Dear Richie Barker

ziggazagga

1 hour ago, trekkie_ram said:

I can't even see the bit that's being moaned about, and I've listened to the YouTube 2m 32s 'Match Reaction' interview a few times.

Can anyone help me out?

It was the bit around 2 mins into the interview when Barker was asked whether his negative coaching style was having a detrimental impact on players and whether Warne should get sacked with immediate effect - you can't miss it as then Barker headbutts the interviewer causing him to fall to the floor whereby Barker then kicks him repeatedly around the head and body then grabs his mike and breaks it over his knee.

Or I might be dreaming the whole thing

Two things I noted from all this.

1. "Background noise". Untrue, the atmosphere at pride park has been quiet for a while.

2. "Elite sport". I agree that there are always opinions around elite sport, but I don't see what that has to do with a mid-table third division side.

3. I understand an "us Vs them" mentality can be good at times. But going against your own fans will never work out in your favour. Why not just say "we, like the fans are demanding improvement"?

Think it'll be a while before they wheel him out for the media again.

The entire management team have a small club (experience) and mentality and need to understand very quickly that, as Paul W called it, “just more fans rather than fans have a higher expectation at Derby than other clubs” will not bring success. Other clubs may be happy in the top 12 of the third division of English football, we won’t be.

1 hour ago, oodledoodle said:

Two things I noted from all this. ...

Not 3?

1. "Background noise". Untrue, the atmosphere at pride park has been quiet for a while.

He just repeated the phrase that he was asked about, possibly a nod to the Hourihane incident, which he just batted it off as something the players need to deal with.

2. "Elite sport". I agree that there are always opinions around elite sport, but I don't see what that has to do with a mid-table third division side.

They aren't playing on a Sunday morning. They are professionals. If he had said 'obviously they aren't elite players' you would have been totally on board with that?

1 hour ago, oodledoodle said:

3. I understand an "us Vs them" mentality can be good at times. But going against your own fans will never work out in your favour. Why not just say "we, like the fans are demanding improvement"?

The fans were involved in barricking the manager and by extension him. They argued with the captain. I really think its rich to complain about him 'going against the fans '. 

Think it'll be a while before they wheel him out for the media again.

I hope not. He spoke honestly and well.

Pathetic to expect him not to give a bit back...and to my mind he didn't anyway.  NML possibly showed a bit of irritation, Hourihane came over to argue with the nature of the fans attitude. But obviously Barker politely answering a question asked of him is the issue.

49 minutes ago, WystonRam said:

The entire management team have a small club (experience) and mentality and need to understand very quickly that, as Paul W called it, “just more fans rather than fans have a higher expectation at Derby than other clubs” will not bring success. Other clubs may be happy in the top 12 of the third division of English football, we won’t be.

While I appreciate the sentiment behind what you’re saying based on their experience as a management team to date, the phrase “outside noise” and Barker’s response to a question about it is not indicative of a “small club mentality”, it’s been used by many more prominent figures in sport than Richie Barker. I’m sure I’ve read Bill Belicheck, the very successful coach of the NFL side the New England Patriots, has it up around their locker room. 
And I found this fun little clip on Twitter/X of various footballing luminaries saying it (and Dion Dublin peering through windows 😂 🤷🏻‍♂️)

I really don’t see it as the slight against the fans that some do, I do of course respect the opinions of those who feel offended by the comment I personally don’t see as offensive. 

One last bit of evidence to support my stance (and hopefully help others feel less aggrieved), it’s a phrase used in an interview by a well loved wardrobe formerly of this parish in this interview when on Scotland duty;

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/chris-martin-says-scotland-players-9012556.amp

CM said; 

“That brings with it a little bit of pressure but, listen, we expect a lot of ourselves.

“We need to ignore all the outside noise and understand what we’ve got in the dressing room, set our own targets and live up to those.”

Edited by Caerphilly Ram

9 minutes ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

While I appreciate the sentiment behind what you’re saying based on their experience as a management team to date, the phrase “outside noise” and Barker’s response to a question about it is not indicative of a “small club mentality”, it’s been used by many more prominent figures in sport than Richie Barker. I’m sure I’ve read Bill Belicheck, the very successful coach of the NFL side the New England Patriots, has it up around their locker room. 
And I found this fun little clip on Twitter/X of various footballing luminaries saying it (and Dion Dublin peering through windows 😂 🤷🏻‍♂️)

I really don’t see it as the slight against the fans that some do, I do of course respect the opinions of those who feel offended by the comment I personally don’t see as offensive. 

One last bit of evidence to support my stance (and hopefully help others feel less aggrieved), it’s a phrase used in an interview by a well loved wardrobe formerly of this parish in this interview when on Scotland duty;

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/chris-martin-says-scotland-players-9012556.amp

CM said; 

“That brings with it a little bit of pressure but, listen, we expect a lot of ourselves.

“We need to ignore all the outside noise and understand what we’ve got in the dressing room, set our own targets and live up to those.”

