v Peterborough (A) Match Day Thread

ollycutts1982

30 minutes ago, GenBr said:

Terrible performance, but really happy Stretton got his goal. Personally thought Peterborough were pretty crap as well, but think they will still finish above us. Can't wait until we play some of the actual good teams in this league.

For me I think this squad of players has enough to stay up, but not with Wayne Rooney in charge. Tactics, teams set up, subs, etc abysmal yet again.

If it makes you feel any better he is 39 in 3 days time.

Will we? Why would that be. We weren't allowed to bring anyone in to replace Knight or Bielik were we?

Was confirmed on Sky, EFL said if the injury was bad a replacement could be bought in.

3 minutes ago, Van der MoodHoover said:

Nixons record is 50:50 at best. 

We also have been told that we have been in discussions with the EFL on some aspects of our revised submission and that we hold different views. 

So it sounds more like six of one, half a dozen of the other and we actually have NO knowledge of who is digging their heels in, over what! 

Hopefully we will know a bit more after Wednesday passes 

So similar to last season. Our ability to throw games away is just mindblowingly incredible. 

Game management is poor, defensively we switch off, don't win headers, don't track runs, mess about with the ball, Roos unbelievably casual with the ball. A game we needed to win. Lawrence is Captain?? Talk me through that....how is he leading that team? 

Worries me that Rooney will hang around, lose a few games, then throw the towel in having brought in a few players on loan other people wouldn't fancy. 

This is pretty much a first from me after all these years on the site. Its a very rare venture into commenting on the matchday thread. 

I dont usually comment because im too emotionally involved in the outcome and get far too knee jerk in my post match reactions with either a win or a loss. 

Huge hug to all my fellow Rams fans right now. A pandemic to deal with, total lock down for most so the excitement of finally getting out and about and for some even going to a stadium to watch a game. 

And what do we get? Dross.. utter dross. Today was a bit of a final straw for me and I feel a need to comment. 

Its actually truly shambolic. Us older ones have seen sustainable shambolic performances before so we know it when we see it. 

For example... the goal kicks that now Curtis takes sideways to Roos. A cunning plan of extraordinary measures.. or just admitting our goal keeper is a better kicker than our defenders.

Why.... WHY have we got 4 holding midfielders?!!! Ravel, Billy Backwards, Graham ” The Trap ” Shinnie and Capt Tom all played there today. Its feckin retarded. I dont even understand where this particular ” plan” comes from. You would assume that Rooney remembers how they set up at United in his playing career. Cant remember Scholes, Butt, Beckham and Cantona all playing holding mid...at the same time...in the same game. You would also assume Rooney and side kick watch other games both live and on telly. I cant recall one team in the history of modern football playing 4 holding mids! This plan we have must be genius huh?

Lawrence being made captain!! Again... I assume they reckon giving him leadership responsibility will up his game.

Tell you what a leader does. When we get a penalty in a pre season friendly, the leader figures out its a good idea to give the chance to score to young Stretton. Try to up the lads confidence and get his goal scoring for first team up and running. But no... our leader decides its a good time to show off and take a fancy peno. 

I could go on for hours. Its just too painful in relative terms. They are even laughing at us! 

Again.huge hug to you all. Try to enjoy the rest of the weekend. 

Us older ones also remember a team being put together of players you didnt know or had hardly ever heard of in the late 60s who went on to conquer the land. We can dream. 

Edited by StockholmRam
Mis spell

51 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

He has been targeted for his lack of height by all three teams. But he's also looked 'off it'. Today took us back to the end of last season where his quality had gone missing. Perhaps he doesn't deal well with pressure.

Midfield is still wrong and I don't care what anyone says. Bird and Shinnie do not work.

Agree totally on the shinnie bird point 

they’re just simply not good enough together 

they are about as average as it comes and would fair no better in league one 

One we should have won, I hope it doesn’t come back to bite us. I’m not going to have a go at our lads I think they are playing better a than I hoped for. I think we are almost there, apart from someone to put the ball in the net and pace at the back, unfortunately they are two fundamental issues when you are trying to win a football match.

we really need to get behind them and be positive , no booing just positive as we can make a difference 

Well, a pretty wretched way to finish what could have been a decent week...on the field. Life is difficult enough at the minute without this self-inflicted nonsense.

For 85 mins though it was actually OK. They'd barely threatened us all match & whilst our attacking effort was very blunt first half, we picked up once Sibley got on the park. Great finish from Stretton too for his first league goal. On subject of first half, I can't fathom why we're persisting with this habit of split DMs & Lawrence/Morrison picking the ball deep...all it led to was us playing very deep as a team, Kazim getting totally isolated & a traffic jam of Derby players on the wing doing little. Second half Shinnie stepped up a few yards as did Morrison & we started to threaten them a lot more.

Injury time was as pathetic a collapse as I've seen from us & totally preventable. I like the lad but that was Nathan Byrne's worst game in a Derby shirt by a mile...losing men, not stopping crosses & falling over constantly at crucial moments. That said, Jozwiak & Forsyth both also culpable for their equaliser...switching off is unforgivable at such a late stage in a match.

Onto Hull. Need to pick ourselves up, stop feeling sorry for ourselves & build that siege mentality we'll need to eke out results. And keep it simple please...play DMs where they should be & full backs where they should be.

