Match Thread: Carlisle United (h)

1 hour ago, VulcanRam said:

With respect I'll be saving all this for when, or if, we ever get promoted to the Premier League. Or win the FA Cup. Something that really signifies over-achievement or something truly special. I don't think this is it.

Don't get me wrong, I'll be delighted come 5pm when we're out of this lousy league but we're only going back to where we should always have been except with a poorer squad and - from what I've seen this season of the Championship - a higher standard of football generally than when we were last in it.

We should never have been docked 21 points imo, and never have been relegated. But we were, and massive well done to Paul Warne and the players for getting us out after two seasons. With the squad we have we should be challenging at the top of the table. I went to the end of season awards last night and it was great to have such a positive vibe in the room.

But, in my humble opinion, it's not worth some of the overly emotive stuff I've read on this forum in the last few days. 

Who knows who will be around when we reach the prem again or win a cup. These last few years have shown that you have to appreciate these possible moments.

The bench could be insanely strong this weekend 

Presuming we go with the same lineup as last week 

what 6 would you pick along with a goalie for the bench between 

- Elder, Forsyth

- Fornah, Bird, Hourihane 

- CBT, John Jules 

- Washington, Waghorn, Gayle 

presuming Gayle, Jj and Fozzy all are available for selection. 

Think you’d have to have Fozzy on the bench for his send off + he’s better suited to cover centre back 

Id go with Vickers, Forsyth, Bird, Hourihane, CBT, Gayle, Waghorn

2 hours ago, VulcanRam said:

With respect I'll be saving all this for when, or if, we ever get promoted to the Premier League. Or win the FA Cup. Something that really signifies over-achievement or something truly special. I don't think this is it.

Don't get me wrong, I'll be delighted come 5pm when we're out of this lousy league but we're only going back to where we should always have been except with a poorer squad and - from what I've seen this season of the Championship - a higher standard of football generally than when we were last in it.

We should never have been docked 21 points imo, and never have been relegated. But we were, and massive well done to Paul Warne and the players for getting us out after two seasons. With the squad we have we should be challenging at the top of the table. I went to the end of season awards last night and it was great to have such a positive vibe in the room.

But, in my humble opinion, it's not worth some of the overly emotive stuff I've read on this forum in the last few days. 

I wouldn’t hold your breath for winning the FA Cup, I reckon the top half a dozen or so teams have got that pretty much sewn up despite their lack of interest in the earlier rounds. I also don’t think we’ll be back in the Premier League anytime soon.

For me it’s not just a case of celebrating any kind of achievement whilst you can but also a sense of relieve being back to where we belong. I guess some people will just politely applaud, as they may have done if we’d been able to attend the game when we narrowly escaped relegation (it could be argued that avoiding relegation is nothing to celebrate but, it’s the same, - it was an achievement of sorts and a sense of relief - albeit only short lived) but I’ll be cheering and applauding with vigour if we make it on Saturday.

58 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

I wouldn’t hold your breath for winning the FA Cup, I reckon the top half a dozen or so teams have got that pretty much sewn up despite their lack of interest in the earlier rounds. I also don’t think we’ll be back in the Premier League anytime soon.

For me it’s not just a case of celebrating any kind of achievement whilst you can but also a sense of relieve being back to where we belong. I guess some people will just politely applaud, as they may have done if we’d been able to attend the game when we narrowly escaped relegation (it could be argued that avoiding relegation is nothing to celebrate but, it’s the same, - it was an achievement of sorts and a sense of relief - albeit only short lived) but I’ll be cheering and applauding with vigour if we make it on Saturday.

Coventry coming within a toenail of reaching the FA Cup final gives us all hope that with a bit or a lot of luck, one day we could make the final, then who knows what could happen in a one off game?

I was tempted to wager £100 pounds on Bolton getting the automatic promotion slot at the odds of of 100-1, but I've resisted temptation. I'd rather Derby were promoted than have ten thousand pounds in my bank account. That's the heart ruling the head.

2 hours ago, Comrade 86 said:

I must be easily pleased, as I'll be celebrating like a mad thing if we clinch promotion on Saturday and right now I couldn't care less about Premier League football.

Me too, just checking out the time of the last train back to Crewe on Saturday. 

3 hours ago, Tamworthram said:

Mate, so will I, and to be fair to @Carl Sagan I probably picked on the wrong post. But some of the "tear in my eye" and "spirit of 75" stuff is a tad over the top imo. I guess @Premier ram has me banged to rights. Bah humbug!

2 hours ago, Comrade 86 said:

I must be easily pleased, as I'll be celebrating like a mad thing if we clinch promotion on Saturday and right now I couldn't care less about Premier League football.

Fair point, and I'm with you and @Mucker1884 on that. It was probably just to illustrate the point. I always felt when we were at the top of the Championship it was the best place to be - I always felt to win it and not go up (but get some cash) would be ideal. But I suppose that's a stupid point of view because it kind of defeats the objective. 

Genuinely had a nightmare last night and we lost 3-1 with Bolton overtaking us In it. Also remember my friends running away from me round PP and I couldn't find them or my seat (missed out on a ticket so could explain that part, if anyone has one come up be a diamond 😂)

I expect he will go with the same 11 again.

I hope he doesn’t.

Why… because we have scorers and decent attacking players who offer more than the players on the pitch. We don’t need to be defensive at home to the bottom of the league.

Take Bradley and Tommo out and put in CBT and Bird.

4-2-3-1.

He won’t though, we’ll still play five defender and three centre mids.

1 hour ago, VulcanRam said:

Fair point, and I'm with you and @Mucker1884 on that. It was probably just to illustrate the point. I always felt when we were at the top of the Championship it was the best place to be - I always felt to win it and not go up (but get some cash) would be ideal. But I suppose that's a stupid point of view because it kind of defeats the objective. 

I’m with you on not going up even if you win the Championship. It would probably price me out of attending and there is no chance of a Club like Derby winning the Prem (I know Leicester did, somehow the stars aligned for them). If the Prem League broke away I’d gladly say good riddance. Any supporter of clubs like Sheff Utd, Forest even Leeds I’ve spoken to enjoy the Championship much more.

Anyway I’m really up for Saturday can’t wait and I’ll be celebrating like mad because Derby are back!

7 hours ago, VulcanRam said:

Speak for yourself. I’ll be smashing jaegerbombs as if my life depends on it.