Match Thread: Carlisle United (h)

Just so you know, it ain't cool to bear grudges.  It ain't mature to swear in public.  It ain't uplifting to dwell on previous negatives.  It is not sagacious to disrespect the hierarchy.  

But come Saturday, from 90:00 and throughout the additional minutes... with the resuscitated Rams on the verge of a new life... throw all that in the bin, and let's give 'em the rousiest, passionest, Black & Whitest, most heartfeltest rendition of "They docked us 21 points..." British football has ever... EVER... witnessed.

To hell with dignity!  🐏

Gonna be interesting on the pitch at the end of the game (irrespective of the  result) as there will be many ‘goodbyes’ to the crowd…. Max leaving, Ebou last game (and possibly no return), lot’s of out of contract players who will know they won’t be offered new deals (Hourihane, Waggy, Smith etc).

Emotional times.

4 minutes ago, CapeTownRams said:

Gonna be interesting on the pitch at the end of the game (irrespective of the  result) as there will be many ‘goodbyes’ to the crowd…. Max leaving, Ebou last game (and possibly no return), lot’s of out of contract players who will know they won’t be offered new deals (Hourihane, Waggy, Smith etc).

Emotional times.

Think they may have to tweet their goodbyes after tea, mate.  There's an illegal pitch invasion afoot, from what I'm reading!  👀 

2 hours ago, DavesaRam said:

The promise of someone being played in their best position?

What central midfield? Where does he get played then?

It’s not like he was treated like Knight for example out at fullback and all sorts. 

1 hour ago, Carl Sagan said:

After 45 games it all comes down to this. Us or Bolton? The Rams the red hot favourites, with the best defence in the division playing the team bottom and long-since relegated. And needing only a draw. You can see why the bookies have us 1000/1 on but as a Derby fan I'm still nervous and feel it's going to be a long week.

Thrilled to be there. Will be thinking of Daniel who I never met, but who I exchanged posts with on this forum, and whose calls to arms I always loved. Will be remembering being at the BBG 49 years earlier to see the Rams lift the First Division title against Carlisle. Am with some of the same friends who came to the Derby Crystal Palace game with me, and we recreated Robbie van der Laan's header with on the pitch afterwards. Will be remembering the time Stephen Pearson scored his goal to send us into delirium at Wembley.

Will be thanking David Clowes for saving our club when all seemed lost. Darkest before the dawn. He deserves a fantastic day in which, yet again, and for only the third time in our history, Derby lift themselves out of the third tier after a two-season stint. But we have to do it first. Let's hope the players keep their eyes on the prize, backed all the way by long-suffering fans who do deserve some joy after the last few years.

Come on you Rams!

B4 would be proud of you! 

For those of a nervous disposition regards Saturday………here’s some chill medicine! 👍😁

Review of the match, pinched from the Carlisle forum.

Derby need a point for promotion and this can do funny things to you mentally. However, some pointers which may settle them down somewhat. There is staggering 69 point gap between the sides. They’re +78 ahead of us on goal difference. Home record for Derby, played 22, won 14, drawn 4, lost 4 – scored 39, conceded 18. Two of those home defeats came in August against Wigan and Oxford. They also lost against Peterborough on New Year’s Day and Charlton at the end of February – but since then have won their last five home games.

Last but not least, we have a Derby legend running our team. He has more appearances for the Rams and scored more goals than for any other club. Is he really going to be trying to win this fixture and potentially deny them promotion? Hmm…

Derby’s a decent away day, so those of you lucky enough to be in attendance - please take a second to take it all in, it may be a very long time before we “enjoy” a Saturday afternoon fixture in the sun at ground and club like this again, so make the most of it.

…………..all seems fair comment to me. 👍

Edited by Old Spalding Ram

35 minutes ago, Old Spalding Ram said:

For those of a nervous disposition regards Saturday………here’s some chill medicine! 👍😁

Review of the match, pinched from the Carlisle forum.

Derby need a point for promotion and this can do funny things to you mentally. However, some pointers which may settle them down somewhat. There is staggering 69 point gap between the sides. They’re +78 ahead of us on goal difference. Home record for Derby, played 22, won 14, drawn 4, lost 4 – scored 39, conceded 18. Two of those home defeats came in August against Wigan and Oxford. They also lost against Peterborough on New Year’s Day and Charlton at the end of February – but since then have won their last five home games.

Last but not least, we have a Derby legend running our team. He has more appearances for the Rams and scored more goals than for any other club. Is he really going to be trying to win this fixture and potentially deny them promotion? Hmm…

Derby’s a decent away day, so those of you lucky enough to be in attendance - please take a second to take it all in, it may be a very long time before we “enjoy” a Saturday afternoon fixture in the sun at ground and club like this again, so make the most of it.

