v Huddersfield (H) Match Thread

Day

2 minutes ago, B4ev6is said:

I think goals will come we just got keep trying chipping away at teams but I do feel against all the odds but really feeling something good about to happen.

Well, if we can learn to defend then the other guys can improve also.

Today's performance from both sides is what you expect to see from a bottom half team. Which for us is probably better than many fans expected.

Our defence as like last season, still looks like conceding a goal every time a ball is played into the box from corners and free kicks. I can't decide if this is because our defensive players are not able to mark the attacking players correctly or they are trying to defend zonally and doing it badly. This problem won't improve, even with the introduction of two good centre-backs, until our coaching staff get our defenders better organised in how to defend free-kicks.

We still look toothless in attack, again not sure if this is down to  the available players or poor coaching and tactics

But overall with no major influx of new players, a point from our first game is more than I was expecting

42 minutes ago, Beetroot said:

Maybe you should keep half an eye on what's happening on planet earth while you're dreaming of Mars?

Ha ha! There's never been a better time to be alive. On a day-to-day basis people don't tend to see the improvement, but if you look back just 10 or 20 years ago the world's been transformed and the UK is in the vanguard of that. We live in what's probably the most tolerant and diverse country in the world, and should be proud of that.

4 hours ago, Steve Buckley’s Dog said:

I think they were at a different game to me. A draw was a fair result. Both teams could have won it near the end. No mention of the penalty incident in the report? Or Lawrence being clear through? I wonder why.

And ‘COVID ravaged’? They had 4 players out! Not exactly ravaged is it - we had as many players out injured but I suppose that didn’t fit the pre-conceived narrative. 

As for the match, I really enjoyed it. We aren’t very good but we battled and that is all you can ask. It is going to be a tough season but if we can get behind them like today we might just be able to stay up. Forsyth was magnificent today and Curtis’ interview after the game just as much so. 

Nice touch by the EFL in stepping in to supply the ref instead of the FA as well. Much appreciated - I love a crap ref, nothing gets us going more! 

COYR

The ref was truly rubbish. A fact that didn’t escape my 9-year-old daughter in her maiden Derby game: "Dad. Why is the ref so bad?".

Unpopular opinion but Bird offers absolutely nothing to our team. Receives the ball too square never on the half turn so his only option is ever backwards. Could do with a day watching Thorne’s highlights. Not a battler nor a passer or progressive player. I despise the fact that we get a free kick and the takers first instinct is to look behind him. 

Morrison may well be able to pick a forward pass. We can only hope. Decent result today but Huddersfield will be down there with us. 2 points lost for us and a point gained for them.  

It felt so good to be back at PP and I felt that we did okay considering the turmoil within the club atm.

Forsyth had a really good game as did Curtis Davies, however Joz was disappointing. Our starting 11 lack any pace both front and back and Huddersfield were happy to press high up the pitch. This changed with the introduction of Sibley and Esobele, suddenly the our opponents were worried about runners in behind and we looked much more threatening.

Looking at the highlights for their goal it looks like 3 players are offside when the free kick is actually taken. Kazim loses his man who scores with a header from inside the 6 yard box, I felt at the time that Roos could have come for the cross. He did however make a great reaction save late in the game. Sibley had a great chance near the end but a draw was probably a fair result.

Hopefully we will improve as the season progresses.

7 hours ago, Leeds Ram said:

First of all I LOVED being back at Pride Park. I was so happy that we cheered the lads on and despite the problems engulfing the club that did not seep through. I honestly thought it could go toxic today but it was anything but. Yes, the attendance was very thin but at times especially during the first half it felt just like there were 30,000 in the ground tbh. Hopefully, despite what will be a very difficult season we keep up that level of support. I've just got back after going for a dinner with the gf post game so my thoughts may be a bit scattergun.

I don't think the stearman/davies combo worked, even against a reduced Huddersfield attack they looked shaky as soon as 1 vs 1 happened and they got in behind quite a few times. Changed my mind on Roos after today i think, made at least 2 very good saves that kept us level.  I love Davies and he should start but Stearman's positioning is way too off for someone with his lack of pace. Both of them together for the season is asking for us to concede an average of close to 2 a game.  This was almost as poor an attacking unit against us as I can remember but they still had 3-4 pretty solid chances and plenty of half chances.  I'd honestly try one of the younger lads like Cashin and take our chances by giving us some cover.

In midfield Shinnie looked good and Bird was more settled second half. I still don't like the combination and again they failed to really give us enough either defensively or going forward. It's not that they're individually bad but together they just don't work. 

Going forward we need to start Sibley, only when he came on did we even look like stretching their backline. I know people are fans of watson but we need someone stretching and moving ahead to give space in the midfield and that is Sibley. The goals are a big concern as chance creation was very slim on the ground. I can't think of a chance beyond the set piece and lawrence intercepting a ball that we created all game. 

Despite the very hard work and effort we barely scraped a draw against a reduced huddersfield team that didn't look good themselves. Defensively we looked fragile and didn't offer enough going forward. I'm  not pinning the blame on anyone as there were no obvious errors but to put it simply at this level atm we're not good enough to stay in the division. 

