Vs Middlesbrough (H) Match Thread

DCFC1388

A few post-match thoughts...

MOTM, Josh Vickers by a mile. New keeper coming in? Sulking? Not feckin likely. Bravo Josh, that's how a player should respond. I've got all kinds of respect for that. 

Elder - seems the lad can defend a bit after all. I had Fozzy down to start, but I thought Callum was pretty damn decent today.

Our Defense - Much, much improved and against a team who I feel certain will challenge this season, we stood firm and for the most part, left Boro taking potshots form 25 metres out.

Ozoh - still struggling a little with the pace and ferocity of games. I hope folk will stay off his back and give him time, but at the same time, if Ebou is fit to play 90 then he starts for me.

Boro - boy do they have some scary attacking options. Even their bench was terrifying. That's the kind of quality we face now and today we held firm enough.

Boro Fans - There's only one Stevie Gibson, one Stevie Gibson... Yes and he's the runt of the litter. The rest were rightly drowned at birth.

Our Fans - fookin epic

Worst Team blah, feckin blah - If that's the case then I'm a Dutchman. Schmoke and a pancake anyone?

COYR

DTID

A very very well deserved 3 points. 

Hardly a vintage attacking performance but Middlesbrough will be right up there come the end of the season and will make better sides than us look shabby.

The team spirit throughout the club since we went down is incredible. Great defensive shape and everyone working their bums off. Fight to the end and all that. 

COYR

1 minute ago, maxjam said:

Do Amazon sell blood pressure meds...

GVL-da-W4AEl4pP.jpg.bba46b62a675f1d887f6720b19e70966.jpg

The shots on target stat is quite helpful here - it highlights the facts that Boro were pushed to take a lot of long shots as we were compact at the back. They didn't create many "great" chances, in my opinion but got into good areas to take a pot shot. 

2 minutes ago, Andicis said:

Something we do need to look at is our ball retention. When we're under pressure in a game like today, we absolutely must look after the ball better. We looked devoid of any ambition to keep the ball in the second half. We got away with it today, but it's an area that needs improvement.

Once Cashin went off we reverted to long ball as Bradley isnt competent enough to recieve the ball off the keeper. Once long goal kicks started it was always backs to the wall as we 90% of the time give the ball away. Up to Cashin going off we were good and neat in posession. UTR

I didn't give them a chance of winning today and I was sad to predict a 0 - 2 loss, but that's how I saw it this morning.

Despite being the underdogs statistically, they pulled off a win which should be a huge boost to their confidence and their belief that they can survive in this league.

So much effort, grit and determination shown by the team and so much support from the fans who helped the team play on another level.

So much work still to be done but after that amazing display of dogged determination I'm feeling more confident that we have a team capable of staying up. COYR!!

8 minutes ago, Comrade 86 said:

A few post-match thoughts...

MOTM, Josh Vickers by a mile. New keeper coming in? Sulking? Not feckin likely. Bravo Josh, that's how a player should respond. I've got all kinds of respect for that. 

Elder - seems the lad can defend a bit after all. I had Fozzy down to start, but I thought Callum was pretty damn decent today.

Our Defense - Much, much improved and against a team who I feel certain will challenge this season, we stood firm and for the most part, left Boro taking potshots form 25 metres out.

Ozoh - still struggling a little with the pace and ferocity of games. I hope folk will stay off his back and give him time, but at the same time, if Ebou is fit to play 90 then he starts for me.

Boro - boy do they have some scary attacking options. Even their bench was terrifying. That's the kind of quality we face now and today we held firm enough.

Boro Fans - There's only one Stevie Gibson, one Stevie Gibson... Yes and he's the runt of the litter. The rest were rightly drowned at birth.

Our Fans - fookin epic

Worst Team blah, feckin blah - If that's the case then I'm a Dutchman. Schmoke and a pancake anyone?

COYR

DTID

Ozoh struggling? Saw a different player to me. Thought he was immense and not fazed at all. Great win and what a battle. Loved it.

10 minutes ago, Old Spalding Ram said:

I’ll whisper this quietly because you never know who’s listening!

………………………..I thought Bradley played well. 👍🏁

Absolutely. Hats off to him today.

Have to think that games where we're under the cosh like today will suit him better than last season when we were having 70% possession against teams that were camped back in their own half. Think he'd rather be defending than seeing a lot of the ball and being asked to start attacks