…………..all seems fair comment to me. 👍

A very balanced view from the other side 🐏

1 hour ago, McMuffin said:

What central midfield? Where does he get played then?

It’s not like he was treated like Knight for example out at fullback and all sorts. 

At the time he was part of a 2 man midfield that was either bring completely ignored, or asked either to pass it out to the full back or winger, or boot it has hard  and high is you can. Very little of his prowess was being used. At the time he was being asked, no told to play in a completely alien way that was a waste of his ability. Why not go to a club that was known for playing people to their strengths?

35 minutes ago, DavesaRam said:

At the time he was part of a 2 man midfield that was either bring completely ignored, or asked either to pass it out to the full back or winger, or boot it has hard  and high is you can. Very little of his prowess was being used. At the time he was being asked, no told to play in a completely alien way that was a waste of his ability. Why not go to a club that was known for playing people to their strengths?

Where is your evidence for the statements you have made? Give me one shread of evidence that he has been told to do the things you mention. I would suggest this is just another of your imaginative thoughts!

Bird himself praised Warne for the amount of time he has spent with him to improve his goal scoring and output. Just ridiculous comments.

3 hours ago, Carl Sagan said:

After 45 games it all comes down to this. Us or Bolton? The Rams the red hot favourites, with the best defence in the division playing the team bottom and long-since relegated. And needing only a draw. You can see why the bookies have us 1000/1 on but as a Derby fan I'm still nervous and feel it's going to be a long week.

Thrilled to be there. Will be thinking of Daniel who I never met, but who I exchanged posts with on this forum, and whose calls to arms I always loved. Will be remembering being at the BBG 49 years earlier to see the Rams lift the First Division title against Carlisle. Am with some of the same friends who came to the Derby Crystal Palace game with me, and we recreated Robbie van der Laan's header with on the pitch afterwards. Will be remembering the time Stephen Pearson scored his goal to send us into delirium at Wembley.

Will be thanking David Clowes for saving our club when all seemed lost. Darkest before the dawn. He deserves a fantastic day in which, yet again, and for only the third time in our history, Derby lift themselves out of the third tier after a two-season stint. But we have to do it first. Let's hope the players keep their eyes on the prize, backed all the way by long-suffering fans who do deserve some joy after the last few years.

Come on you Rams!

With respect I'll be saving all this for when, or if, we ever get promoted to the Premier League. Or win the FA Cup. Something that really signifies over-achievement or something truly special. I don't think this is it.

Don't get me wrong, I'll be delighted come 5pm when we're out of this lousy league but we're only going back to where we should always have been except with a poorer squad and - from what I've seen this season of the Championship - a higher standard of football generally than when we were last in it.

We should never have been docked 21 points imo, and never have been relegated. But we were, and massive well done to Paul Warne and the players for getting us out after two seasons. With the squad we have we should be challenging at the top of the table. I went to the end of season awards last night and it was great to have such a positive vibe in the room.

But, in my humble opinion, it's not worth some of the overly emotive stuff I've read on this forum in the last few days. 

35 minutes ago, VulcanRam said:

With respect I'll be saving all this for when, or if, we ever get promoted to the Premier League. Or win the FA Cup. Something that really signifies over-achievement or something truly special. I don't think this is it.

Don't get me wrong, I'll be delighted come 5pm when we're out of this lousy league but we're only going back to where we should always have been except with a poorer squad and - from what I've seen this season of the Championship - a higher standard of football generally than when we were last in it.

We should never have been docked 21 points imo, and never have been relegated. But we were, and massive well done to Paul Warne and the players for getting us out after two seasons. With the squad we have we should be challenging at the top of the table. I went to the end of season awards last night and it was great to have such a positive vibe in the room.

But, in my humble opinion, it's not worth some of the overly emotive stuff I've read on this forum in the last few days. 

Michael Caine Christmas GIF by Sky

57 minutes ago, VulcanRam said:

I'm embarrassed to be in League One and can see where you're coming from. But given the league tried to drive us out of existence, and almost succeeded, if we do return to the Championship I will celebrate it. And hope we can right on through to the top tier. 

Absolutely buzzing for Saturday , let’s make the atmosphere electric , let’s roar the boys on to promotion , let’s show our heartfelt thanks to David Clowes , let’s be as one the Black and White Army 

The rebirth of our beloved club has begun 

Believe ladies and gentlemen 

The Rams are on the way back

5 hours ago, sage said:

Christ I knew Canada was a bit behind the times, but surely Anno Domini has reached there by now.

B.C.- Brian Clough, a bit above Christ

19 minutes ago, Premier ram said:

Absolutely buzzing for Saturday , let’s make the atmosphere electric , let’s roar the boys on to promotion , let’s show our heartfelt thanks to David Clowes , let’s be as one the Black and White Army 

The rebirth of our beloved club has begun 

Believe ladies and gentlemen 

The Rams are on the way back