Bristol City (H) - Match Thread

The key to this win I think was Adams and Ozoh in the double pivot. 

If I am not mistaken, it's only the 2nd game they have played together. They will get better and better as there understanding grows.

Keeping these two boys fit will be the key to the season.

They allow everyone around them to play.

12 minutes ago, therealhantsram said:

The key to this win I think was Adams and Ozoh in the double pivot. 

If I am not mistaken, it's only the 2nd game they have played together. They will get better and better as there understanding grows.

Keeping these two boys fit will be the key to the season.

They allow everyone around them to play.

Absolutely. 

With some of our midfielders in the past they weren't strong enough to play this role, or perhaps athletic enough, or creative enough to play further up. Ozoh and Adams are truly Square pegs for Square holes.

Just now, Old Spalding Ram said:

Pinched from the Bristol forum……………. just after we’d just gone 3-0 up.

This Derby side is absolutely awful as well and this isn't being bitter either, player for player we're better

……………………..discuss! 😁🏁

Assuming 'player for player' doesn't mean that not a single one of our players starts for them, then I'd agree. On paper, they have a better first XI than we do. And so they should, Scott Twine cost them more than our entire team. They made the most of our situation and got Bird and Knight for what were pretty good deals for them. They subbed off their £2.5mil striker for their £3mil striker. There's no excuse for why they should have lost 3-0 today, but we were the better team.

I think today is what Warne is working towards. It's not going to be like this every game, we will have poor games and probably take some beatings too. But if we can pull out more days like today and stay up this season, they we can build on what we have, and gradually we will have less work to do in each window, can focus on more specific areas of the team rather than needing to improve every area, and in a couple of years we can be in a position to eclipse teams like Bristol City.

The key thing is ensuring we finish 21st at very worst. Days like today give me a lot of confidence that we'll achieve that.

1 hour ago, Wistaston Ram said:

I enjoyed that. hard to pick out a MOM as everyone played their part including the fans. By contrast Bristol City made a bit of noise at the beginning, but seemed to be in stunned silence all of the second half. I was a little worried that Bird and Knight would come back to haunt us, but they looked a shadow of their former selves. Another beer or two are calling, enjoy your evening fellow rams.

I’d say they played exactly how I remember them, bird lightweight and knight runs all day with little end product. I like them both but neither were irreplaceable in my opinion. 

17 minutes ago, Old Spalding Ram said:

Pinched from the Bristol forum……………. just after we’d gone 3-0 up.

This Derby side is absolutely awful as well and this isn't being bitter either, player for player we're better

……………………..discuss! 😁🏁

Loosely translated "We had a good team on paper. Unfortunately, the game was played on grass."

13 minutes ago, Kernow said:

Assuming 'player for player' doesn't mean that not a single one of our players starts for them, then I'd agree. On paper, they have a better first XI than we do. And so they should, Scott Twine cost them more than our entire team. They made the most of our situation and got Bird and Knight for what were pretty good deals for them. They subbed off their £2.5mil striker for their £3mil striker. There's no excuse for why they should have lost 3-0 today, but we were the better team.

I think today is what Warne is working towards. It's not going to be like this every game, we will have poor games and probably take some beatings too. But if we can pull out more days like today and stay up this season, they we can build on what we have, and gradually we will have less work to do in each window, can focus on more specific areas of the team rather than needing to improve every area, and in a couple of years we can be in a position to eclipse teams like Bristol City.

The key thing is ensuring we finish 21st at very worst. Days like today give me a lot of confidence that we'll achieve that.

If Scott Twine could finish like he whinged he’d be worth more than our entire club 

Just to get the negativity out the way first - I’m so glad Scott Twine was on the losing side. Mardy bar steward that should have been booked for dissent.

Brilliant game today. Faultless. Nobody less than 8 out of 10. I can’t pick a MOTM - there were different ones in different phases of the match. Nelson and Zetterstrom with some excellent last ditch defending in the early stages, then the midfield three took over, Cashin and NML looked closer to their best, with Yates and Jackson being a threat all game. There were signs of the kinds of understandings we need to forge and some of the interplay was lovely.

The template for the rest of the season. We may not reach it every time, but it’s a benchmark. Paul Warne deserves a lot of credit.

1 hour ago, rammieib said:

What was the change? 

Kenzo mentioned it in his Radio Derby interview & I think Warne may have mentiomed it to. I think it was a slight adjustment in Kenzo & Ozoh in how/when they pressed forcing them to have to play around our midfield rather than through it & it paid off

Just got off the world’s sweatiest train. 
The only Derby fan on his way back to Bristol. Two and a half hours standing toe to toe gives you plenty of time to discuss the game.

They all agreed we bossed it and that Ozoh was different gravy. After a shaky start to his Derby career today he looked like a young Patrick Vieira.

Plaudits too for the whole defence, especially the full backs and to Adams for being everywhere.

The best game I’ve seen at Pride Park for many years. 

That performance was the best I have seen from a Derby side for a long time. They worked hard, passed to each other along the grass when they could and were mostly calm in defence. David Ozoh was a giant in midfield. Kenzo showed great skill and passing and Jacob in goals is a big plus. 
All we need now is consistency. The players looked like they were enjoying it and the crowd certainly were.