Dear Richie Barker

ziggazagga

My son and I travel home and away at great expense to support this team. I am not and never will be 'outside noise ' . You should be grateful we care enough to have an opinion of your hopeless coaching ability, trying to play a style that was fit for the 80s.  Never take this club nor the supporters for granted whilst you leach off our backs getting very well paid for a substandard job

4 minutes ago, jimtastic56 said:

Eric Steele said the other night that Barker did most of the coaching and he does most of the enforcing on the touchline . I have not heard why he did the post -match interview.

Many previous managers have done this, sending out their deputies but only when the team has won. Cloughie did it with Garner. Warne fronted up after the disappointing Cambridge, Shrewsbury & Cheltenham games so no great surprise he got Barker to come out on Tuesday.

28 minutes ago, ziggazagga said:

My son and I travel home and away at great expense to support this team. I am not and never will be 'outside noise ' . You should be grateful we care enough to have an opinion of your hopeless coaching ability, trying to play a style that was fit for the 80s.  Never take this club nor the supporters for granted whilst you leach off our backs getting very well paid for a substandard job

Edited by Tamworthram

8 minutes ago, cool_as_custard said:

Many previous managers have done this, sending out their deputies but only when the team has won. Cloughie did it with Garner. Warne fronted up after the disappointing Cambridge, Shrewsbury & Cheltenham games so no great surprise he got Barker to come out on Tuesday.

Yeah - it's seen as "staff training" to sometimes get your assistants to do media. Especially if they have ambitions to manage themselves. There is more to being a manager than just coaching. Media is one thing. Putting up with hysterical fans demanding you get sacked because you didn't win a football match is another 😂

1 minute ago, Tamworthram said:

I admire you and your son for spending the time and money to travel to home and away matches but don’t really admire this post. I doubt he is grateful for you describing his coaching ability as “hopeless” or performing a “sub standard job”, I’m sure there is a more mature way you could have communicated your disapproval and disappointment. I doubt he is taking the club or its supporters for granted and he’s not “leaching off our backs”. He is being well paid for doing a job presumably to the best of his ability. DC will decide ultimately if that is good enough or not.

In short, I applaud your passion and support your right to speak your mind but feel you’ve let yourself down a little with the way you have expressed your views. Perhaps I have spent enough of my career performance managing other people to know there are more effective and professional ways to alert others to their deficiencies. I suspect (and hope) that if you were actually having a conversation with Barker you’d express your views a little differently which would make your post a classic example of a keyboard warrior.

Pompous. This is a football forum not a management training course.

2 minutes ago, DRBee said:

Pompous. This is a football forum not a management training course.

I have deleted my comments not because I have changed my opinion but simply because I have realised it’s just not a fight worth getting into. A realisation I wish I had taken a bit more often. Life is too short.

5 minutes ago, Stive Pesley said:

Yeah - it's seen as "staff training" to sometimes get your assistants to do media. Especially if they have ambitions to manage themselves. There is more to being a manager than just coaching. Media is one thing. Putting up with hysterical fans demanding you get sacked because you didn't win a football match is another 😂

Let’s cancel all the interviews with the coaching staff and players and then you’ll have “didly squat” to moan about - or probably just make something up like some of the other posters on here do. Good job Warne, Barker and particularly David Clowes don’t take any notice of the outside noise, otherwise we wouldn’t have a club to “support” (?).

23 minutes ago, Carnero said:

The question was literally framed as "It's important not to get carried away with outside noise isn't it?" so Barker had every right to answer the question using the very same phrase.

Some people will just choose to take offence to anything if it fits with their preconceived narrative.

He could very easily have corrected Dom in the interview and said something like 'that the team/squad were aware of the feelings' being expressed. He could have said that 'outside noise' wasn't how they saw the fans and media. He could have said lots of alternate things but chose not to. He chose to agree with Dom's phrase 'outside noise', perhaps he thought it was cheering?!

For the sanctimonious amongst us, my first match was in 1967, I have seen all sorts in that time and I have never booed. I have however had a company with 1200 employees and can tell if someone is getting the absolute best of the talent and resources available to them, so no I would not have a different conversation face to face no matter what management theories you spout, because I have lived it  not just read about it. See you at Stevenage 

38 minutes ago, ziggazagga said:

Yes me and my Son too, not that it matters really as many follow home and away at great expense. Kind of what we do though and is always a choice to you and your Son..

I am not offended by this in the slightest. In fact he is bang on with his comments. If you wish to be offended that you are the outside noise then perhaps that is a reflection more on you than him.

Lets be honest, and as you know considering you were at Blackpool, fans singing PW your football is s**t at nil nil after 30 minutes is pathetic considering we went onto a great victory that night. A minority of fans sung this but still. 3 nil down fill your boots but at nil nil, jesus would have wept.

All Richie Barker did is publically state that they are getting the players focused and to ignore the negative outside noise, of which there is as we all know. This is good management. Keeping the players positive and focused is the only way we will win football games and get us out this league. 

You can twist and turn words all you like to be offended in one way or another. Keep a level head and stay positive. It is amazing what togetherness can do.

33 minutes ago, Carnero said:

The question was literally framed as "It's important not to get carried away with outside noise isn't it?" so Barker had every right to answer the question using the very same phrase.

Some people will just choose to take offence to anything if it fits with their preconceived narrative.

Spot on 

Whether you think it was aimed at the fans or not, it was a silly thing to say on the basis that it could be perceived as such. There was no need to say it and a smarter person wouldn't have been lulled-in.

Also, Exeter are 18th in the table in League One so all this talk of them being a decent side is playing fast and loose with the term 'decent'. 

With that comment and the NML gesture, clearly they feel the pressure and they feel it's unjust. If that energy is managed properly to create a siege mentality in the dressing room then that could be a good thing. If it's turned into 'oh woe is me' then that's the beginning of the end.

NML shouldn't have done it - it was arrogant and show's a disconnect between the players and the fans (who pay their wages, will be there long after he's gone, etc, etc). I get the whole emotional aspect but it was a silly thing to do for the same reason as above. I'd say he's gone down in my estimation but he's a footballer so we need to make allowances... 

6 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

He could very easily have corrected Dom in the interview and said something like 'that the team/squad were aware of the feelings' being expressed. He could have said that 'outside noise' wasn't how they saw the fans and media. He could have said lots of alternate things but chose not to. He chose to agree with Dom's phrase 'outside noise', perhaps he thought it was cheering?!

Did Ritchie Barker say anything different to what Juergen Klopp and 90 odd others managers would have said, or have said in the past.  Can you imagine what Brian Clough would have said asked the question?

”we would have sat down and talked about it, and come to the conclusion I was right all along”

11 minutes ago, On the Ram Page said:

Did Ritchie Barker say anything different to what Juergen Klopp and 90 odd others managers would have said, or have said in the past.  Can you imagine what Brian Clough would have said asked the question?

”we would have sat down and talked about it, and come to the conclusion I was right all along”

Lol. When there are other similarities between them I'm sure the fans will be happy to be called noise! 😄 Can't you see that it was an opportunity to help deal with a rift that is happening?