When they give us something to cheer about then they can go on about outside noise and not expect a come back from the fans!

1 hour ago, WystonRam said:

Would he be the same with Norwich

8 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

When they give us something to cheer about then they can go on about outside noise and not expect a come back from the fans!

That’s literally what happened. They won (which fans should cheer) and when asked about outside noise Barker said they have to ignore it and focus on doing their jobs (which they’d just done…by winning).

28 minutes ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

That’s literally what happened. They won (which fans should cheer) and when asked about outside noise Barker said they have to ignore it and focus on doing their jobs (which they’d just done…by winning).

Lol. An average performance looking no better than when they came in over a year ago, righteo.

For me it’s got my goat a little. 
I can still concentrate when driving, eating and can enjoy a good cup of tea. 

However that said the question was asked to reference the recent vocal dissatisfaction that was exuberantly expressed by a section of fans. 

ritchie could have reached out to the fans but didn’t. 
he could have easily acknowledged the frustration and re emphasised the importance role the fans have played and then importance of sticking together ..fans and players and management .. but he didn’t. He absolutely didn’t. 

I believe they are arrogant as a management team (stubbornness in team selection and formation) and I believe they simply don’t like it up em.

call me precious but whenever they’ve been asked about the fans since they came to the club Richie and warne have never been effusive and always been a little too professional in their acknowledgment. 

we’ve been and we remain an important part of the club and whilst you may see this as me over exaggerating I’m just venting something that has vexed me for the past 12 months … other than the s**** football, flat caps and over sized cardigans during the winter months. 

love an indulgent post from time to time.

I thank you. 

DTID

love Nyambe

Edited by norwichram

I'm not a fan of the old 'What you sayin' now I've scored a goal against Exeter. Yes, Exeter. At home. That puts us level with Lincoln and just behind Stevenage' hand motion to the ear celebration.

It's like me walking into the house, stabbing a fork into the film of a Chicken Curry microwaveable meal several times,  not bothering to stir half way through the 6 alloted minutes and then turning round to the Mrs, who's been banging on at me to do more cooking for the last 11 years, and giving the same celebration.

It's exactly the same thing.

Not sure if the post is in response to mine but I’m expressing a gripe I that I have held for sometime. This gripe was not a gripe until I noticed what I perceived to be a pattern in minimalistic acknowledgement, on behalf of the management team, of the support offered by Derby county fans at matches which at the time was absolutely tremendous and unwavering. 
i had no gripe with the manager and his team at the time. 
indeed I have had a personal conversation with him one to one and found him to be warm and sincere.

But when the fans are amazing it’s ok to say so - Klopp does, plenty of other managers have no shame in praising the role played by a vociferous fan base.

if the fans hadn’t been so brilliant home and away I wouldn’t have the issue.
I decided to post my thoughts and feelings on this because this thread is kind of in topic for what I’d thought.

thanks for being there.

9 minutes ago, Wolfie20 said:

Hilarious how some fans will find any excuse to criticise players and/or managers and/or other Club staff in an attempt to back up their own opinions, without ever really knowing the individuals concerned.

Edited by norwichram

10 minutes ago, Wolfie20 said:

Hilarious how some fans will find any excuse to criticise players and/or managers and/or other Club staff in an attempt to back up their own opinions, without ever really knowing the individuals concerned.

Hilarious how some posters will spend their entire day belittling other fans without ever making an attempt to post anything insightful or valuable to the community 

2 minutes ago, norwichram said:

Not sure if the post is in response to mine but I’m expressing a gripe I that I have held for sometime. This gripe was not a gripe until I noticed what I perceived to be a pattern in minimalistic acknowledgement of the support offered by Derby county fans at matches which at the time was absolutely tremendous and unwavering. 
i had no gripe with the manager and his team at the time. 
indeed I have had a personal conversation with him one to one and found him to be warm and sincere.

But when the fans are amazing it’s ok to say so - Klopp does, plenty of other managers have no shame in praising the role played by a vociferous fan base.

if the fans had t been so brilliant home and away I wouldn’t have the issue.
I decided to post my thoughts and feelings on this because this thread is kind of in topic for what I’d thought.

thanks for being there.

If you go looking for it there is plenty of evidence of Warne and Barker praising the Derby fans, I appreciate sometimes that can be missed so for balance here is a quote from Barker in April of this year following the away victory at Exeter;

On the travelling fans...

Most of those that came here tonight were probably at Bristol Rovers on Saturday as well. They were important for us kicking towards them in the second half. They gave the lads energy and encouraged them to keep pressing. They've been excellent away from home all season and to think about that many coming here on a Tuesday night is amazing.

Taken from the club website https://www.dcfc.co.uk/news/2023/04/post-match-verdict-richie-barker-vs-exeter-city-a-april-2023

Or this quote from Barker following the away win at MK Dons last season;

On the Derby support...

