Louie Sibley

We shouldn’t sell Sibley because potentially he can be something special, young lads are going to make mistakes, on Tuesday I think it was Morrison who had a right go at Sibley because of him losing the ball stupidly and Salford were about to break big time on us, which could have finished us off in the game.

I don’t know if he has been told he can leave, but hopefully Rooney can nurture his talent at our club.

15 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

You blame Rooney for the way Sibley is playing. I suggested that he's not yet as good as some spectacular goal-scoring made him look. Young players are inconsistent and not all turn into Ronaldo or Messi even when the fans think they are. Again I refer you to Hughes who I think is vastly under-rated, but apparently I'm in a small group. And perhaps I'm slightly biased by the lovely football we saw from him here, him being 'one of our own'. 

I don’t blame Rooney for the way Sibley is playing particularly but I do blame him for only giving Sibley ten minutes a game last season when we were crying out for literally any spark at all. It is not fair to expect someone to make a difference when they are given limited time to do so. He is inconsistent but he has shown that at his best he will win points for Derby.

I wholeheartedly agree on Hughes. The whole situation with his sale was criminal and the minute Rowett said to Mel that he wanted to sell Hughes he should’ve been sacked on the spot. That’s why it’s so frustrating to see history repeating itself (if this is even true).

8 minutes ago, nottingram said:

I don’t blame Rooney for the way Sibley is playing particularly but I do blame him for only giving Sibley ten minutes a game last season when we were crying out for literally any spark at all. It is not fair to expect someone to make a difference when they are given limited time to do so. He is inconsistent but he has shown that at his best he will win points for Derby.

I wholeheartedly agree on Hughes. The whole situation with his sale was criminal and the minute Rowett said to Mel that he wanted to sell Hughes he should’ve been sacked on the spot. That’s why it’s so frustrating to see history repeating itself (if this is even true).

Completely with you. The fact that people are siding with Rooney's assessment is pretty amusing.

41 minutes ago, JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta said:

The simple fact is that whatever the merits of keeping or selling Sibley, if he goes it wont be to a no-mark, irrelevant, nothing club like Reading. If he goes it will be somewhere better than that.

Maybe it's along the lines of 'work harder young Sibs else it's Wendies or Reading for you'! ?

9 hours ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

I'll be honest.  His fouls last season seemed to cost goals which is why they were picked up on, with me as much as anyone else.  I would imagine on average Forsyth, Byrne and Shinnie must commit more though.  Sibley won't do anything playing out wide.  As a sub he at least needs to be used centrally.  I recall him airing that frustration himself after the Brentford game last season .  Sometimes you get a player who needs to move to get games in there position.   I would rather he played a bit more here though as he seems the most useful outlet for at least getting shots on target at the minute.. The one that springs to mind was Ramage when he went to Watford for 300k and was a goal machine playing behind a striker for 3 years. 

I get what you're saying but I still think that Sibley finds it very difficult to control himself and a lot of the time you're expecting the lunge or tackle before it comes, I don't remember Fozzy,Byrne or Shinnie being that predictable and they are more defensive players anyway.

There is definitely a problem there I think and i'm surprised Rooney doesn't think he can try and get that out of his game which then leads me to believe that if he truly rated him he would not have had that conversation whether he's a liability or not , there are plenty of players who needed guidance in the past

10 hours ago, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

Sibley has attacking intent but apart from one game hadn't really delivered much. Still got plenty to prove to me personally. It's all about opinion. 

Agree with this I watched Sibley in under23 game and to be really honest I don't think he shone enough to suggest he is a first team regular....just my opinion of course

1 hour ago, sage said:

He really is an enigma. I sometimes think that hat trick caused him more harm than good. He does certain parts of the game very well and other parts really poorly. At the moment he is a sub who comes on regularly IMO. 

I think roony trying teach him how to use this channel it to a point in attacking wise I seem roony had this issues in his younger playing days roony use to be red headed at times.

27 minutes ago, B4ev6is said:

I think roony trying teach him how to use this channel it to a point in attacking wise I seem roony had this issues in his younger playing days roony use to be red headed at times.

He’s not now he has the implants. I think they are brown. I bet ginger ones cost extra.

13 hours ago, sage said:

He really is an enigma. I sometimes think that hat trick caused him more harm than good. He does certain parts of the game very well and other parts really poorly. At the moment he is a sub who comes on regularly IMO. 

It's a shame that more people haven't had the pleasure of watching him in academy games. He was always the best player on the pitch, often it wasn't even close. The only player that looked remotely close that I can remember was Saka for Arsenal. 

He scored a hattrick because it's within his ability to do that at Championship level. We are talking about giving Ravel Morrison the freedom of Derby to develop and become the player that he has threatened to be. I would love us to do that with Sibley. Young players are going to have bad spells - Jason Knight was rolled out week-in, week-out last season when he was going through it. Sibley doesn't perform miracles within 10 minutes and people say he hasn't done enough. I don't get it personally. 

I am in no doubts whatsoever that Sibley is the best player this club has on its books and the highest ceiling of any Derby player I have ever seen. He is special in exactly what we lack; it's the greatest tragedy in football that we aren't affording him the time to showcase his ability even if he doesn't score a hattrick every game. In my opinion, of course. 

12 minutes ago, Ambitious said:

It's a shame that more people haven't had the pleasure of watching him in academy games. He was always the best player on the pitch, often it wasn't even close. The only player that looked remotely close that I can remember was Saka for Arsenal. 

He scored a hattrick because it's within his ability to do that at Championship level. We are talking about giving Ravel Morrison the freedom of Derby to develop and become the player that he has threatened to be. I would love us to do that with Sibley. Young players are going to have bad spells - Jason Knight was rolled out week-in, week-out last season when he was going through it. Sibley doesn't perform miracles within 10 minutes and people say he hasn't done enough. I don't get it personally. 

I am in no doubts whatsoever that Sibley is the best player this club has on its books and the highest ceiling of any Derby player I have ever seen. He is special in exactly what we lack; it's the greatest tragedy in football that we aren't affording him the time to showcase his ability even if he doesn't score a hattrick every game. In my opinion, of course. 

Yeah, I'm not sure I'd be quite as effusive in my praise but Sibley is one of the few attacking talents we have. Once Watson came off against Huddersfield the dynamic of the game changed, we looked like we could score from open play and that was because Sibley was the only one running beyond and stretching their backline. He's a massive asset for us if used correctly and if he gets a yellow card every other game because he's young and ill disciplined for my money it's something that we currently have to live with. From what I've seen he's the best academy talent we've produced out of the bunch that are currently playing and yet we're basically wasting him with sub appearances and playing him out of position. 

40 minutes ago, Ambitious said:

Agreed, with one exception. I think Festy has the highest ceiling due his physical attributes.

I hate the idea we'll sell him just because our manager doesn't see his potential or even worse, don't know how to use it. 

Edited by Dimmu

1 hour ago, Ambitious said:

I did watch them. Its still my opinion. 

He does have great potential but also has a lot to learn.