Captain Tom Lawrence

RoyMac5

Anyone else notice that it was Curtis who lightened the mood and put his arm around Tom’s neck in a playful (and supportive) way? What a man.

As for Tom being chosen, I’m surprised but happy to support him. As others have said, it could be the making of him and, unlike some others, I’m not writing him off or ridiculing the choice.

his interview on Rams player didn't give me any confidence of him as a leader and thats from me who has spent alot of time defending him. massive pressure on him now, not just cause he is Tom Lawrence but whole season he will be in the spot light even more

good luck Tom, you will needed it 

dragon GIF

Interesting shout - Not one I would have called but I think the rationale Rooney has given is a decent one

I think we've been missing leadership figures across the board - We were at our best the last couple of seasons with figures like Davies and Bielik in the side and it looks like Rooney is trying to sign up a few more players like that (as old as they may be)

I'm not convinced the captain in a side is the sole focus of leadership in the modern game - Think having 'leaders all over the pitch' seems to be a standard phrase now and actually might apply - We have a lot of grafters and some talent (Knight, Shinnie, Bird, Byrne, Buchannan etc etc) but not a lot of leaders - So might be good to give the armband to one of our more talented players to keep him focused and working hard rather than give it to a CB who will provide plenty of leadership from the back anyway 

Like it or not he is currently one of our best players. In matches where chances are at a premium and we aren't creating much he is one of the only players we have that can conjure something out of nothing. 

Is he as consistent as we would like? No. But if he was consistently as good as he can be there is a 0% chance he'd be playing for Derby.

In terms of the Joiners Arms incident, he was grieving for his mother. That's doesn't excuse his behaviour, but I certainly understand it having been to a similar place myself.

I hope this is the making of him, he's been a good player for us despite what some folk on here say. Just because he isn't raking in 30 yarders every week doesn't mean he's rubbish.

Good luck, captain.

1 minute ago, JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta said:

Like it or not he is currently one of our best players. In matches where chances are at a premium and we aren't creating much he is one of the only players we have that can conjure something out of nothing. 

Is he as consistent as we would like? No. But if he was consistently as good as he can be there is a 0% chance he'd be playing for Derby.

In terms of the Joiners Arms incident, he was grieving for his mother. That's doesn't excuse his behaviour, but I certainly understand it having been to a similar place myself.

I hope this is the making of him, he's been a good player for us despite what some folk on here say. Just because he isn't raking in 30 yarders every week doesn't mean he's rubbish.

Good luck, captain.

I agree. Let’s hope it’s the making of him and, at some point, we have to move on from the Joiners Arms incident. That can’t be a millstone around his neck for the rest of his career.

The only other thing I’d say is you don’t necessarily have to be best player in the squad to be captain. Being a leader takes other qualities that hopefully he will display.

Bit odd to give the captain's armband to a player that's never shown any leadership credentials up to this point.

The "it might make him mature" argument is illogical and wouldn't hold water in any other industry. 

How would you feel if one of your colleagues who got your old team leader sacked because he crashed a car drunk with your team leader in it, and had a track record of letting you down a few times by losing his head in vital moments, was made team leader because it might by some magic sort out his flaws? 

I can't make sense of the argument that regular demonstrations of irresponsibility makes you the best person for a position of responsibility. We're talking about club captain here, not the Year 3 milk monitor.

None of this is criticism of Tom Lawrence's character as a professional footballer, by the way. His team-mates obviously still respect him and he has served punishments for his indiscretions. But to become club captain is a huge leap.

Edited by Duracell

I've been somewhat vocal against Tom in the past but predominantly because we've all seen how good he can be and so it's been so frustrating seeing him blow so hot and cold.  He is however now one of most senior and experienced players.  Maybe, just maybe giving him this mantle will bring the absolute best out of him.  Let's give him a chance first before we do the usual and assume it's all going to go wrong. Either way, we still have the likes of Davis and Shinnie who are natural leaders so he wouldn't be alone on the pitch anyway. 

I find it odd that at a time when we were changing captain every week Tom never got a look in. I know injuries played a big part in his season but surely there were times when Wanye would have given him a go if he'd shown any kind of leadership?

Wonder if he actually wants to leave and this is an incentive for him to stay as 'our most important player' or whether this is a way to circumvent the contract restrictions we're under in order to give him a payrise (Captain bonus).  

12 minutes ago, Duracell said:

Bit odd to give the captain's armband to a player that's never shown any leadership credentials up to this point.

The "it might make him mature" argument is illogical and wouldn't hold water in any other industry. 

How would you feel if one of your colleagues who got your old team leader sacked because he crashed a car drunk with your team leader in it, and had a track record of letting you down a few times by losing his head in vital moments, was made team leader because it might by some magic sort out his flaws? 

I can't make sense of the argument that regular demonstrations of irresponsibility makes you the best person for a position of responsibility. We're talking about club captain here, not the Year 3 milk monitor.

None of this is criticism of Tom Lawrence's character as a professional footballer, by the way. His team-mates obviously still respect him and he has served punishments for his indiscretions. But to become club captain is a huge leap.

Just this tbh. I haven't seen Lawrence do much on the pitch in terms of leadership but what he has done is get himself stupidly sent off, losing his head in vital moments and played a big hand in derailing a season because of drink driving and injuring his teammates. It wasn't so long ago many were calling for him to be sacked just like Keogh was but now we're all onboard making him captain?  It seems as fans that many are increasingly taking this approach of defending illogical things (such as wasting our time with Ravel Morrison) because they might somehow set off a spark and produce a genie out of the bottle but when looked at in the cold light of day don't make much sense. 

He must have photos of Wayne, either that or Shinnie made a pass at Colleen at the Christmas party. I get that we have limited choices but this is just not the logical best decision. Shinnie was POTY last season, exhibiting exactly the behaviours we need to have on the field next season - Tom is erratic, head strong and certainly does not enjoy the unanimous support of the fan base. Weird, and wrong, decision.

48 minutes ago, Duracell said:

Not really comparable - A captain of a football team is more of a 'first amongst equals' rather than a specific 'promotion' - The other players don't report in to him and he doesn't line manage them

I'd say it's more the equivalent of giving someone with potential but who hasn't previously delivered special projects or increased responsibility to deliver value - They sink or swim on their own merit based on their own performance, they don't influence or take down people around them - And this is a tactic I've seen employed on multiple occasions in the workplace