v Peterborough (A) Match Day Thread

ollycutts1982

we're done aren't we. Might as well start singing 'we're going down' and embrace it. First half was pretty dire from both teams, we had all the tempo of a walking football team and the penetration of a 1,000 year old rusted sword. Partly due to the strange decision to ensure our most creative players pick the ball up in the defensive third and focus all our attacking energy on the right hand side thereby leaving CKR isolated. It's not going to work, it looked sh** in pre-season and it looks sh** now. Defensively, we looked rocky the few times peterborough mustered the quality to string a few passes together but fortunately they were few and far between. 

Second half it opened up and we abandoned our very odd horseshoe tactic. There was some tempo and as Sibley got on the ball we looked more likely to make something happen. The middle of the park was there for us to run into ensuring a solid counter but very rarely did we actually do much in terms of chance creation. Another goal from a set piece but from open play just like last season we really struggle to actually create real chances. 

The lack of a backbone for the last 20 minutes was absolutely appalling and downright shameful. I thought at the very least they'd have acquired one given the events off the pitch but apparently not. First goal was the result of about 3 different errors; Stearman screwing the header, Kamil not tracking and Byrne on his heels not following the man in. Then it was all Peterborough as we were completely panicked and were unable to cope. Second goal again the result of at least 2 blunders from Davies and Bird getting in each other's way and then Byrne making an absolute hash of it. But Peterborough deserved the win overall, they offered more going forward and although they are very shaky at the back they did one thing we didn't... they never gave up. 

I wish the prediction league table was still a thing as unfortunately got both the first two results correct. 

12 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

I like Byrne but he had a poor game today. However, you can’t deny that was a poor error by Byrne in a critical area of the pitch. An error that had nothing to do with tactics, game plan, knowing your role or set up. No defender in the world would try to claim they didn’t know what they should do in that situation. He knew exactly what he had to but messed it up. 

Mate,he made an error but my contention is that our tactics,coaching and gameplay inevitably leads to pressure on the players who will eventually start making silly mistakes.

6 minutes ago, KBB said:

I'm hanging my entire hope on a take over, new manager with ambition and a few players.

Imagine if we got took over and they put someone like wilder in charge. Even alex neil and a few signings would lift this club.

We are the media whipping boys. Ex players and managers laughing at us on sky, bbc, talk sport, twitter.

Desperate stuff.

I couldn’t really care less about the media. It’s becoming the whipping boys for the other teams that worries me.

Edited by Tamworthram

1 minute ago, Gritstone Ram said:

I thought our first touch and control let us down throughout the game. I can accept the odd misplaced pass but winning the ball to only let the opposition take it back off you should be punishable automatically dropped from the starting line up. I can accept we give away free kicks in the middle of the park but to not defend the free kick.

I was always told safety first when defending but in the depths of time added on to kick the ball straight to a forward on the penalty spot you should be shot at dawn.

I better not go one or I shoot half the squad.

I thought we were sluggish and half asleep at times during most of the game. There were also times when two players got in each others way. There wasn't much bravery to be seen either. Plus lots of times not much footballing intelligence.

2 minutes ago, jono said:

But for the errors that could have been a reasonably comfortable 0-1 away win

No No No. We were pretty bad and Roos did his best to gift them a goal or two. We were dead lucky to be 1 up, but Derby cannot hold a lead. On a brighter note Man U thrashed Leeds.

Roos - took some chances which he didn’t need to

Byrne - two shocking bits of defending cost us dearly, wrong side by miles for the first and went with the wrong foot and then didn’t clear it when given a second chance.

Stearman - decent enough 

Davies - decent enough 

forsyth - ok but got beat in the air for the first time in phase 1 of the first goal 

Bird - some good interceptions 

shinnie - some good interceptions 

Morrison - did ok and I wish he hadn’t been subbed off 

Lawrence - not involved meaningfully 

Ebosele - gave us a spark in the first half 

Richards - not involved and not likely to be again for a while 

subs - Sibley he gives us energy and effort and a threat 

Stretton - nice goal and we are going to need a lot more 

Jozwiak - absolutely switched off for the first goal against got to do better than that

4 minutes ago, NottsRam77 said:

I love ur positivity mate I really do .. and ur right there were positives but when u concede 2 stupidly soft goals like that in injury time from amateurish mistakes on the back of what .. 1 win in 17 games .. hard to really look past that 

Positivity is all we have to try and get through this Rooney won't be leaving unless he walks , embargo won't be lifted and no takeover not really sure what else we can do but look for positives in what I agree is a rather poo time.

Just now, Rammed79 said:

Positivity is all we have to try and get through this Rooney won't be leaving unless he walks , embargo won't be lifted and no takeover not really sure what else we can do but look for positives in what I agree is a rather poo time.

Only positive left today is that we don't have to watch that meltdown unfold at 16:49 this avvy.

17 minutes ago, MACKWORTHRAM said:

Mel Morris has to do something this week to try and save this football club.

It's on its knees.

If he can sit back and accept this then I don't believe it.

Probably looks unlikely that CKR will play again this season.

So now Stretton is our only striker.

He wanted the academy players to play more for the first team, and now it's happening. This is what Mel wanted remember, despite the fact it will probably get us relegated to League one.

We threw away a lead with some chaotic defending, this as rightly got many fans apoplectic with rage, myself included, and blaming various players for the manner of our defeat. If we had hung on for the win fans would have be rooster-a-hoop. But win or lose, the feeling from the result  and the subsequent reactions of the fans, would have masked the fact we were poor for most of the match. This is against a team similar to Huddersfield, teams who along with ourselves will be battling to avoid relegation.