That was some effort but when you add to the fact we went to Liverpool on Wednesday night and then Torquay United last week and even last Tuesday at Morecambe; it's absolutely amazing. 

For that many people to make that effort and for the goals to go in at that end in the second half is a massive reward for them. The fans have been great with us since we came and hopefully they can see improvements and what we're trying to do and stick with us through the good times and the bad times.

https://www.dcfc.co.uk/news/2022/11/post-match-verdict-paul-warne-vs-mk-dons-a-november-2022

You are of course entitled to feel how you do. I’m confident that there has been plenty of praise for the Rams support from Warne and his colleagues over the last year and am sure that will continue beyond this one comment from Barker on Tuesday night that appears to have upset some. 

25 minutes ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

If you go looking for it there is plenty of evidence of Warne and Barker praising the Derby fans, I appreciate sometimes that can be missed so for balance here is a quote from Barker in April of this year following the away victory at Exeter;

On the travelling fans...

Most of those that came here tonight were probably at Bristol Rovers on Saturday as well. They were important for us kicking towards them in the second half. They gave the lads energy and encouraged them to keep pressing. They've been excellent away from home all season and to think about that many coming here on a Tuesday night is amazing.

Taken from the club website https://www.dcfc.co.uk/news/2023/04/post-match-verdict-richie-barker-vs-exeter-city-a-april-2023

Or this quote from Barker following the away win at MK Dons last season;

On the Derby support...

That was some effort but when you add to the fact we went to Liverpool on Wednesday night and then Torquay United last week and even last Tuesday at Morecambe; it's absolutely amazing. 

For that many people to make that effort and for the goals to go in at that end in the second half is a massive reward for them. The fans have been great with us since we came and hopefully they can see improvements and what we're trying to do and stick with us through the good times and the bad times.

https://www.dcfc.co.uk/news/2022/11/post-match-verdict-paul-warne-vs-mk-dons-a-november-2022

You are of course entitled to feel how you do. I’m confident that there has been plenty of praise for the Rams support from Warne and his colleagues over the last year and am sure that will continue beyond this one comment from Barker on Tuesday night that appears to have upset some. 

I remember both of these quotes funnily enough. 
my point was not that no praise has ever been given. 
If no praise had ever been given Caerphilly Ram we would all be having a very different conversation.

and if you can’t praise 6k at MK dons and similar away at Liverpool then you’re doing something wrong. 
I’m sure if you look you’ll find times when they’ve put out a one liner. Which for me personally either having been or watching on Rams TV and hearing the fans outsing the opposition fans week in week out wasn’t enough. That’s my point the praise too often wasn’t commensurate with the fans support. 

perhaps they could have come out with it themselves at the start of the interview and not had to be prompted about the support the odd time. 

im making an assumption Rotherham don’t take the same following away as we do and I know they don’t have the same size attendances at home. But more than that these people were until recently so vocal it was heartwarming. It meant something to us and me. I have been so proud of how the fans reacted this past three years or so. So it’s not hard to imagine that it’s the best in terms  of volume of noise and people that warne and Co have experienced. I wondered if they were intimidated or were trying to be cool and exert confidence.

it’s not unrealistic to imagine that many others managers would have come in and embraced it a little more. They may have even have done the bounce once or twice .. oh that’s right we didn’t get promoted .. or even in the play offs.

now the fans support has dipped they’re happy to acknowledge it. 

Edited by norwichram

11 minutes ago, norwichram said:

I remember both of these quotes funnily enough. 
my point was not that no praise has ever been given. 
If no praise had ever been given Caerphilly Ram we would all be having a very different conversation.

and if you can’t praise 6k at MK dons and similar away at Liverpool then you’re doing something wrong. 
I’m sure if you look you’ll find times when they’ve put out a one liner. Which for me personally either having been or watching on Rams TV and hearing the fans outsing the opposition fans week in week out wasn’t enough. That’s my point the praise too often wasn’t commensurate with the fans support. 

perhaps they could have come out with it themselves at the start of the interview and not had to be prompted about the support the odd time. 

im making an assumption Rotherham don’t take the same following away as we do and I know they don’t have the same size attendances at home. But more than that these people were until recently so vocal it was heartwarming. It meant something to us and me. I have been so proud of how the fans reacted this past three years or so. So it’s not hard to imagine that it’s the best in terms  of volume of noise and people that warne and Co have experienced. I wondered if they were intimidated or were trying to be cool and exert confidence.

it’s not unrealistic to imagine that many others managers would have come in and embraced it a little more. They may have even have done the bounce once or twice .. oh that’s right we didn’t get promoted .. or even in the play offs.

now the fans support has dipped they’re happy to acknowledge it. 

You’ve got your view which I respect, but I don’t share it. 🍻 

4 hours ago, oodledoodle said:

If you ignore the excessive player wages, the expensive merchandise tat, grubby gambling sponsorship, etc. it can just about be classified as sport ........ but most definitely not elite.