Why are we so grumpy

FindernRam

We're grumpy because the football's awful, we're already 10 points adrift and there seems no plan/strategy we can look to and justifiably hope things will improve. Before the season started, the majority view on here in our poll was that the minimum expectation for the season was promotion. That looks an awfully long way away, and fast disappearing over the horizon. 

Failure to be promoted would be the lowest point in the history of the club. We've never spent three consecutive years in the third tier. 

With the way the cost of living has gone up over the last 2 years, it makes me wonder if people are now thinking... £30+ a game depending on how far they travel + drinks + food etc... little enjoyment in return = have a little moan.

People are tending to keep a closer eye on their finances so they are more likely to realise what an expensive hobby this sport of ours can be.

3 hours ago, Chris_Martin said:

what are those positives?

Still having a club considering how worried we all were 18 months ago.

For some people that's the most important thing, I started going with my dad and grandad, when my grandad died it was just me and my dad, before I was born my dad used to go with my grandad, now my dad is no longer with us and my daughter comes sometimes, when you're board at half time waiting for the second half and you think about the good times your family have had at the club, it kind of puts it into perspective.

For me still having a club to support, carrying on the family tradition of supporting Derby, hoping my grand-kids will also continue it - is more important than winning promotion. (don't get me wrong I would love to get promoted)

3 hours ago, Ken said:

Still having a club considering how worried we all were 18 months ago.

For some people that's the most important thing, I started going with my dad and grandad, when my grandad died it was just me and my dad, before I was born my dad used to go with my grandad, now my dad is no longer with us and my daughter comes sometimes, when you're board at half time waiting for the second half and you think about the good times your family have had at the club, it kind of puts it into perspective.

For me still having a club to support, carrying on the family tradition of supporting Derby, hoping my grand-kids will also continue it - is more important than winning promotion. (don't get me wrong I would love to get promoted)

I totally agree that still having a club to support is more important than anything but there is something I don't hear many bring up.

Deep down we know that Mr Clowes probably doesn't have the money to fund us indefinitely in this division and getting promoted is probably very important in us retaining our facilities at their current level etc.

There could be some dread in the backs of people's minds knowing if promotion doesn't come soon enough we could be in a mess once again, or have to go through the process of trying to sell all or part of the club, and having deal with all the anxiety that comes with it.

you talk of your what the club means to you and your family and I think many people resonate with that and think deep down that we probably arnt out of the woods just yet, and put alot of emphasis on promotion being part of the clubs future stability. 

9 minutes ago, Stockport Ram said:

Are our current crop actually worse than some of the late 70’s / early 80’s dross brought in by the Doc et al?

Absolutely not. Billy Caskey, Roy Greenwood, Vic Moreland and Aiden McCaffery, plus a handful of others that weren't even good enough to become a bad memory will go down as one of our worst ever teams. Yes they were operating in the top division but that had nothing to do with their ability, it was all down to the achievements of the great players that preceded them

1 hour ago, Loughborough Ram said:

5 games unbeaten

3 points off 4rd place, 4 points off 3rd, with a game in hand on both of those teams.

Players coming back from injury.

That's just off the top of my head.

3 points off 4rd place and 4 points off 3rd are not positives.

Your including a 0-0 draw at home to cambridge utd and an embarrassing draw against a cheltenham side that hadn't scored a goal all season as positives? 

So that really just leaves players coming back from injury as the only real positive....hence why we're so grumpy😅

4 minutes ago, Chris_Martin said:

3 points off 4rd place and 4 points off 3rd are not positives.

Your including a 0-0 draw at home to cambridge utd and an embarrassing draw against a cheltenham side that hadn't scored a goal all season as positives? 

So that really just leaves players coming back from injury as the only real positive....hence why we're so grumpy😅

I refer you to my first post

The poster who mentioned people think they are entitled to success, hit the nail on the head. Toys then get thrown out of the pram when they don't get what they think they are entitled to! Mardiness is then spread across the forum. Poor things, are they upset? Welcome to the world of league 1 where it is not easy to get out, and results have to be scraped out every week.

