Why are we so grumpy

FindernRam

Even by our normal standards we do seem unusually sparky with each other.

Personally I think its these interminable international breaks. Very little proper football to see live or on TV. Schedules messed about with , worries that our thin squad will be hit with even more injuries. Nothing to talk about so like kids at a wet playtime (according to my ex-teacher wife) we squabble endlessly.

It's probably since the record Premier league season so a good 15 years! Derby has had some horrible luck and not much to cheer about.

Going from one manager to the next endless players coming and going we have only had success (only in short moments) and maybe the other teams of our stature (and below) and teams near us like Lesta/Forest have had good success

The fans can only take so much but we stand by and support regardless

The game being a money game, you need to be funded to hit the Premier league... if we beat Villa may all of our fortunes been different. Cause the prem works differently we probably wouldn't have had any points deduction and also would have written off a lot of debt 

We just want something to be proud of like any fan does

One day.... Derby County will rise up again 🐏 

Edited by TheRamOfSwad

A combination of reasons I suspect.

I think that many folks had hoped that we'd be in a better position than we are, and people's reactions and ways of dealing with that can be very different. You see it at games too. Some folk are in a constant state of agitation and the team and manager can do not right, others kick every ball and have extremes of emotions both ways and others are much more matter of fact and others again may be relentlessly upbeat. I used to sit near a guy who must have felt completely drained after every game, he'd rant and rave at anything he didn't like and every throw in against us was a personal affront to him and 5 mins later would swear blind that we'd just scored the best goal in the history of football. A forum is just a cross-section of all that. It's not a problem to have that different take on things but sometimes we all need to just accept that ours is not necessarily the best or only way to view the current issue or game. Some many posts come over as "I'm right, you're wrong, you must hate the club and want us to lose/are a deluded happy clapper *delete as appropriate". Debate is good, but sometimes you are just not going to find common ground, so walk away and agree to disagree. It can sometimes be hard to read that point in the debate though I guess..

Also, performances and results are by any standards really erratic and that's frustrating because on a good day we look like we have the capability to really have a go this year an others look hopeless. We've swung from the demolition of 5th placed Peterborough on their own patch, to a really disappointing draw against the bottom side with a goal conceded against a team that hadn't seemingly scored since the time of the dinosaurs. Just when we see to have found a way to make this work, we seem to have a performance that brings us down to earth with a bump.

I think also that there is great deal of misunderstanding about what it means to criticise the team or manager on a forum. Some folk (and fair play em) will be ultra positive and seem to be really sensitive about anyone criticising the team, a player or the manager on a forum. The seems to be a belief that anyone questioning any of those things must just spend their time booing the team at games and keying players cars, whereas for many, the post match analysis isn't some kin of loyalty test, it's the equivalent of analysing the performance (good and bad) over a pint with your mates, nothing more, and very probably after spending the previous 90 mins shouting yourself hoarse supporting the team.

56 minutes ago, TheRamOfSwad said:

It's probably since the record Premier league season so a good 15 years! Derby has had some horrible luck and not much to cheer about.

Going from one manager to the next endless players coming and going we have only had success (only in short moments) and maybe the other teams of our stature (and below) and teams near us like Lesta/Forest have had good success

The game being a money game, you need to be funded to hit the Premier league... if we beat QPR may all of our fortunes been different. Cause the prem works differently we probably wouldn't have had any points deduction and also would have written off a lot of debt 

FTFY (you’ve got to look hard, but it’s worth it).

Also, it’s because we’re in this stupid league, I hate it, and want to get out of it. Now!

1 hour ago, TheRamOfSwad said:

The game being a money game, you need to be funded to hit the Premier league... if we beat Villa may all of our fortunes been different. Cause the prem works differently we probably wouldn't have had any points deduction and also would have written off a lot of debt 

And yet most are screaming for another. Simple fact on top of previous mis-management from the owners is we never have a settled period at all.

Another manager, different style, new players. Oh why haven't we got instant success? Let's get rid of the manager.

You can sum it up in one word - Entitled.

I just think a couple of convincing home wins will set everyone a bit more positive.

If we were in exactly the same position but our wins had been at pride park rather than away, i think the grumps would be less full on. The concerns about the team, style, perception that we're underperforming would all still be here but the mood would be less negative in general.

And, yes, it's been 15 years of mostly dissapointment, a lot of unispiring grind, then hopes raised and dashed coming out this season, but I think that'll work itself out.

1 minute ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

I just think a couple of convincing home wins will set everyone a bit more positive.

If we were in exactly the same position but our wins had been at pride park rather than away, i think the grumps would be less full on. The concerns about the team, style, perception that we're underperforming would all still be here but the mood would be less negative in general.

And, yes, it's been 15 years of mostly dissapointment, a lot of unispiring grind, then hopes raised and dashed coming out this season, but I think that'll work itself out.

I agree with this.

I do think it's noticeable how some of the more positive posts about Warne seem to come from people who regularly attend away games, where (in spite of some troublemakers spoiling it for others) there's naturally more of a feeling of togetherness and more emphasis on results and atmosphere than the general quality of performance.

Understandably so when you consider they've not had many away wins to cheer over the past... many years.

It's so much easier to be grumpy and find negative in anything than it is to focus on the positives.

Also negativity is always right in the end, Paul Warne will inevitably sacked in the future, so some people think "why put the effort in", "if good things come along, it's a bonus, but if it all turns to s**t, I was right all along"

2 minutes ago, Loughborough Ram said:

It's so much easier to be grumpy and find negative in anything than it is to focus on the positives.

Also negativity is always right in the end, Paul Warne will inevitably sacked in the future, so some people think "why put the effort in", "if good things come along, it's a bonus, but if it all turns to s**t, I was right all along"

That's a nice positive outlook on the reasons for some people being grumpy/negative..

3 minutes ago, Chellaston Ram said:

It’s an accumulation of things

Unattractive football 

The size of our club being stuck in League 1

Our rivals doing alot better than us 

No real success for god knows how many years 

The recent demise of our club through no fault of the fans 

I get what you say about our rivals doing well. Notts C and Mansfield are having good seasons. As for Florists , I have always been suprised how many fans around me have followed their matches , while we are playing . It’s seems their demise is as important as our success. Unfortunately they are light- years ahead of us at the moment , but football is a funny game .