Paul Warne

Day

1 hour ago, Van der MoodHoover said:

I'm hoping for progression insofar as building a squad that won't need such a large turnover at the end of next season.

League placing secondary or even thirdly behind developing the style of play as well.

Provided we don't get relegated.

Not so sure about this midtable expectation. There's a lot of decent managers playing progressive football in the Championship right now. I do worry we'll be left behind a little bit.

Hopefully, our more "old school" style will shake them up.

3 hours ago, tomsdubs said:

Interesting to hear him say he's flying over to Denmark and Netherlands to watch some players, think we need to be a bit more dynamic next season to get results. Genuinely intrigued to see what kinds of players he signs.

No,no idea either!

IMG_4818.jpeg

2 hours ago, Jimbo Ram said:

Thanks for clarifying….thought it was your neighbour 😉

He is more or less. He's originally from the town where I live. I've chatted with him via WhatsApp quite often when he first signed for us. I've only actually met him once, just before the relegation season and we were desperate for players. He said that he had spoken to McClarren about going back if needed, but was told that we weren't allowed to sign him. I don't know if that was true or if he had been fobbed off. Whatever people think of him as a player, and I honestly don't think that he was as bad as some make out (I remember him being selected as MOTM on here a couple of times), but he is a very down to earth person who I think had a lot of bad luck with us. It would have helped if he had remembered his insoles mind.

4 minutes ago, richinspain said:

He is more or less. He's originally from the town where I live. I've chatted with him via WhatsApp quite often when he first signed for us. I've only actually met him once, just before the relegation season and we were desperate for players. He said that he had spoken to McClarren about going back if needed, but was told that we weren't allowed to sign him. I don't know if that was true or if he had been fobbed off. Whatever people think of him as a player, and I honestly don't think that he was as bad as some make out (I remember him being selected as MOTM on here a couple of times), but he is a very down to earth person who I think had a lot of bad luck with us. It would have helped if he had remembered his insoles mind.

From memory he had 1 half decent game.

May have been reasons behind it but he was completely and utterly dreadful.

2 hours ago, G STAR RAM said:

From memory he had 1 half decent game.

May have been reasons behind it but he was completely and utterly dreadful.

I think the Keogh clique closed ranks and he couldn't integrate or settle. He did a good job with a small team in La Liga for several seasons, so he wasn't dreadful in Spain.

Posted (edited)
47 minutes ago, Crewton said:

I think the Keogh clique closed ranks and he couldn't integrate or settle. He did a good job with a small team in La Liga for several seasons, so he wasn't dreadful in Spain.

Spot on.  The Reading game where we lost 3-0 , he came out to block, Keogh screamed it was his and went sliding along the area, bloke skips round him with ease and poor old Albentosa basically has to stand on the line as the balls smashed past him  . Cue temper tantrum and much screaming from Keogh in his face.  Think I'd have clobbered him.

Pretty sure he did well with Malaga and Deportivo afterward so he was certainly a better player than we saw.  

Edited by Gee SCREAMER !!

6 hours ago, Crewton said:

Never seen him play in Spain so can't comment, plus I imagine the game in Spain is quite different to The Championship. 

Nick Blackman was good at Reading, doesn't change the fact he was awful he!

7 hours ago, Crewton said:

Maybe true but I find it quite difficult to come to terms with the idea that a player, and his “clique” chose alienate and isolate another player. I suspect it’s not desperately unusual for a player to struggle to settle in a foreign country but I imagine it’s very rarely down to a senior player at the club orchestrating his isolation. I also don’t think the one incident (which may not have had any malice to it at all) offered by @Gee SCREAMER !! is sufficient evidence. I guess I’m wrong. It wouldn’t be the first time.

13 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

Maybe true but I find it quite difficult to come to terms with the idea that a player, and his “clique” chose alienate and isolate another player. I suspect it’s not desperately unusual for a player to struggle to settle in a foreign country but I imagine it’s very rarely down to a senior player at the club orchestrating his isolation. I also don’t think the one incident (which may not have had any malice to it at all) offered by @Gee SCREAMER !! is sufficient evidence. I guess I’m wrong. It wouldn’t be the first time.

Confirmed from those who are/were in and around players pre and post-match at that time, there was a definite in-crowd, with a cruel streak towards those who didn't "fit".

Most thought it was Keogh's way, or the highway. 

Improvement in team morale and togetherness was apparent after he left, although some of this grew out of the tough times we found ourselves in by then. 

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, angieram said:

Confirmed from those who are/were in and around players pre and post-match at that time, there was a definite in-crowd, with a cruel streak towards those who didn't "fit".

Improvement in team morale and togetherness was apparent after he left, although some of this grew out of the tough times we found ourselves in by then. 

I'm aware of one player who left around 2017 who described the place as 'toxic'

Edited by sage

5 minutes ago, angieram said:

Fair enough

Ah, the great Richard Keogh.

I remember being ridiculed here when I said he doesn't look much of a captain to me. He was blaming others for his own mistakes, mostly Bogle, maybe because he was an easy target as a teenager. Blaming others is not a sign of leadership or being an accountable adult, never mind a captain. I don't want to piss off our supporters so I left it there, but in hindsight, you could say, there's a difference between blind support and support. What we are witnessing with the notts forest is blind support and I wish we never get there again.

Later we learned that being accountable is hardly his strength off the pitch either. With that night out he also showed how bad example and guidance he gave to younger players.

Just reflect on it a bit: Keogh whining and mutinying to Morris about Pearson. It's all just pure toxicity and such persons shouldn't be close to our team ever again. Big thank you for Clowes and his recruitment. No wonder I kept losing my love for the game.

Keogh was a decent Championship footballer though. Shame he wasn't much of an adult. Maybe as a pensioner, he can grow up now.

1 hour ago, Dimmu said:

Ah, the great Richard Keogh.

I remember being ridiculed here when I said he doesn't look much of a captain to me. He was blaming others for his own mistakes, mostly Bogle, maybe because he was an easy target as a teenager. Blaming others is not a sign of leadership or being an accountable adult, never mind a captain. I don't want to piss off our supporters so I left it there, but in hindsight, you could say, there's a difference between blind support and support. What we are witnessing with the notts forest is blind support and I wish we never get there again.

Later we learned that being accountable is hardly his strength off the pitch either. With that night out he also showed how bad example and guidance he gave to younger players.

Just reflect on it a bit: Keogh whining and mutinying to Morris about Pearson. It's all just pure toxicity and such persons shouldn't be close to our team ever again. Big thank you for Clowes and his recruitment. No wonder I kept losing my love for the game.

Keogh was a decent Championship footballer though. Shame he wasn't much of an adult. Maybe as a pensioner, he can grow up now.

Not even close to being the most off-topic post in this forum! 😄 

Obviously, the place for this would've been elsewhere. I posted earlier that attention to detail is Warne's and his team's strength but also I can reveal that it wasn't my key strength as a football manager. 🙂 

3 hours ago, sage said:

I'm aware of one player who left around 2017 who described the place as 'toxic'

Which player was it? Surely 7 years down the line, naming them won't be an issue?