Peterborough vs Bolton

Assuming Peterborough win in the week, what a stinker of a game for both clubs last game.

Both would have a chance of top 2, albeit a slim one.

Both would know realistically that Derby should be beating Carlise and both would have an eye on the playoffs.  Neither would want to risk losing key players to injuries or suspension going hell for leather for a slim chance of automatics.

This surely is our time.

Edited by MackworthRamIsGod

We really need Peterborough to win mid-week to take this game seriously. We saw Oxford turn them over 5-0 and they’ve conceded 56 goals this season so they’ve got a problem keeping the ball out the net, I wouldn’t fancy them keeping the score down if they rest players against Bolton. Bolton really only need to win by three goals as they have the goal scored tiebreaker (should we lose). 

It helps the League One play-offs starts the following Friday (3rd placed) so you’d imagine that it will be situational based on their result, our result. If I’m Warne, I’m tempted to play the low block, keep things tight and hit Carlisle on the counter. Starve them of opportunities. Ultimately we only need a point and it makes no odds to Carlisle so we could play it out, slow the game right down. They’ve lost 16 of their last 21 games (2024 record). It’s been a limp finish from them. Give them a way out of getting a draw to end the season, don’t force the issue and give them an opportunity, just play it around and keep them at arms length. If they want to commit players then hit them on the counter, otherwise I would see if they would like a point and an unbeaten finish to the season.

Carlisle's results against the better sides are far better than those nearer the arse end where they've been bobbins. Won at Bolton, drew twice with Stevenage, win and draw against Peterborough, only lost by one at Portsmouth home and away.  Need to play better than we did second half as they'll be loving a trip to Pride Park before they head to Hades in August.  I feel we really need to push for a win.  Only the best sides can want a draw and play for it.  It takes a level of calculated ball retention we do not have.

7 hours ago, Ambitious said:

We really need Peterborough to win mid-week to take this game seriously. We saw Oxford turn them over 5-0 and they’ve conceded 56 goals this season so they’ve got a problem keeping the ball out the net, I wouldn’t fancy them keeping the score down if they rest players against Bolton. Bolton really only need to win by three goals as they have the goal scored tiebreaker (should we lose). 

It helps the League One play-offs starts the following Friday (3rd placed) so you’d imagine that it will be situational based on their result, our result. If I’m Warne, I’m tempted to play the low block, keep things tight and hit Carlisle on the counter. Starve them of opportunities. Ultimately we only need a point and it makes no odds to Carlisle so we could play it out, slow the game right down. They’ve lost 16 of their last 21 games (2024 record). It’s been a limp finish from them. Give them a way out of getting a draw to end the season, don’t force the issue and give them an opportunity, just play it around and keep them at arms length. If they want to commit players then hit them on the counter, otherwise I would see if they would like a point and an unbeaten finish to the season.

The problem with offering opponents the opportunity to take a draw is that football is full of cheats, and nobody can be trusted. 
No disrespect to Carlisle specifically, or indeed their much respected manager, but they'd probably nick a winner in the dying moments, then point and laugh at us!
Kill em off early I say.  Win, win, and thrice win!

Both Peterborough and Bolton will not take any risks with players carrying any kind of knocks next weekend but - assuming Posh win in midweek - they’ll go all out attack with teams they put out. It’s an absolute free hit for them as they are each assured of a top four finish and therefore a home second leg in the playoffs. 

8 hours ago, Ambitious said:

In theory but its us. 

Great result and whilst the performance second half was a bit dire in general the effort and desire of the players was superb. Just check their faces at the final whistle- they were knackered and relieved.

I expect Bolton to beat Posh and as we have seen sometimes this season, when the latter lose they can sometimes lose big. If we take this as job done already then we are fools. Carlisle are bringing a (for them) massive 2,000 to Pride Park and they are going to try and put on one last performance and claim one big scalp in the process. If we relax and they score and Bolton are also winning then that GD-winning thread is suddenly looking very thin and fragile.

We need focus in this game and once again an early goal to settle things down. I say we go at them first half to try and put the game to bed early. I don’t want to see us trying to play out a draw. It’s just too risky.

You can almost taste it- but we need one last push from the team and fans.

COYR 🐏🐏

Carlisle have been relegated for about 3 weeks. They are bottom of the overall table, bottom of the home table, bottom of the away table. Their form over the last 6 games has them 22nd, so maybe a *slight* improvement.

They’ve conceded 5 more than any other side, although 4 sides have scored fewer than them so perhaps they can be considered sharp shooters.

Peterborough being level with Bolton on the final day would be preferred, although unless they win in midweek by 5 or 6 they’re not really going to have any chance so the impetus is on Bolton.

Away from home against the rest of the top 8 (teams that can still get promoted this season), they’ve scored 4.  They’ve only won one of those games, which against Lincoln before they signed Joe Taylor and hit form. Funnily enough, Carlisle have actually scored more away to promotion hopefuls than Bolton have.

A lot of things that haven’t happened all season are going to have to coincide for us to finish outside the top 2, and if that does happen it’ll be nothing short of the biggest capitulation we’ve ever been involved in.

Over the last 10 games, we’ve won 7 so have proven that we can get things done when we need to and I don’t see it being any different on Saturday, I just have more confidence in this Derby team to have the right mental strength than I have before.

35 minutes ago, CapeTownRams said:

Great result and whilst the performance second half was a bit dire in general the effort and desire of the players was superb. Just check their faces at the final whistle- they were knackered and relieved.

I expect Bolton to beat Posh and as we have seen sometimes this season, when the latter lose they can sometimes lose big. If we take this as job done already then we are fools. Carlisle are bringing a (for them) massive 2,000 to Pride Park and they are going to try and put on one last performance and claim one big scalp in the process. If we relax and they score and Bolton are also winning then that GD-winning thread is suddenly looking very thin and fragile.

We need focus in this game and once again an early goal to settle things down. I say we go at them first half to try and put the game to bed early. I don’t want to see us trying to play out a draw. It’s just too risky.

You can almost taste it- but we need one last push from the team and fans.

COYR 🐏🐏

Totally agree.

This game is to Carlisle fans what Blackpool was to us... and look what a highly enjoyable day that was, despite the circumstances!
We do not want to see them jumping around the away end, celebrating their relegation with a last day bonus win, on their big day out!

I really don't think we will even come close to relying on this match but really neither side will want to lose this game. I can see the second half of this match to be a pre-season game with key players of both sides being subbed off to rest legs and it just petering out to a 1-1 and tough handshakes at the end saying to each other 'see you at Wembley'.

Edited by eddielewis

D Ferguson spoke after Poshs game yesterday and sounded resigned to the playoffs. What a manager says and what they think can obviously be different things, but it also suggests they may at least rest players.

As others have said, let’s see us win the game first. The fallback is that if we only draw then at least we’re still up. You don’t go into any game preparing for a defeat.

Remember when we only needed a draw at home against reading for the play offs. This is Derby county, anything can happen. 

mind you, do you remember that season where Forest were safe in the play offs unless there was a 6 goal swing from Stoke or someone. That was a good day. Watching goal after goal after goal go in from Stoke. Let’s not give Forest fans a good day like that.