v Huddersfield (H) Match Thread

Day

2 hours ago, Dean (hick) Saunders said:

Did not go but am planning on going to the Boro game.

My brother in law is scared of tech and I was wondering if anyone had any issues with scanning bar code on the phone to get in? (This is concerning him, he has autism).

Refusing to buy a printer just to go to game.

Ta

I’m also a bit of a technophobe, I don’t own a printer so I got the phone tickets, I had 4 tickets on my phone and as we were in the queue to get in a steward told us to just go to the open gates and show our phone to the steward there. I showed him the four bar codes, no scanning and he just said “yeah that’s fine” and we went in. I could have shown him different tickets and we would have got in I think! 
That’s why I think the attendance was lower than it actually was, I’ve no proof but I thought it looked more like 17-18,000. There were loads of people not having their phones scanned so I think your brother in law will be fine in just showing his phone. 

37 minutes ago, dcfc the 1 4me said:

I’m also a bit of a technophobe, I don’t own a printer so I got the phone tickets, I had 4 tickets on my phone and as we were in the queue to get in a steward told us to just go to the open gates and show our phone to the steward there. I showed him the four bar codes, no scanning and he just said “yeah that’s fine” and we went in. I could have shown him different tickets and we would have got in I think! 
That’s why I think the attendance was lower than it actually was, I’ve no proof but I thought it looked more like 17-18,000. There were loads of people not having their phones scanned so I think your brother in law will be fine in just showing his phone. 

Not sure if you use one but if you keep the tickets on an app like pass android,when you open it to display your ticket,it increases the phone's brightness to ensure its read easily by the ticket machine.

Most of the problems with digital tickets is that they are not displayed brightly enough to be read.

Edited by kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong

7 hours ago, Tyler Durden said:

If that's the case and looking around the ground yesterday can believe it then that's truly dreadful.

Can't blame Covid and the summer holiday season all on that unfortunately. 

I know quite a few die hard fans who have been going for years not going until Covid rates drop significantly or Covid passports are introduced. Some because of themselves and others as they have vulnerable elderly parents. Think there may be more folk in that position than we realise. 

2 minutes ago, Reggie Greenwood said:

I know quite a few die hard fans who have been going for years not going until Covid rates drop significantly or Covid passports are introduced. Some because of themselves and others as they have vulnerable elderly parents. Think there may be more folk in that position than we realise. 

Where I sit in West Stand there were previously lots of older people. I didn't see anyone I recognised yesterday. They could be elsewhere, of course but I doubt it. 

On the plus side there were some younger people and families in there that made a bit more noise than usual. I liked that! 

1 hour ago, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

Not sure if you use one but if you keep the tickets on an app like pass android,when you open it to display your ticket,it increases the phone's brightness to ensure its read easily by the ticket machine.

Most of the problems with digital tickets is that they are not displayed brightly enough to be read.

I don’t use an app, I just had my tickets emailed to me, it was advised on the email to put brightness up, so good advice, I usually do have it on full brightness anyway so I can see it without my specs! 

9 minutes ago, europia said:

The poor attendance is merely a reflection of fans feelings on a football club in a state of total disarray. Actually 16249 is commendable turnout, considering what supporters have had to put up with. 

Actually, considering our ticket office isn’t actually open it’s pretty good.

3 hours ago, angieram said:

I think the extended highlights are available to members only this season. Which might have been an enticement but not if other clubs are providing them foc! 

Is membership free. How do you become a member of said membership.

5 minutes ago, europia said:

The poor attendance is merely a reflection of fans feelings on a football club in a state of total disarray. Actually 16249 is commendable turnout, considering what supporters have had to put up with. 

Agreed. I remember being in a crowd of just 8000 at the BBG against Blackburn in September 1982 and that was just 7 years after we had won the league! Four months later with a new manager and owner 33,000 were packed in when we knocked Forest out of the FA Cup. 

Some great observations on here, thank you. The most common one is that it is good to be back!

It was a fair score, with the Rams producing far more than could honestly be expected, especially given that no-one knew who would be playing until midday Friday! And that our central defenders had never played together!

I must commend Tom Lawrence. Not for his going deep to pick up the ball, or for his hard work, but that although he got loads of good tackles in, there wasn't any sign of his hot headedness or petulance. Absolutely superb, especially as this ref seemed to book any Derby player that moved! Maybe Tom had got the ref sussed, which is why he didn't go down in the area. A friend in the North Stand who is a qualified ref (not sure if that is anything to boast about given what we have to put up with at Pride Park!) said both penalties were good shouts, especially the foul on Louie Watson.

Some are having a go at people on this forum for singling out players for criticism, meaning Joswiack. I think the reason is that it was clearly his weakness all of last season, and despite a good showing in the Euros he is still making the same gash mistakes in front of goal. It seems that there is no sign of having learned anything, or made any progress. Shame, as he holds the ball well, and works well in midfield, .............. until that final decision.

The issue of Sibley and how he is being used at Derby remains. His "game-changing" performance has been questioned because he didn't score and change the game. Really? We had just had 50 minutes with no clue as to who was going to even try to score, while Sibbers managed three really good shots. Maybe he should have done better, but actually he did much better than any of the other players whose job it is to shoot at goal.