Agree entirely. Great analysis but I’ll name names:

1. We need more industry from skipper Lawrence. If the game is passing you by you need to switch tack and get yourself involved.

2. Ditto Jozwiak. Euros hangover? 

3. Sibley made a real difference from the first few seconds he was on.

4. There goal was a great ball in and a great header but our defence looked “schoolboy” and frozen statues. That needs to change otherwise we’ll concede a lot of goals from corners. 

12 hours ago, RoyMac5 said:

Easy to suggest it's risk averse but we had two very good chances (Watson and Lawrence) and a goal in the first half, plus two CBs who had only just been introduced.

We also lack real attacking options and flair 

I think til more attacking options are added it’s the only way we can be tbh 

edit:Morrison’s arrival should (hopefully) help

8 hours ago, Leeds Ram said:

First of all I LOVED being back at Pride Park. I was so happy that we cheered the lads on and despite the problems engulfing the club that did not seep through. I honestly thought it could go toxic today but it was anything but. Yes, the attendance was very thin but at times especially during the first half it felt just like there were 30,000 in the ground tbh. Hopefully, despite what will be a very difficult season we keep up that level of support. I've just got back after going for a dinner with the gf post game so my thoughts may be a bit scattergun.

I don't think the stearman/davies combo worked, even against a reduced Huddersfield attack they looked shaky as soon as 1 vs 1 happened and they got in behind quite a few times. Changed my mind on Roos after today i think, made at least 2 very good saves that kept us level.  I love Davies and he should start but Stearman's positioning is way too off for someone with his lack of pace. Both of them together for the season is asking for us to concede an average of close to 2 a game.  This was almost as poor an attacking unit against us as I can remember but they still had 3-4 pretty solid chances and plenty of half chances.  I'd honestly try one of the younger lads like Cashin and take our chances by giving us some cover.

In midfield Shinnie looked good and Bird was more settled second half. I still don't like the combination and again they failed to really give us enough either defensively or going forward. It's not that they're individually bad but together they just don't work. 

Going forward we need to start Sibley, only when he came on did we even look like stretching their backline. I know people are fans of watson but we need someone stretching and moving ahead to give space in the midfield and that is Sibley. The goals are a big concern as chance creation was very slim on the ground. I can't think of a chance beyond the set piece and lawrence intercepting a ball that we created all game. 

Despite the very hard work and effort we barely scraped a draw against a reduced huddersfield team that didn't look good themselves. Defensively we looked fragile and didn't offer enough going forward. I'm  not pinning the blame on anyone as there were no obvious errors but to put it simply at this level atm we're not good enough to stay in the division. 

Crikey it’s weird how we all see the game so differently lol

im not arguing with u and respect ur views totally but I thought shinnie first half was absolutely shocking, he got caught on the ball and his second touch had to be a tackle cos his first was so bad, highlighted for the cheap free kick we gave away for their equaliser.

he hustled and bustled as shinnie does and improved second half but first he looked well off it 

the centre half pairing looked absolutely fine first half and start of the second when up against Rhodes and whoever the other lad was but as soon as they brought on Campbell and the other quick lad they started to isolate us in the channels and should have scored 

didn’t help that we were clearly employing a tactic of having fozzy high up for that cross field right to left diagonal to try and flick on so his starting position was high up leaving space in that channel 

bringing on festy seemed to help a little and pushed them back a little but by that time our attacking intent and ability to try and play between the lines had evaporated 

note that’s all just my opinion not arguing 

funny game and all that 

Edited by NottsRam77

Think we have to give the lads and, I suppose, Rooney some credit. These are some incredibly turbulent times for the club and I thought that what is a makeshift team did well enough in the circumstances.

Sadly, I see one or two players already coming under fire on here after one game and one game only. Each to their own I guess, but thankfully the fans who attended the game were in really good voice and gave the lads plenty of encouragement. It was great to see fans back at PP and again, given the circumstances, I think the reported crowd of around 17k is far from shabby.

All in all, more positives to be taken than negatives, but clearly much work to be done, on and off the pitch.

COYR

6 hours ago, ollycutts1982 said:

Unpopular opinion but Bird offers absolutely nothing to our team. Receives the ball too square never on the half turn so his only option is ever backwards. Could do with a day watching Thorne’s highlights. Not a battler nor a passer or progressive player. I despise the fact that we get a free kick and the takers first instinct is to look behind him. 

Morrison may well be able to pick a forward pass. We can only hope. Decent result today but Huddersfield will be down there with us. 2 points lost for us and a point gained for them.  

Totally disagree.

Firstly, Bird's primary role playing at DM is controlling the tempo, which he does by knocking pop passes around (wrongly tarred as pointless sideways passes) whilst looking for forward players in space. He's also very under-rated defensively & often cuts out attacks with his positional intelligence as opposed to Shinnie's terrier like approach.

Secondly, he is very capable of playing killer passes. There were a couple in the Salford friendly & plenty from last season (Luton away, Huddersfield away criminally flagged offside & Boro at home..just off top of my head). 

