Louie Sibley

I think part of the issue is the other players don't trust him to keep the ball when he receives it with his back to the goal. As this is how most passes come to our forwards when moving the ball through the lines we are effectively a player short. Kamil Jozwaik has improved this part of his game and Louie Sibley needs to do the same.

With the ball at his feet going towards goal he's much better.

Sibley is the most gifted footballer at the club, with the highest potential ceiling. It's been painful to watch Rooney's criticisms and lack of faith in him. When Cocu was at the club I think he was talking about the lad being worth £30m soon. It's one of the biggest failures of Rooney's management that he's not been able to use Sibley as his most potent potential goalscoring and creative outlet, when we have been so desperate for both. Now the bids have started, I'm guessing he'll go for anything above half a million, maybe less. I just hope it's to the sort of Premier League team where he'll get his chance to flourish.

Just now, Carl Sagan said:

Sibley is the most gifted footballer at the club, with the highest potential ceiling. It's been painful to watch Rooney's criticisms and lack of faith in him. When Cocu was at the club I think he was talking about the lad being worth £30m soon. It's one of the biggest failures of Rooney's management that he's not been able to use Sibley as his most potent potential goalscoring and creative outlet, when we have been so desperate for both. Now the bids have started, I'm guessing he'll go for anything above half a million, maybe less. I just hope it's to the sort of Premier League team where he'll get his chance to flourish.

Very easy to blame Rooney for Sibleys from grace but who knows what has gone on behind the scenes as well. On the pitch he has hardly made himself undroppable and does appear to a bit of a class clown. Also when Rooney first took over Sibley showed his temperament couldnt be trusted.

One thing that is a fact is that Rooney has given plenty of youth players a chance who have come in and played well enough to get more game time in Williams, Thompson, Ebosele & Plange. There is a reason Sibley isnt on that list and it isnt Rooney.

If we won't use him then let him go to the best available spot. He's far too good to be pissing around in our U23s, with a manager that doesn't like him. 

He's career has stagnated too much already, which our environment can't be helping. I'd love to see him stick around, trusted more, but ultimately I just want to see him do whatever is best for his career. I want him to become the player I know he can become. 

19 minutes ago, DCFC1388 said:

Very easy to blame Rooney for Sibleys from grace but who knows what has gone on behind the scenes as well. On the pitch he has hardly made himself undroppable and does appear to a bit of a class clown. Also when Rooney first took over Sibley showed his temperament couldnt be trusted.

One thing that is a fact is that Rooney has given plenty of youth players a chance who have come in and played well enough to get more game time in Williams, Thompson, Ebosele & Plange. There is a reason Sibley isnt on that list and it isnt Rooney.

That's always a bit of a weak one for me.  Sibley certainly gave away free kicks in dangerous positions but that didn't stop Byrne getting picked regularly at the same time giving away as many, if not more.  Joswiak looked like he was planning on basing his career at fouling fullbacks in promising positions last season . Forsyth almost relegated us on his own last game of the season but still gets picked.  I don't think Sibleys face fits with Rooney, it happens but he will do well elsewhere given a run of 20 games going the right way -in the attacking third as a midfielder or 10 without the defensive shackles- probably go somewhere and have a similar goal output to Ramage, his trajectory is almost identical.  He could certainly score 10 goals for us that were missing.

27 minutes ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

That's always a bit of a weak one for me.  Sibley certainly gave away free kicks in dangerous positions but that didn't stop Byrne getting picked regularly at the same time giving away as many, if not more.  Joswiak looked like he was planning on basing his career at fouling fullbacks in promising positions last season . Forsyth almost relegated us on his own last game of the season but still gets picked.  I don't think Sibleys face fits with Rooney, it happens but he will do well elsewhere given a run of 20 games going the right way -in the attacking third as a midfielder or 10 without the defensive shackles- probably go somewhere and have a similar goal output to Ramage, his trajectory is almost identical.  He could certainly score 10 goals for us that were missing.

I personally would like to see him get more game time and he has bags of ability but when given the chance he needs to take it.

Fullbacks will concede freekicks, they're up against wingers and fouls in general will happen. The issue with Sibley was his fouls were often needless and was down to his temperament, it was also when he was coming off the bench to have an impact going forward but made more impact against us than for us. 

Rooney called him out on it, like he has others, its down to Sibley to bounce back from it like Waghorn & Bielik both did when they got dropped from the squad.