I am furiosu about the yellow card he was given, because it was his first, and possibly only foul, almost as if the ref had been charge with carding Sibley. The same applies to Louie Watson, who was also carded for his first offence. He had been targetted, because he was clattered heavily three times in the opening 15 minutes or so, plus the penalty incident, with little done to cut out the heavy handed tactics by our opponents. As most said, he got it wrong in virtually all the 50/50 challenges, and allowed Huddersfield's strong arm tactics to go without restraint. One of the reasons CKR didn't produce very much is that he was being bear-hugged every time the ball got near him. That he did some good things is credit to him. 

So - we weren't anything special, but everyone seemed committed to the cause, and battled hard, producing more than we could have expected. And it is clear that the summer break has meant that the refs hadn't lost their edge - they are still crap. I reckon there is reason for hope, at least some hope, which is way better than I had thought.

The main thing is that it is good to be amongst fans again, even though the Rams administration (can I use that word now?) made a mess of the ticketing. They promised to keep our seats available for season ticket holders, but had actually sold our seats from under our backsides, so we hardly knew anyone around us. The upside is that we now get to know even more Rams fans than we did before!

Edited by DavesaRam

TLDR; Enough to be positive about, but the same old problems remain.

I wasn't expecting much from this game. I was just glad to be back, in my second home, with my Dad.

Given the circumstances, the performance yesterday was one deserving of praise. The defence looked largely untroubled. Impressed by Stearman, who I wasn't confident about. It showed a little that he and Curtis Davies hadn't played together, or even trained that much together, and didn't even know if they'd be playing until the day before, but otherwise they showed promise. Thought the full backs kept getting caught out, especially Foz as he was pushing so far up the pitch.

Shinnie was excellent, he was everywhere. Bird did okay, but needed to get on the ball more - need more of those razor sharp passes that set Watson and Sibley away. Thought the former was unlucky not to get a penalty. Lawrence was busy, work rate excellent, shame he wasn't that productive, but again unlucky not to get a penalty.

Definitely need another striker. A typical Colin performance, but sometimes you need something a little different. Jozwiak, I dunno. Feel like he just needs the confidence. One to go in off his backside or something. Went on a great run, but just kept... well... running, where there needed to be a shot or a final pass.

Such a Derby goal to concede though. But again, when the 2 CBs have barely been playing together, or weren't even sure if they were going to be playing... how do you work on set pieces?

A point was a fair result to me.

But none of that matters to me now. For sadly, my Dad passed away suddenly Sunday morning. A lifelong Ram who saw Derby win championships, beat European giants, drop to the third tier, nearly go out of business under Maxwell, and rise back again to the Premier League. I'm just so glad that, even with Derby in the situation they find themselves in, he managed to see one last game with me, one last goal. What happened on the pitch wasn't especially memorable, but the day definitely will be.

Up the Rams. Be kind. x

Edited by Animal is a Ram

1 hour ago, Rampage said:

Is membership free. How do you become a member of said membership.

No not free. There are several levels of membership which have replaced the old home and away memberships. We were away members anyway so became members. It said one of the things we would get are extended highlights, but I haven't checked that out yet.

Details are here.

https://www.dcfc.co.uk/news/2021/08/all-new-Derby-county-membership-is-here-for-202122-season

1 minute ago, angieram said:

No not free. There are several levels of membership which have replaced the old home and away memberships. We were away members anyway so became members. It said one of the things we would get are extended highlights, but I haven't checked that out yet.

Details are here.

https://www.dcfc.co.uk/news/2021/08/all-new-Derby-county-membership-is-here-for-202122-season

Thanks Angie.

5 minutes ago, Animal is a Ram said:

I wasn't expecting much from this game. I was just glad to be back, in my second home, with my Dad.

Given the circumstances, the performance yesterday was one deserving of praise. The defence looked largely untroubled. Impressed by Stearman, who I wasn't confident about. It showed a little that he and Curtis Davies hadn't played together, or even trained that much together, and didn't even know if they'd be playing until the day before, but otherwise they showed promise. Thought the full backs kept getting caught out, especially Foz as he was pushing so far up the pitch.

Shinnie was excellent, he was everywhere. Bird did okay, but needed to get on the ball more - need more of those razor sharp passes that set Watson and Sibley away. Thought the former was unlucky not to get a penalty. Lawrence was busy, work rate excellent, shame he wasn't that productive, but again unlucky not to get a penalty.

Definitely need another striker. A typical Colin performance, but sometimes you need something a little different. Jozwiak, I dunno. Feel like he just needs the confidence. One to go in off his backside or something. Went on a great run, but just kept... well... running, where there needed to be a shot or a final pass.

Such a Derby goal to concede though. But again, when the 2 CBs have barely been playing together, or weren't even sure if they were going to be playing... how do you work on set pieces?

But none of that matters to me now. For sadly, my Dad passed away suddenly Sunday morning. A lifelong Ram who saw Derby win championships, beat European giants, drop to the third tier, nearly go out of business under Maxwell, and rise back again to the Premier League. I'm just so glad that, even with Derby in the situation they find themselves in, he managed to see one last game with me, one last goal. What happened on the pitch wasn't especially memorable, but the day definitely will be.

I am pretty sure that I can speak for everyone on here in giving our sympathy and condolences but so glad you have that one last memory. Once a ram always a ram. ?

8 minutes ago, Animal is a Ram said:

So sorry to hear that. Look after yourself and your family. ?

7 hours ago, Animal is a Ram said:

Up the Rams. Be kind. x

I’ve only just read your post. I  so sorry and my heart goes out to you. ❤️