My main criticism of him is that he needs to move into space a bit more, like he did when he first got into the team last Jan. Also believe he needs to be more advanced & central but thats a fault of current tactics rather than the player himself. Fully believe he's a very good player in the making & that opinion shared by those in the know...Cocu made him captain & Rooney has spoken about him one day being England quality. 

1 minute ago, LeedsCityRam said:

Totally disagree.

Firstly, Bird's primary role playing at DM is controlling the tempo, which he does by knocking pop passes around (wrongly tarred as pointless sideways passes) whilst looking for forward players in space. He's also very under-rated defensively & often cuts out attacks with his positional intelligence as opposed to Shinnie's terrier like approach.

Secondly, he is very capable of playing killer passes. There were a couple in the Salford friendly & plenty from last season (Luton away, Huddersfield away criminally flagged offside & Boro at home..just off top of my head). 

My main criticism of him is that he needs to move into space a bit more, like he did when he first got into the team last Jan. Also believe he needs to be more advanced & central but thats a fault of current tactics rather than the player himself. Fully believe he's a very good player in the making & that opinion shared by those in the know...Cocu made him captain & Rooney has spoken about him one day being England quality. 

I just don’t think he does it enough tbh (atm ) he’s learning his game and we forget that he’s still a young boy himself 

the other mitigating factor I think is that he has limited options ahead of him 

Iv noticed when he’s played in that role by himself he’s been a lot more expansive with the ball.. shockingly cos he has a few more options ahead of him .. playing in a deep two he has shinnie literally next to him and not a lot else ahead of him so I don’t really blame him for having to play the safe sideways or back ball 

I’d rather that than him idly turn possession over 

I think he’s a victim a little of Rooneys current safety first approach 

will be interesting to see how he performs with maybe Morrison ahead of him 

depending on where Morrison ends up

7 hours ago, Sheff Ram said:

The ref was truly rubbish. A fact that didn’t escape my 9-year-old daughter in her maiden Derby game: "Dad. Why is the ref so bad?".

At a guess, at the referees pre-season meet up at the Sneinton Masonic Lodge and Referee Indoctronation Centre - available for parties, weddings and events - they all decided "look, fans are going to be back in ground this season so we have to show we're not going to be influenced by crowds. Give the home teams nothing. Corwds have got to learn we're the only important ones."

Some pretty harsh opinions being expressed about a couple of players I think. Criticism of Bird in particular, who I thought was tidy and assured, if not spectacular. 

I managed to get ‘my’ seat and unfortunately so did the blokes who sit around me who, while extolling the virtues of a crowd being at the ground to ‘support the lads’ took a whole 11 minutes to fall into their usual ‘moaning old gits ’ mode and proceeded to slag off every Derby player on the pitch for the next 80 mins. They love a scapegoat and Jozwiak seems to be the man of the moment. To be fair, they’ve waited a long time to vent their spleens to anybody who is forced to listen, so I’m sure it was a lot of fun for them. It is amazing though how quickly they rolled back the years and got into their ‘groove’.

I’m not suggesting it was a performance without criticism, but considering the build up, it wasn’t terrible. We obviously need to work on defending set pieces (something I’ve been saying for 40 years) and give fewer free kicks away (very naive at times). Cutting down the number of chances we allow from these areas should be of paramount importance. But overall defending from open play was OK.

We’re obviously not going to score a bag full of goals, so a solid back 4 is imperative. 

Best thing about yesterday was that given all the talk of protests and abusing Mel, the atmosphere was actually quite chilled and positive (apart from the chuckle brothers who sit near me). Might not have been that way if we’d gone 1-0 down or lost, but it was nice all the same. 

7 hours ago, Carl Sagan said:

Ha ha! There's never been a better time to be alive. On a day-to-day basis people don't tend to see the improvement, but if you look back just 10 or 20 years ago the world's been transformed and the UK is in the vanguard of that. We live in what's probably the most tolerant and diverse country in the world, and should be proud of that.

We are becoming increasingly diverse but increasingly tolerant? No way, only in the young. 

Just now, NottsRam77 said:

I just don’t think he does it enough tbh (atm ) he’s learning his game and we forget that he’s still a young boy himself 

the other mitigating factor I think is that he has limited options ahead of him 

Iv noticed when he’s played in that role by himself he’s been a lot more expansive with the ball.. shockingly cos he has a few more options ahead of him .. playing in a deep two he has shinnie literally next to him and not a lot else ahead of him so I don’t really blame him for having to play the safe sideways or back ball 

I’d rather that than him idly turn possession over 

I think he’s a victim a little of Rooneys current safety first approach 

will be interesting to see how he performs with maybe Morrison ahead of him 

depending on where Morrison ends up

Yes, some fair comment there. This is why I dont understand Lawrence picking the ball up so deep. Get the forward players up the park, insist they are always on the move & task Max with finding them. Again yesterday, not enough men in the box & not enough men around Kazim. Ravel is quality but dont want him also dropping back like Lawrence....want him hurting opposition by receiving the ball in their half, turning & driving at them.

Rooney obviously wants to maximise our full back strength with the current tactics but that should be Shinnie's role to cover whichever one has moved up the park (the other one sitting deeper). Max needs to be involved in the play more.