Captain Tom Lawrence

RoyMac5

On 22/07/2021 at 13:29, RadioactiveWaste said:

I think it's more "will it encourage Lawrence" than "Lawrence is the natural leader" - as many have said, there'll be those in the squad who are that person and will be that person no matter what.

Encourage him, he's had alot of help already, he should/needs to prove himself regular on the pitch and then see if he is a leader.... as much as I want Lawrence to succeed for us and to stick it to the boo boys,  putting him as leader could completely break him.. and with the situation with the whole club, he will be first to take all the flak... Good luck Tom,  you will need it to make it till end of the season 

23 minutes ago, Taribo said:

This decision still leaves me feeling a bit sick 

You may not rate him as a player, you may not think he has what it takes to be a leader but, making you feel sick, really? Feels like a bit of an overreaction.

If your feelings are a result of the Joiners incident - fair enough in the immediate aftermath but don’t you think it’s time to move on?

Edited by Tamworthram

2 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

You may not rate him as a player, you may. Not think he has what it takes to be a leader but, making you feel sick, really? Feels like a bit of an overreaction.

If your feelings are a result of the Joiners incident - fair enough in the immediate aftermath but don’t you think it’s time to move on?

Absolutely and we shouldn’t have the Joiners debate again but it does still stick in my craw - after all we sacked our club captain because of it.

Nothing I have seen from Tom on the pitch over the last 4 years has indicated he is a leader. His head goes down, he is petulant and, apart from berating the ref/moaning, he isn’t vocal. Smacks of a clueless Rooney. 

For me it is the pinnacle of the situation we’re in, threadbare squad, no money, embargo, tax bill, inexperienced manager/management team and we could really do with a player to rip up trees on the pitch for his teammates- from what I’ve seen- Tom isn’t that man.

55 minutes ago, Pearl Ram said:

Good for you Taribo, if he sickens you, he sickens you, I don’t feel you should have to justify your your feelings to anybody on here given that there appears to be a “I’m a better fan than you” competition going on here lately. ?

it's not a question of who is the better fan, it's just a query as what actually makes you feel sickened.

2 hours ago, Taribo said:

Absolutely and we shouldn’t have the Joiners debate again but it does still stick in my craw - after all we sacked our club captain because of it.

Nothing I have seen from Tom on the pitch over the last 4 years has indicated he is a leader. His head goes down, he is petulant and, apart from berating the ref/moaning, he isn’t vocal. Smacks of a clueless Rooney. 

For me it is the pinnacle of the situation we’re in, threadbare squad, no money, embargo, tax bill, inexperienced manager/management team and we could really do with a player to rip up trees on the pitch for his teammates- from what I’ve seen- Tom isn’t that man.

It just seems like a decision made by default - yes Lawrence now is one of the longest servers at the club but that shouldn't be a compelling case for giving someone the captain's armband.

I agree historically that he has set a very poor example on the pitch regardless of his escapades off it so can't see what qualities that Rooney can see in Lawrence to make him captain that have been overlooked by other people.

Anyhows that's me being more critical of Rooneys judgement than Lawrence as a leader. 

Ultimately Rooney lives or dies by his decisions so takes the kudos or blame accordingly.

3 hours ago, Taribo said:

wow , bet you hate christmas as well dont you

1 minute ago, OUTSIDER said:

“Tom is at an age and a period in his career now where he needs to step up. I believe giving him the armband will see him take on the responsibility and make sure he and the team do the right things.

quoted by Rooney 

Dignity, pride and flatulence!

Captain and penalty taker now.

Won’t knock him for today as it’s pre season, but I hope he doesn’t try that again in league games.

Call me boring and old fashioned but pick a corner and smash it, preferably a top corner. 

All the stutters and fancy stuff looks great when it goes in, but can also cost games and make you look very silly when it goes wrong.

2 hours ago, David said:

Captain and penalty taker now.

Won’t knock him for today as it’s pre season, but I hope he doesn’t try that again in league games.

Call me boring and old fashioned but pick a corner and smash it, preferably a top corner. 

All the stutters and fancy stuff looks great when it goes in, but can also cost games and make you look very silly when it goes wrong.

The Dean Saunders type. 

Lawrence needs to be sensible and not be a smart arse taking penalties. One f@ck up and the knives will be out 

Completely disagree. When a goalie is nervous he will dive one way or another. A penenka is a free goal in that circumstance. England might have been well served trying it.

Also, with the stutter it means that if you see the goalie move, you go the other way. Again a free goal.

Finally you are left with taking a penalty from one stride out. Basically you’re down to 50:50, If not better if you include a penenka as an option.

So you have a 2 in 3 chance of scoring, assuming you can put the ball in the corner of the net from a one step penalty.

Sure, you look a fool if you miss. But you’re playing the percentages and increasing your chances of scoring if you can take a penenka and are prepared to wait for the goalie to move.

Nice on Tom I say. Keep it up and keep playing those percentages.