I for one follow the rams with hope that the next game comes around quickly and will be a win, and I have never booed a rams team or player in my life.  I'd go to away matches too, but the entitled crowd who insist on standing regardless of who is behind them make that a non starter.

2 hours ago, Stockport Ram said:

You can cope with un-pretty football if you’re winning virtually every week. 

Well I could, anyway.

The hardest part for me is that we have brought in a whole new team of players (and a sub, as I think it’s 12), since last season, but look almost progressively worse as a team. 

Are our current crop actually worse than some of the late 70’s / early 80’s dross brought in by the Doc et al?

No they are not. Our current crop could tear most of this league up - nit perhaps to the level thar Ipswich and Plymouth did, but our knock on the door of automatics could be pretty loud. But it is not. Because what our current crop have to offer is being wasted. As has already been pointed out, even James Maddison and Phil Foden would look like journeyman in this team because we play the ball so wide that we are in danger of each pass giving a throw-in away.

That is the frustration - that we are capable of so much more. I am not advocating his return because he too is a one trick pony who is easily found out, but Steve MaClaren would get this team on a great winning run because he finds the team’s strengths and plays to them.

16 hours ago, Carl Sagan said:

Failure to be promoted would be the lowest point in the history of the club.

That 11 point season is arguably the lowest point of any team in football history. We'll always be ridiculed for that.

I don't see the failure of promotion as being a significant low point. Disappointing yes, but there are a certain degree of extenuating circumstances.

8 minutes ago, CongletonRam said:

That 11 point season is arguably the lowest point of any team in football history. We'll always be ridiculed for that.

I don't see the failure of promotion as being a significant low point. Disappointing yes, but there are a certain degree of extenuating circumstances.

Whilst it will always be pointed out as an awful points total, the level we were playing at is much higher than we currently are at.

So the lowest point in the history of the club was the valid point being made.

Edited by RoyMac5

To elabrate from the 'Why so negative????' thread...

The fans of most other teams in the EFL, and also of the PL apart from those permanently in the top division, have had promotions more recently than us to enjoy/keep them preoccupied. Of the other similarly sized clubs to us in the list, all have been in the PL since we have, and haven't had to endure the 07/08 season, two relegations, near liquidation etc.

So in a way Derby are in an almost unique situation with the length of time since our last promotion. If things start going 'wrong', in whatever way you see it, ie not enough home wins, style of football, too many old players, too many injured players etc etc then it's understandable a sense of 'here we go again we're doomed' becomes the dominant feeling, like the self fulfilling early spring collapse.

Breaking out of this negative mindset given the past is tough for individual fans, and it also appears tough for the club to get out of a repeating cycle of outcome failure.

Screenshot 2023-10-15 at 6.54.20 PM.png

55 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Whilst it will always be pointed out as an awful points total, the level we were playing at is much higher than we currently are at.

So the lowest point in the history of the club was the valid point being made.

Do you make it a point of generally being disagreeable?

How can non promotion of a club that has just been under a transfer embargo, with new owners and an almost entirely new squad be a bigger low point than getting the lowest points total of any other in footballing history?

You really are something else RoyMac.

4 minutes ago, CongletonRam said:

Do you make it a point of generally being disagreeable?

How can non promotion of a club that has just been under a transfer embargo, with new owners and an almost entirely new squad be a bigger low point than getting the lowest points total of any other in footballing history?

You really are something else RoyMac.

You mean just because I totally disagree with your assessment of the clubs potential status? 

If we aren't promoted this season we will be at a point in the Clubs history that it has never been at before. You do know that we have done most of the rest before, except maybe transfer embargo?

We have NEVER spent three consecutive seasons in League 1 before. Therefore we would be at the lowest point in the Clubs history. Which bit don't you get?