Louie Sibley

3 hours ago, Dimmu said:

Agreed, with one exception. I think Festy has the highest ceiling due his physical attributes.

I hate the idea we'll sell him just because our manager doesn't see his potential or even worse, don't know how to use it. 

What makes you think that, other than your dislike of rooney?

On 14/08/2021 at 15:45, RoyMac5 said:

What makes you think that, other than your dislike of rooney?

I suspect @Dimmulike a lot of us believe Sibley should be played centrally,  yet rarely if ever gets given the opportunity,  not saying he can't play in one of the wider positions, just that with his movement, control and willingness to make the runs around the CF he is better deployed centrally. 

Personally I think Lawrence is better on the left also, so it should be a no brainer, but WR32 doesn't see it that way.

Edited by Rich84
Spelling

9 hours ago, Rich84 said:

I suspect @Dimmulike a lot of us believe Sibley should be played centrally,  yet rarely if ever gets given the opportunity,  not saying he can't play in one of the wider positions, just that with his movement, control and willingness to make the runs around the CF he is better deployed centrally. 

Personally I think Lawrence is better on the left also, so it should be a no brainer, but WR32 doesn't see it that way.

Isn't it the case that young players often start their careers in a different role than the one they are aiming for? 

That's true,  but personally, I think Sibley is currently the  best option to play the central role behind the striker, he is most effective there, certainly not liking Lawrence central with coming to collect of the toes of the CH's, not sure how that gets him involved where he can hurt the opposition, as I've said before, I think he's better coming in from the left where he can drive to the centre, win free kicks or shoot. If WR wants someone on the ball deep that can actually pass and create, then on the bits we've seen, play Morrison there from the start alongside either Bird or Shinnie.

We need Lawrence and Sibley as a minimum to be supporting the lone striker, hopefully with Buchanan and Byrne/Festy supporting with width. 

Writing this I'm starting to think the Terry Venables Christmas tree formation might be the compromise. Morrison in middle of Shinnie and Bird (or Watson replacing either) and Lawrence and Sibley in from but narrower so leaving space for attacking fullbacks 

Edited by Rich84
Spelling

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
4 hours ago, oomarkwright said:

Can see him going to Millwall. He knows Rowett and performed well against them. Is wasted and not wanted here. 1.5 rising to 2m maybe? Will shine somewhere else. 

I hope he gets a move to a team he can develop at, like Leeds, Wolves or Villa. He’s a huge talent and I don’t want to see him pottering around at this level, a move to a club where he can come off the bench and earn a starting spot in the Premier League is perfect for a guy with his talent and ability. 

He will go on to big, big things in the right environment. I wish him nothing but the best. 

5 hours ago, oomarkwright said:

Can see him going to Millwall. He knows Rowett and performed well against them. Is wasted and not wanted here. 1.5 rising to 2m maybe? Will shine somewhere else. 

Millwall don’t have that kind of money in fact probably no championship club will have in this window as it stands without money coming from a premiership club - Sibley chance will come for th3 Rams but he needs to take it

Edited by Sparkle

On 30/12/2021 at 05:34, oomarkwright said:

Not every club does their scouting "the Derby Way" ?

Loads of ability. It's been suggested that he does not apply himself but I think he's actually trying too hard and puts way too much pressure on himself. I also think that Wazza made a mistake singling him out as that may simply have compounded the problem. His basic skills deserted him and to me that was the result of him just being wound too tight. Every little error would see him flying into tackles to try and make up for it, but I think he just needs to trust in his ability and not try to influence the game every time he gets the ball. Would hate to see him leave as it's clear he loves the club and at some point the penny will drop, he'll stop overthinking and start finding the top bins at will as we know he can. CKR could be the making of him.

We have had many players in the last couple of years who have made the leap from academy to matchday squad, and many have done great. Sibley vs Blackburn before the Covid shutdown did great. Since then he has had many opportunities to shine but has rarely done so.

Knight, Bird, Buchanan and now Thompson have shown a level of consistency that has proved beyond what Sibley has been able to deliver. I don't buy the excuses about him being played outside of his best position.

Rooney's judgement about the alternatives he has and his consequent selections have been proved  on the money by the results achieved. Sibley faces a big challenge in getting back up the pecking order.

Sibleys first 3 or 4 games in a Derby shirt were the best from any academy player since Hughes and Hendrick.  Since then he's been played out wide and tried to hard in the few games he's had as number 10 in the last 15 months.   He seems to get a lot more verbal hammering from Rooney than anyway else.  Sometimes your face just stops fitting.  With a lack of squad depth and pretty toothless attack, being dropped to U23's is a kick in the nads.  He'll probably be off in January for a cut price to a Blackburn or off to Boro as a makeweight in some piss taking payoff.  In 2 years he'll be on the move again for 8-10 million. 

On 30/12/2021 at 10:20, Ambitious said:

I hope he gets a move to a team he can develop at, like Leeds, Wolves or Villa. He’s a huge talent and I don’t want to see him pottering around at this level, a move to a club where he can come off the bench and earn a starting spot in the Premier League is perfect for a guy with his talent and ability. 

He will go on to big, big things in the right environment. I wish him nothing but the best. 

He needs to start making an impact coming off the bench in the Championship first.

His substitute appearances for us have been pretty poor to be honest and he has struggled to do basics such as control and hold on to the ball.

Still way too young to write him off but he certainly wouldn't be the first to burst on to the scene at Derby, to great acclaim, and go on to have an average career.

Why would he develop at Leeds, wolves or Villa when he can’t seem to here? That’s absolute rubbish Ambitious sorry. Plenty of academy products are being given the chance and are taking those chances, he has been given chances too and hasnt taken them. We don’t know what he is or isn’t showing in training and around the club in general either but the proof of the pudding is in the eating. A bit like a house that is out on the market and has no viewings and doesn’t sell means it’s too expensive. If the price is right it gets snapped up. The facts that stare you in the face is he just isn’t good enough. That may hopefully be just at the moment or it might be period

6 minutes ago, Wolfie said:

Stopping getting booked every other game would be a start. He's been a liability for that.

I generally agree but it is a bit of a vicious circle (or it was when he was making the bench and coming on!) in that he would generally get 10-15 minutes a game to do something and usually when behind, so would come on and be very eager to get the ball back so he can do something to try and earn a start, which would lead to him being rash. That then leads to him being trusted less so being given less time or now, no time at all.

Last season I blamed Rooney as I couldn’t see that any of our players were improving under him at all. I’ve softened on that this season as we can see that it isn’t really the case, so it is now on Sibley to not give Rooney a choice. Although I still don’t see that Baldock on the wing as he was v WBA, is a better option than Sibley.

In hindsight I think it would have made sense to let him have a year out on loan but I can understand why that wasn’t done and probably couldn’t have been done. Think League 1 next season, if it comes to that, will give him some momentum back and do him the world of good, if he isn’t sold.