5 minutes ago, Jubbs said:

Hard to stand out when he's playing out of position and making sub appearances. Look what happens when he plays in his correct position for the U23's...

It hasn't prevented Ebosele standing out, or Knight becoming vital to the way we play. 

Sibbo just needs to show his manager what his manager wants to see. He's a good enough player to play across those forward positions if he applies himself. 

10 hours ago, Carl Sagan said:

Lol. I take it you've not seen Sibley's performances for the first team this season? I'm sure (in my minimal posts) i've said this before, if they are good enough they will play under Rooney. But natural talent isn't enough, they need to work hard, not be a loose cannon giving free kicks away.

I'm sure it was with you I had a similar debate about Whittaker, but again... if he was good enough he'd have been playing for us, and for swansea. Now he's at League 1, i hope i'm very wrong and Sibley's time is with us, but at the moment i can only see him going on a similar path. Whereas someone like Ebosele is destined for great things.

37 minutes ago, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

This blaming of the coaches is wrong. Ability will out. If he wants to play then make yourself undropable in training. When you get some game time, stand out. He's not had a ball and chain attached to him. Step up lad. 

I know we don’t see what goes on in training, and that is an important point to make, but he is not getting any game time to make an impression. His last appearance was for 3 minutes away at Millwall, two months ago. He hasn’t had meaningful minutes since the Blackburn game at home. He played poorly, yes, but so did everyone. Since then we have seen Aghatise come on as a sub over him (I believe to try and make a point) and Sam Baldock starting over him in the attacking midfield trio. I refuse to believe this is on any sort of on pitch merit because a) Baldock is crap, b) you are probably going to have to sub him after 25 minutes anyway and c) he is out of contract in two weeks. I can understand him not getting in while we’re playing well and scoring a few goals, before this month we have been very very average with very little to lose.

It is a waste of time letting him play in the U23’s where he can half arse it and still be the best player on the pitch by a mile. Nobody is learning anything from it. It isn’t going to help him improve, it isn’t going to improve his work ethic and it isn’t going to make Rooney pick him for the first team.

In my opinion he is our best player technically. Rooney has spoken lots about man management, surely part of that is finding a way to unlock that? I don’t think it’s going to be by alienating him.

I am pretty confident in saying if we sold him, we would hugely regret it, unless it is to literally keep the club in existence.

17 minutes ago, Sidd10 said:

Lol. I take it you've not seen Sibley's performances for the first team this season? I'm sure (in my minimal posts) i've said this before, if they are good enough they will play under Rooney. But natural talent isn't enough, they need to work hard, not be a loose cannon giving free kicks away.

I'm sure it was with you I had a similar debate about Whittaker, but again... if he was good enough he'd have been playing for us, and for swansea. Now he's at League 1, i hope i'm very wrong and Sibley's time is with us, but at the moment i can only see him going on a similar path. Whereas someone like Ebosele is destined for great things.

Ebosele is good and his versatility is very useful and one of the reasons he is an excellent option both starting and on the bench. But he wasted three or four excellent openings on Monday because it looked like he was playing with trampolines on his feet. The point being Sibley does not seem to be afforded the chance to play poorly while some others are. That isn’t just Ebosele, it’s everyone else too. 

He has been out of form for a while now but is clearly an excellent footballer. Surely the point of management is to coax performances out of him, not leave him playing levels below himself in the U23’s?

7 minutes ago, nottingram said:

In my opinion he is our best player technically.

Good luck with that one. 

He's got the potential to be a match-winner for us, no question. But technically, he's still quite raw and his decision making has often been poor. He needs to work on his shortcomings and hopefully he realises it. 

1 minute ago, Crewton said:

Good luck with that one. 

He's got the potential to be a match-winner for us, no question. But technically, he's still quite raw and his decision making has often been poor. He needs to work on his shortcomings and hopefully he realises it. 

Morrison, Lawrence, maybe Bird and Knight are the only ones who would be in the conversation in my opinion.

I don’t think many in this squad could score some of the goals he has for the first team. 

I fully agree his decision making and general weaknesses have to improve. That goes for every single player in the sport but with Sibley that isn’t going to happen in the U23’s because frankly while he is playing for them he does not need to, because he is already 10x better than anyone else. His own commitment comes into it but so does coaching, else what is the point of a coach?

My general point is that he doesn’t seem to be allowed the leeway of poor performances like some are.