Atmosphere at Pride Park

simmoram1995

Was listening to the Rams podcast where the focus was about the atmosphere at Pride Park. It was suggested the atmosphere was flat due to unrealistic expectation and fan arrogance in league one. Personally I think the atmosphere has been awful for years. I remember when I first started watching derby I vividly remember a far better match day experience (03/04) with a drummer in the north stand for corners and free kicks. Plus Steve Bloomer’s watching is far too fast and large chunks are skipped out so fans are all over the place when it’s played, that awful spoken word poem doesn’t create much atmosphere and the “in our DNA youth” is just a bit embarrassing.

what’s everyone’s thoughts about the atmosphere and how could it be improved?

I thought on Saturday it was quiet after the first few minutes. Good welcome back after the break, then quiet again.

The play isn’t inspiring and the booze effect wears off. 

Noise was great when we scored. I think what I’m saying is that the crowd is with the team but needs a bit of excitement from on the pitch too. It’s a symbiotic relationship.

It sucks because the football sucks. I've been to 3 home league games this season and every time there has been a scintilla of excitement and/or hope for a decent result, it's led to a good atmosphere. At Portsmouth the few times we did get forward, i thought it was obvious the fans were almost frothing at the mouth. 

11 minutes ago, simmoram1995 said:

Was listening to the Rams podcast where the focus was about the atmosphere at Pride Park. It was suggested the atmosphere was flat due to unrealistic expectation and fan arrogance in league one. Personally I think the atmosphere has been awful for years. I remember when I first started watching derby I vividly remember a far better match day experience (03/04) with a drummer in the north stand for corners and free kicks. Plus Steve Bloomer’s watching is far too fast and large chunks are skipped out so fans are all over the place when it’s played, that awful spoken word poem doesn’t create much atmosphere and the “in our DNA youth” is just a bit embarrassing.

Was the 'unrealistic expectation' put down to the fact we have a manager who cannot produce either exciting and/or winning football? Fan arrogance is nonsense, we have the resources and the support to do really well in this league, but aren't. We were relegated not because we lost too many games but because of points deductions. Footballing wise we do not belong in this league. But here we are.

Edited by RoyMac5

Constant deafening PA system before match and half time doesnt help build anything gradually ahead of match. Poem, steve bloomer then we're expected to be singing our hearts out. There is nothing to make fans want to get to seats early (but we do as just like to be in there)

Also a totally personal peeve but when the announcer man bossily says to get behind the Rams always think what do you think I've given up a huge amount of money and my Saturday from 10.30 to 8 to do! Really annoys me

Edited by CBRammette
Sentence added

44 minutes ago, CBRammette said:

Constant deafening PA system before match and half time doesnt help build anything gradually ahead of match. Poem, steve bloomer then we're expected to be singing our hearts out. There is nothing to make fans want to get to seats early (but we do as just like to be in there)

Also a totally personal peeve but when the announcer man bossily says to get behind the Rams always think what do you think I've given up a huge amount of money and my Saturday from 10.30 to 8 to do! Really annoys me

I think the music before the game should be singalong classics like Sweet Caroline and Hey Jude. 

Get everyone in the habit of singing before the match starts. 

Sack the awful bar staff who don't know a Lager from a bitter

One match last season I asked for 2 half pints of bitter and I got asked if I'd like it in 1 glass... Jesus Christ 

Also could they not pre pour pints for fans arriving at half time so you can just tap your card and have time to drink your pint, queues of people everywhere... it's not rocket science 

Edited by TheRamOfSwad

37 minutes ago, Anag Ram said:

I think the music before the game should be singalong classics like Sweet Caroline and Hey Jude. 

Get everyone in the habit of singing before the match starts. 

Christ no ,, not sweet Caroline ,hey Jude or any such generic plastic attempt at the Americanised sport experience , atmosphere at football has to be created by importance of the game and how it pans out , anything else is just fake nonesense , certain games I was at through our history stand out to me because the atmosphere was electric, why pretend every game is like or can be like that 🤷🏻‍♂️

I know it’s stating the obvious but as @The Scarlet Pimpernel says, the atmosphere is largely impacted by the football we are watching. It’s not been great this season and, apart from against Fleetwood and a few minutes against Pompey, we haven’t been ahead in games all season. I know the old argument that the supporters should generate an atmosphere to help the players but that’s not always easy when you’re watching poor football. For what it’s worth, as with most things, I don’t think we’re unique and I suspect we don’t suffer from a poor atmosphere any more than most other clubs especially when they’re behind in games and/or playing poor football.

2 hours ago, simmoram1995 said:

It hasn't "been awful for years". We are only 1 point off being a bottom half L1 side. Suggesting there are unrealistic expectations and arrogance due to expecting much better in this division is ludicrous. 

I felt the atmosphere was pretty good with Lampard and Cocu as managers, although it did start to fizzle out a bit after the initial excitement of Cocu as manager wore off. It was exceptional when in administration under Rooney, and that carried through to 22/23 under Rosenior, then gradually got worse under Warne.

Lampard, Rooney and Rosenior understood the importance of having a fantastic relationship with the fans, creating a united bond throughout the whole club. It is when that bond is greatest when the atmosphere is also at its best. Another factor is having sustained periods of possession. It allows the fans to also have a sustained period of backing the team. A break down in possession, has the affect of a breakdown in the atmosphere.

The atmosphere is flat because the majority of Derby fans can't be bothered at home games.

Look around you in the east, west and north stands and you'll find the majority don't sing once SBW has finished and the South Stand noise is basically made by those at the top of D and E blocks whilst the rest look at their phones. 

The atmosphere at PP was good for a while during the admin period and improved for a while after the takeover,  but let's not kid ourselves that it's anything above average for the majority of the time. 

We either need to be a play off semi final or some other big occasion to get most fans off their arse.

Some of the stuff we sing is so beyond cringey. Not even the Collymore crap, either. "Are you watching, Nottingham?" No, they're not, they're in the Prem and couldn't give a toss if we've scraped a goal against League One dross. It feels like we're going through the motions half the time, which prob comes from the pitch tbh.