Dear Richie Barker

ziggazagga

53 minutes ago, ziggazagga said:

My son and I travel home and away at great expense to support this team. I am not and never will be 'outside noise ' . You should be grateful we care enough to have an opinion of your hopeless coaching ability, trying to play a style that was fit for the 80s.  Never take this club nor the supporters for granted whilst you leach off our backs getting very well paid for a substandard job

I will go to my grave fighting for the right of those who choose to correct of differ from others opinions, I applaud you and your Son zigga for the miles and miles along with the money you spend following DCFC...I've been there like 10s of 1000s of others since 1966, It's a religion that can only be broken by excommunication or wearing a goat hair under garment for your sins.

Football can be like an irritating partner at times, Someone you wouldn't swap for all the tea in Tesco and one you'd lay your life down for, But at times you'll have a look at them and think...why do I bother 😁

Barker like yourself has the right to criticize those who criticize, PW said that he had an "atrocious Sunday" I would hazard a guess that there were some fans out there who also had an atrocious Sunday too, When DCFC lose and lose in the manner that I read it's a pain that only time can fix...the next match.

Enjoy the Stevenage game give DCFC players your best...but imo there's more important things in life to get worked up about 😉    

3 minutes ago, sage said:

I'm amused by the ' he's only responded to a question' like he's being grilled by Jeremy Paxman. This is DCFC TV. They pre-arrange questions to fit the management narrative.

I thought he said it during the radio Derby interview? 

On the comment itself, again it’s all a matter of personal perspective. I don’t see much wrong in what he said as my interpretation of “outside noise” is what’s said in the media, online (here and social media for example) and by fans in the stadium. I took it to be him saying “we focus on doing the job in hand regardless of external comment”, it’s a phrase used in both positive and negative circumstances by many managers before and will be used again I’m sure.
I wouldn’t want them to be influenced by every single thing that’s said outside of the staff and playing group, provided they’re working under the remit of the owner and towards the club’s goals. Yes be receptive to some feedback but they have to show resilience in the face of adversity, otherwise they’d just fold and the club will tumble down the table. 

4 minutes ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

I thought he said it during the radio Derby interview? 

On the comment itself, again it’s all a matter of personal perspective. I don’t see much wrong in what he said as my interpretation of “outside noise” is what’s said in the media, online (here and social media for example) and by fans in the stadium. I took it to be him saying “we focus on doing the job in hand regardless of external comment”, it’s a phrase used in both positive and negative circumstances by many managers before and will be used again I’m sure.
I wouldn’t want them to be influenced by every single thing that’s said outside of the staff and playing group, provided they’re working under the remit of the owner and towards the club’s goals. Yes be receptive to some feedback but they have to show resilience in the face of adversity, otherwise they’d just fold and the club will tumble down the table. 

Probably so, but I think the reply would be 'read the room'? I get the feeling the management are setting up an 'us and them' sort of situation, NML's little post goal celebration was along those lines. Fine while it's kept in check by wins and good performances but a bit of an UXB if things don't go better.

Edited by RoyMac5

I haven’t heard the interview, and frankly can’t be bothered to listen to it. I respect however @ziggazagga’s opinions, and he is fully entitled to make them. He and his son are paying good money to watch what has been a piss poor show since March. I am glad Barker (and Warne, and Mendez Laing), are hearing the noise, and might raise their games accordingly. One win against an ordinary Exeter side is nothing to get too carried away with, although the victory was welcomed. Let’s get a run of wins under our belt and then that would be the time for Barker to respond to the expectations of fans.

I feel the coaching staff could make more of an effort to make comments which are likely to unite the fans rather than push them away. Spinning the question by referring to positives is the way to go, such as "tonight was a result of a united fan base pushing the team on". This is much better than drawing attention to negatives with a number of "outside noise" references. 

I always wonder how many of the fans outraged by Barker's comments - it's been bubbling on X since the game - are the same ones shouting you're f****** s***, get him off, etc etc all game to players who can hear every word? 

If you dish it out, then be prepared to take it.

And if you don't,  then neither Barker or Mendez-Laing were aiming anything at you, so why get het up about it? 

5 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

I feel the coaching staff could make more of an effort to make comments which are likely to unite the fans rather than push them away. Spinning the question by referring to positives is the way to go, such as "tonight was a result of a united fan base pushing the team on". This is much better than drawing attention to negatives with a number of "outside noise" references. 

Of course, but they tend to answer the questions they are asked in the moment, immediately after the game. Radio Derby stirring the pot again.

I think most of us agree that there's a better atmosphere at games when some of the floating fans aren't there (it's the same at away matches.)

Our fanbase has been quite divided over recent years, built mainly on expectations, and it was only briefly united through administration. 

I don't think that will change while the football we are playing isn't great and even then it will turn on a sixpence (Mac mark II for example).

I also remember the stick Scotty Malone got when he gave some back to fans in the East Stand who'd been giving him dog's abuse all season.

Players - and their families who sit amongst us at these games - are only human.

2 hours ago, Stive Pesley said:

Yeah - it's seen as "staff training" to sometimes get your assistants to do media. Especially if they have ambitions to manage themselves. There is more to being a manager than just coaching. Media is one thing. Putting up with hysterical fans demanding you get sacked because you didn't win a football match is another 😂

Barker has already been a manager in his own right at Bury, Crawley and Portsmouth

1 hour ago, ziggazagga said:

For the sanctimonious amongst us, my first match was in 1967, I have seen all sorts in that time and I have never booed. I have however had a company with 1200 employees and can tell if someone is getting the absolute best of the talent and resources available to them, so no I would not have a different conversation face to face no matter what management theories you spout, because I have lived it  not just read about it. See you at Stevenage 

So we can close the thread then, you clearly have all the answers