Dear Richie Barker

ziggazagga

7 minutes ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

You’ve got your view which I respect, but I don’t share it. 🍻 

I appreciate that Caerphilly Ram and likewise.

Let’s hope tomorrow they build on the performance from midweek and if we score players don’t celebrate by taking the mick but actually with the fans.

I mean the linesman presumably ruled out NMLs second goal in retaliation for a poor celebration of the first .. mr can’t shoot on target for toffee finally scored one (good goal mind)

Edited by norwichram

7 hours ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

While I appreciate the sentiment behind what you’re saying based on their experience as a management team to date, the phrase “outside noise” and Barker’s response to a question about it is not indicative of a “small club mentality”, it’s been used by many more prominent figures in sport than Richie Barker. I’m sure I’ve read Bill Belicheck, the very successful coach of the NFL side the New England Patriots, has it up around their locker room. 
And I found this fun little clip on Twitter/X of various footballing luminaries saying it (and Dion Dublin peering through windows 😂 🤷🏻‍♂️)

I really don’t see it as the slight against the fans that some do, I do of course respect the opinions of those who feel offended by the comment I personally don’t see as offensive. 

One last bit of evidence to support my stance (and hopefully help others feel less aggrieved), it’s a phrase used in an interview by a well loved wardrobe formerly of this parish in this interview when on Scotland duty;

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/chris-martin-says-scotland-players-9012556.amp

CM said; 

“That brings with it a little bit of pressure but, listen, we expect a lot of ourselves.

“We need to ignore all the outside noise and understand what we’ve got in the dressing room, set our own targets and live up to those.”

I wasn’t referencing the outside noise comments, rather their overall approach.

11 hours ago, RoyMac5 said:

When they give us something to cheer about then they can go on about outside noise and not expect a come back from the fans!

11 hours ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

That’s literally what happened. They won (which fans should cheer) and when asked about outside noise Barker said they have to ignore it and focus on doing their jobs (which they’d just done…by winning).

10 hours ago, RoyMac5 said:

Lol. An average performance looking no better than when they came in over a year ago, righteo.

A perfect example of someone moving the goalposts.

Did you not cheer the victory @RoyMac5

Sorry , I just don’t get it , and as for the management team being arrogant and stubborn it’s almost as if some think they are reading this forum and totally ignoring the advice / direction that the amateur managers are giving them which is clearly right , 

he was asked about outside noise and he said how they deal with it in terms of doing they’re job 🤷🏻‍♂️

10 hours ago, Archied said:

Sorry , I just don’t get it , and as for the management team being arrogant and stubborn it’s almost as if some think they are reading this forum and totally ignoring the advice / direction that the amateur managers are giving them which is clearly right , 

he was asked about outside noise and he said how they deal with it in terms of doing they’re job 🤷🏻‍♂️

My posts -  and I believe the posts of others - are not suggesting that his comments on this solitary answer are arrogant and stubborn.. more that his answer has been interpreted by us alongside other behaviours to show arrogance and stubbornness. 

the other behaviours for example are coming out regularly after the game and saying that there wasn’t much wrong with the performance/thought the lads played well.. after an absolutely sh*t performance where many posters observed that there was little structure to our play or fight or football. And overall it was crap. Like crapper than crap. Proper CRAP in Fact. If you like this football then I hope you are enjoying the season and no wonder you are sticking up for them and interpreting things differently to me and some others.

Selecting too many defensive players consistently when we mainly agree that we couldn’t break the opposition down.

selecting players perhaps more out of reputation maybe - ie Connor H earlier in the season/NML when he was knackered

if you can’t see that his answer to this question could have been an opportunity to build a bridge with the fans then I guess we have nothing further to discuss other than to agree that we are both grateful to have a club and up the rams!

On 26/10/2023 at 08:30, ziggazagga said:

My son and I travel home and away at great expense to support this team. I am not and never will be 'outside noise ' . You should be grateful we care enough to have an opinion of your hopeless coaching ability, trying to play a style that was fit for the 80s.  Never take this club nor the supporters for granted whilst you leach off our backs getting very well paid for a substandard job

Did I miss something?

I never heard this interview.

13 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Interesting stat - Barker got sacked by Portsmouth in League 2 after only 5 wins in 20 games. They won the 5 games immediately after he was sacked.

New manager bounce?

Barker's replacement only lasted 13 months at Portsmouth with a win rate of only 31% after he'd been appointed as a permanent manager.

Edited by Tamworthram

It may be unfair but I just find the pair of them come across more like non league managers.   Warne with his hat and hoodie yesterday, Barker with his tops always zipped up to the top standing like a sergeant on the parade ground.   Both never utter anything beyond old fashioned football cliches.   Run more, win battles, quality on the ball, "the lads" trained well. 

The use of player nick names - Collo, Sibs, Barks - as if they are just one big happy group.   Everything about them just grates.    

19 minutes ago, trappatoni said:

It may be unfair but I just find the pair of them come across more like non league managers.   Warne with his hat and hoodie yesterday, Barker with his tops always zipped up to the top standing like a sergeant on the parade ground.   Both never utter anything beyond old fashioned football cliches.   Run more, win battles, quality on the ball, "the lads" trained well. 

The use of player nick names - Collo, Sibs, Barks - as if they are just one big happy group.   Everything about them just grates.    

19 minutes ago, trappatoni said:

Spot on , those bloody nicknames have grated me since day 1