match highlights again, I know I may not be Roos' biggest fan but can't see really how he could be put at fault for either Blackburn goal tbf skim reading some of the comments made previously in this thread. 

Well for the first one I'd say it would have helped him to stop the ball before it crossed the line, really helps for a keeper to do that.

And he was super lucky not to have been punished for his pass out. Not his best day at the office.

And while it might not have been all his decision, that play out from the back thing that they kept trying with Davies, that always ended up with hoof up to expect Sibley to win the aerial challenge, just didn't work, not on each of the times they tried. Learn, change, improve!

Edited by BaaLocks

7 minutes ago, BaaLocks said:

Well for the first one I'd say it would have helped him to stop the ball before it crossed the line, really helps for a keeper to do that.

And he was super lucky not to have been punished for his pass out. Not his best day at the office.

And while it might not have been all his decision, that play out from the back thing that they kept trying with Davies, that always ended up with hoof up to expect Sibley to win the aerial challenge, just didn't work, not on each of the times they tried. Learn, change, improve!

So, after moving sharply to his right to make a great save, and his momentum taking him behind the goal line, you expect him to move in front of the line in the split second it took Brereton to react? He's not the best keeper in the division, but not every goal is his fault.

13 hours ago, Chris_Martin said:

I know it's not going to happen, but i would like to see this for the next game, especially if Knight is still out.

Wayne likes to have the full backs push high up, but when playing a back 4 that has left us quite exposed with two OAP's in our defence?. I know he tries to cover that by getting the CDM's to drop back but this then leaves us short in the middle. 

This 3-4-3 system could let Buchanan/Ebosele bomb forward without Shinnie/Bird having to worry as much about dropping back to cover as we would already have an extra man back there. 

Jozwiak/Lawrence/Sibley/Watson/Morrison can all play in the 2 either side of Kazim and would have a little more freedom as they wouldn't be required to defend as much as in the other system. 

We are still struggling massively to score goals but have now started conceding more so maybe worth trying something different.

Any thoughts?

image.png.7aa1d44658d15b0c419e7f52baf6ff17.png

Don’t like the look of the defence, Id stick with a flat back for and wouldn’t swap Roos out.

However I like the idea of playing one or as you suggest two players off Kaz, Lawrence and/or Sibley would be the best options there.

I’d also have a midfield three of Shinnie, Bird, Knight when all three are available.

Although played very poorly (esp. first half) we were actually quite unlucky not to get a point. Might not have been deserved but who cares? The issue is why it took until 85 minutes to wake up.
After a terrible first half, you correctly bring two forwards on, but then proceed to stick mostly with the slow and steady build up (which usually ended with a hopeful punt to Forsyth).  Didn’t understand the lack of urgency at all. 
Oh well. It was going to happen eventually. 
FWIW, I also fail to see what Lawrence brings to the side (although he wasn’t alone yesterday TBF) and not sure how he stays on week after week. I know beggars can’t be choosers, but I think we’re better when he isn’t playing (and making the wrong decision 8times out of 10). Frustrates the bejesus out of me.

Edited by LazloW

Re..Roos criticism listening to one of the most highly regarded keeper coaches in Eric Steele on Radio Derby he thought the first goal he did well to stop the initial effort then was unlucky it crossed the line 

The second he thought he could have done better in that he did not need to advance so much, and should have been standing still when the shot came, because when moving it is more difficult to make the save. 

Edited by Rambalin

17 hours ago, Inverurie Ram said:

Quest didn't show Derby County's penalty claim on tonights show but did show both of Notts Forest's penalty claims from their game on Friday night against Q.P.R. that didn't look like penalties to me. Sky Sports didn't show it in their highlights either.

Maybe the EFL have had a quiet word with both companies to make sure everyone's singing from the same hymn book.

I will have to wait for RamsTV that is only watched by Derby County fans for a witness.

I watched the RamsTV Big Debate and we didn't show the penalty claim or speak about it either!......has the world gone mad again!

The footballleagueworld clickbait site had a 'sensational' performance headline for Bird yesterday...

Backed up by the following stunning detail..

In total, Bird was able to make three interceptions and two tackles, as well as also making two key passes, completing one successful dribble and also providing two accurate crosses. That showed he was everywhere for the Rams and he is fast becoming a talisman in the midfield.

Edited by Yani P

6 hours ago, Ramarena said:

Don’t like the look of the defence, Id stick with a flat back for and wouldn’t swap Roos out.

However I like the idea of playing one or as you suggest two players off Kaz, Lawrence and/or Sibley would be the best options there.

I’d also have a midfield three of Shinnie, Bird, Knight when all three are available.

We don't play a flat back four though. The full backs are pushed really high up, it's more like a flat back 2. That's why I was thinking playing 3 at the back might be better as we would still be able to push the full backs on, but would have an extra player at the back so we're not as vulnerable. 

7 hours ago, richinspain said:

So, after moving sharply to his right to make a great save, and his momentum taking him behind the goal line, you expect him to move in front of the line in the split second it took Brereton to react? He's not the best keeper in the division, but not every goal is his fault.

A keeper needs to know where his line is, it's the cardinal rule of the profession. He got to the ball, just behind the line which, obviously, didn't really help him in his overall aim of preventing the ball crossing the line. So the point is not whether or not he was agile to get back across to get the ball - which he was - it was for him to be aware of where his line was - which he wasn't.

2 hours ago, Yani P said:

The footballleagueworld clickbait site had a 'sensational' performance headline for Bird yesterday...

Backed up by the following stunning detail..

In total, Bird was able to make three interceptions and two tackles, as well as also making two key passes, completing one successful dribble and also providing two accurate crosses. That showed he was everywhere for the Rams and he is fast becoming a talisman in the midfield.

Pretty much anonymous first half, came out second half obviously on the back of a dressing room rollocking and pulled off an amazing bit of skill in the first minutes of the second half. It was leadership, signalling to all that they weren't going to be so weak after the break. In that single move I was convinced that Bird can be something special, though in the first half I was equally convinced he was unable to take control of a game like a player in his position would be expected to.

4 hours ago, Inverurie Ram said:

I watched the RamsTV Big Debate and we didn't show the penalty claim or speak about it either!......has the world gone mad again!

Rams TV never show anything controversial. I don't think they have ever shown a blatant penalty shout which wasn't given, and they have plenty of examples they could have shown. The same is true of Channel 4 and Sky. You would think we have never had a poor decision go against us. Ever.

1 hour ago, BaaLocks said:

A keeper needs to know where his line is, it's the cardinal rule of the profession. He got to the ball, just behind the line which, obviously, didn't really help him in his overall aim of preventing the ball crossing the line. So the point is not whether or not he was agile to get back across to get the ball - which he was - it was for him to be aware of where his line was - which he wasn't.

A keeper also has to make his dive to a position where he can stop the ball. If that dive, after stopping the ball then takes him over his line shouldn't be on his mind. His first thought will be to reach the ball. Diving parallel to his line might have meant that he wouldn't have even stopped the first shot.