v Peterborough (A) Match Day Thread

ollycutts1982

40 minutes ago, EtoileSportiveDeDerby said:

First half, complete dross. Second half it got better and over the 90 minutes we were the better side of 2 poor teams. we are set up not to lose, we got defenders who could feature on the antiques road show, put the 2 together and it is even more frustrating to loose it like that. Our only hope is Bielik is back soon

Defenders who should be on the antiques road show. Who's fault is that? 

We lost some composure when Morrison went off. There was a lovely bit of keep ball along the touchline when we were one up after which Morrison was taken off. Obviously Rooney wanted to “save” him (don’t know what difference 15 mins makes) and thought the lads had enough to easily see it out or that Peterborough were done. Wrong on both counts unfortunately. 
Anyway, Hull, here we come!

2 hours ago, CWC1983 said:

Looking at Rooney's demeanour at the sky post match interview, I wouldn't be surprised that if there are 2 defeats v Hull and Boro that he walks. 

He is clearly frustrated with everything going on, and in his eyes his standing as a coach or manager is diminishing with every game. 

I would have thought his standing was not lowered by the win against Salford ... the opposite in fact.

Crowd great could not have done more and thought we were on our way to a precious away win.  We felt absolutely gutted at the final whistle, really hard to take today.  Telling who came to clap the fans and how much effort put into that. Curtis and Sibley looked totally down. Did Rooney clap the fans (i didnt notice but may have been watching others more closely)? 

4 minutes ago, HorsforthRam said:

We lost some composure when Morrison went off. There was a lovely bit of keep ball along the touchline when we were one up after which Morrison was taken off. Obviously Rooney wanted to “save” him (don’t know what difference 15 mins makes) and thought the lads had enough to easily see it out or that Peterborough were done. Wrong on both counts unfortunately. 
Anyway, Hull, here we come!

Yes, hope he's learnt something from that. But what good it will do if we can't bring other players in I don't know.

For me, today was a story of three substitutions - one enforced, one good, one bad.

The first one was significant because although Kazim-Richards wasn't having his most successful game, he would have been an important pivot for a late assault on the Peterborough goal from our young substitutes. As it was, it left us one tactical substitute short.

Stretton did well when he came on early and I am so delighted that he has got his first senior goal. We needed other players to play to his strengths, though, which they didn't always do.

Sibley's introduction once Stretton was on, was a must, as he does play well with Stretton and his forceful play driving forward, changed the game in our favour. Good substitution.

Having got the lead and knowing we would have to see out a considerable amount of injury time then the third substitution was a poor one. I thought Morrison had been running the game, so to replace him with Jozwiak left our midfield exposed and invited the counter attack. Maybe Brown in defensive midfield would have been better? 

I thought at the game the foul against Sibley should have gone in his favour and the Peterborough player clearly kicked him when he was on the floor, but I haven't seen a replay having only just got home so I could be completely wrong there. Regardless of that, the way we defended it was amateurish. This isn't the kids letting us down, it is the established players.

Then to do it all again a few minutes later turned a good afternoon completely on it's head. How deflating for the supporters who were magnificent all afternoon (idiots notwithstanding.)

Just a couple of other observations, Ebosele for me is an excellent fullback/wingback so play him there. If Byrne's shaky start to the season continues that will happen sooner rather than later.

Lawrence needs to step up. I like his workrate but I don't think he is affecting the game enough. Others have observed it is because he has to keep dropping deep to fetch the ball. But even allowing for that,  he is not driving play as Sibley, or even Watson, does. 

Another frustrating afternoon because I felt that game was there for the taking. We need to be braver, managerially, individually and collectively.

43 minutes ago, Old Spalding Ram said:

I played football at a decent level so can someone try to explain to me this Davies taking goal kicks sideways to Roos in front of goal mullarky?

It’s trendy 

3 hours ago, StockholmRam said:

Why.... WHY have we got 4 holding midfielders?!!! Ravel, Billy Backwards, Graham ” The Trap ” Shinnie and Capt Tom all played there today. Its feckin retarded. I dont even understand where this particular ” plan” comes from. You would assume that Rooney remembers how they set up at United in his playing career. Cant remember Scholes, Butt, Beckham and Cantona all playing holding mid...at the same time...in the same game. You would also assume Rooney and side kick watch other games both live and on telly. I cant recall one team in the history of modern football playing 4 holding mids! This plan we have must be genius huh

He wanted to play 3 defensive mids when asked which england team he would select. Guess thats part of his "unique style"

1 hour ago, CBRammette said:

Crowd great could not have done more and thought we were on our way to a precious away win.  We felt absolutely gutted at the final whistle, really hard to take today.  Telling who came to clap the fans and how much effort put into that. Curtis and Sibley looked totally down. Did Rooney clap the fans (i didnt notice but may have been watching others more closely)? 

Curtis didn't look happy at half time either (was watching on tv myself). Man should be the captain

2 hours ago, BramcoteRam84 said:

thought we looked solid for the most part and midfield wasn’t problem defensively and wasn’t why we lost the game, drop Morrison back like the other day we get hold of the game and have a better link between midfield and forwards.

There's not enough bite or strength in the duo of Bird and Morrison to be capable defensively. I actually thought today we did have an issue second half as the game got stretched with second balls in the middle of the pitch and towards our own goal in the middle of the park. Certainly the case when dembele came on and we looked completely unable to deal with him.

That wasn't why we lost the game no but it was an issue. I don't think we controlled the game like people claim we  -did. The first half was a tale of two god awful teams who both lacked quality and confidence but peterborough looked the more dangerous when they could dig out some passes that connected with their own players.  The second half was end to end and we broke the deadlock through a set piece. But we never really looked fully comfortable once Peterborough got on the front foot and this multiplied by 10 once they got their goal. 

Edited by Leeds Ram

1 hour ago, B4ev6is said:

Give roony a break he is doing best he can with very very very limited means and efl not making easy for roony eathier not letting us use any of under 23s.

That doesn't excuse his "try not to lose" approach to football. He does it most matches, then makes changes which do liven us up. And despite finding out how to play front foot football, he goes back to safety first again. It finished the Bald Eagle's time at Derby after Steve MaClaren left for Manure. He went safety first, and took us from one of the most exciting teams in the Premiership to no-hopers in a very short space of time.

Surely, against a team shipping goals for fun (?) the thing to do is go all out against them? We missed a huge trick there, today.