Starting a game trying not to lose, (even trying not to lose by too many) against a team that has shipped 7 goals in 2 games is a guarantee of a bad outcome. We were way, way, way too cautious, with no-one capable of a defence-splitter, and no-one able to stretch the Peterborough back-line. So 0-0 at half time was a good achievement. What that first half needed was a Sibley. And then CKR is badly injured - Rooney was almost in tears at that point.

But something good has come from it - Stretton played really well. I know there have been plenty on here criticising the kid, but if we didn't expect him to play the big, bruising centre-forward role, maybe we wouldn't be disappointed. What Stretton did do was play like a natural striker. Every time the ball was crossed into the box he was right there close to here the ball was heading. And when the ball dropped near him he scored a true striker's goal. Keep him playing like this and he will score loads. Try to turn him into CKR won't work.

Re the collapse - there are shed-loads of people on here sticking the knife into Sibley at every opportunity, but it is clear that we are nothing without him. I was shouting for a foul on him, not the other way round. He thought it was a clear foul, hence handling the ball. Perhaps he isn't aware that we only get crap refs, because during that part of the match, every time we got the ball in midfield we were getting brought down. He is therefore blamed for the goal which came from the free-kick, but in reality once the kick is taken, the team has to defend properly and they failed abysmally, especially Joswaick. Yet again, loads of people are critical of the Pole, yet it is somehow politically incorrect to criticise him. I don't now why - he still still making the same errors he got flack for last season. Can he not learn?

I am surprised that no-one has mentioned "Fergie Time"! Actually I for one am not too bothered by it, because most of that came from CKR's injury. The biggest worry is that we seemed to be out on our feet at the end - how can we be tired out this early in the season? I reckon that we had lost the game in our heads the moment the equaliser went in.

Where too from now? I have no idea. Any suggestions?

I resisted posting at full time as I would’ve said sack the lot of them, they’re all poo gutless senior players are bottlers we’re going to lose every game etc etc. I pretty much said the same on the phone in a rant to my folks. 

Now I’ve calmed down, some more thoughtful reflections.

Not saying we deserved the win but Peterborough didn’t really trouble us for 90 mins, there wasn’t much in the game and before we scored we had two or three really good opportunities on the counter. I’m not sure why 11 mins was given at the end, 6 or 7 mins maybe. The two goals were criminal, Jozwiak switched off and lost his man and only Byrne knows what he was trying to do for the second - sums up his start to the season which has been really poor by his standards. Rooney can’t do anything about either goal, individual errors from senior players. They don’t happen we’re talking a completely different result and looking at a reasonable start to the season.

Brilliant goal by Stretton, he will get better and better. So pleased Marriott (who looked a right fat bar steward today) has gone and Stretton now has a chance. He could be a big player this season. Absolute body blow losing Kazim to what looks like a bad one.

Sibley made a huge difference when he came on. Unlucky not to start but still managed to pick up another yellow card ?. He’s played barely an hour across two games and got 2 yellows, got to get that out of his game. Playing Bird and Shinnie is not the way forward, one or the other with someone more progressive (either Watson or Morrison, Knight when he’s back). Morrison is now the most important player in this team while Bielik is out. Vital. 

Need more from Tom Lawrence. Tried to get involved too deep in the play to help, at times late on he played some suicidal passes that nearly cost us (he wasn’t the only one though).

Injuries really starting to bite now and that’s a problem. Hopefully the EFL may allow us to get someone in if Kazim is out for a long time as Sky seemed to suggest they could post-match.

Ive seen enough three games into the season to suggest we have enough to survive but it will be tough. If Byrne and Joz dont make those errors, we come away with 1-0. Good Players to come back from injury during the season, the youngsters will get better, Ravel will get better. 

As for is Rooney the man. He’s what we’ve got. I’ve seen a difference in how we’re trying to play and I’m willing to get behind it. I’m pleased we’re making individual errors now, if we’re still doing it and losing games 10 or 15 games from now I’d be more critical. 

Completely understand the reaction of those fans dragging up our record from last season and using that to say we need to make a change now. I’m still angry at how we lost but I’ve seen enough positives to suggest we can compete. Only way it’s going to get easier is if Mel and the club sort their poo out! That remains the number 1 problem.

28 minutes ago, NottsRam77 said:

Agree totally on the shinnie bird point 

they’re just simply not good enough together 

they are about as average as it comes and would fair no better in league one 

Rubbish! Complete Rubbish. Both decent players in this league. The reason the combination doesn’t work is because they are doing the same job at the moment. The balance is wrong. Bird and Morrison or Shinnie and Morrison could be quite effective.

2 hours ago, Mostyn6 said:

Not read the thread, but Rooney shouldn’t have taken Ravel off. He was marshalling the game brilliant, which was keeping Lawrence disciplined. He wasn’t tiring. 

Absolutely - and I don't think Ravel thought he should have been taken off - but Wayne has said "I know how to manage Ravel Morrison".

Edited by Half Fan Half Biscuit

5 minutes ago, BramcoteRam84 said:

Rubbish! Complete Rubbish. Both decent players in this league. The reason the combination doesn’t work is because they are doing the same job at the moment. The balance is wrong. Bird and Morrison or Shinnie and Morrison could be quite effective.

It’s not rubbish mate 

you’ve literally just proven my point by saying add another player ie Morrison 

Thanks 

So u agree the balance is wrong .. they don’t work together and as a pairing are poor 

so my point stands and u have vindicated it 

Edited by NottsRam77