Atmosphere at Pride Park

simmoram1995

On 20/09/2023 at 12:12, trappatoni said:

Best atmosphere at PP for me was against Boro in the late 90s? - we had a man sent off (maybe Darryl Powell) and got a late winner.

I dont actually think the atmosphere is too bad but I am in the South Stand.   There's a few songs that aren't great - Spirit in the Sky is just a dirge and Collins' do wah diddy is never getting popular but I'm not going to knock anyone that sings just 'cause I think the song isnt the best.    

Yep superb atmosphere that game 

17 hours ago, Ghost of Clough said:

As someone who has spent all but 4 years of my life in a different county (Staffordshire), I love the poem.

Yep same - makes me feel I'm home on travelling to matches. It was very powerful in admin. My youngest also loves it and says it makes him "feel Derby" - he was born in Cambs and all his friends are glory hunting fans

Sorting out the que for beers would help, specially in the ss! People go down at 30-35mins and still the ques are a joke! 

I think its mainly what happens on the pitch tbh! When Derby attack, when mendez used to run down the wing doing step overs, a shot whizzes past the post or is saved the crowd get excited and you feel the buzz, the roar and the songs follow! Without that it falls flat!

18 minutes ago, De22Ram said:

Sorting out the que for beers would help, specially in the ss! People go down at 30-35mins and still the ques are a joke! 

I think its mainly what happens on the pitch tbh! When Derby attack, when mendez used to run down the wing doing step overs, a shot whizzes past the post or is saved the crowd get excited and you feel the buzz, the roar and the songs follow! Without that it falls flat!

Exactly this, unfortunately you can’t force an atmosphere - the best seasons at Pride Park have had circumstances surrounding it. 11 point season, 21 point deduction season and 13/14 where the team was flying. 

It seems that if we aren’t completely without expectation, being ducked by EFL/ownership or absolutely flying and smashing teams that it’s not going to be an outstanding atmosphere. As someone who has been to a lot of away games, it’s no different to any other team. It’s one of the better atmospheres in the country when all things are equal. Expectation weighs heavy on the club though. 

On 20/09/2023 at 12:00, angieram said:

Play him down the middle

And he'll score you goals

Came through the academy

He is  one of our own.

Louie, Louie, 

Louie, Louie,

Louie, Louie.

Add a few claps and there you go. Easy, this chants lark! 

Mostly that song will only be any use for 10 minutes at the end of the match. 🙄

We have two inflatable paddling pools at our house from when my wife was a childminder, and we have kept them for the grandkids to play in when they visit. But on the few times we could use them this year they have both got punctured. I trued to repair one, but it punctured again, so despite the pools starting really well pumped up they quickly go all flacid. 

At the start of each match there is generally a lot of noise generated and a batch of songs get an airing, especially in the South Stand where I stand. Sorry, sit, honestly, officer 👀!

But what we have to watch has the effect of a player running up and pulling the plug out, so the only atmosphere that can be heard is the hiss of everything being let down. ….. again.

But as well as the tripe we have to watch, the expectancy and entitlement is fuelled by us knowing just what these players are capable of, if only they were allowed to do it.

Watching players, and coaching staff who get more money stuffed into their bank accounts in a month than most fans earn in a year dishing out the excrement which they pass off as football is one hell of a de-motivator.

The atmosphere is dependant on both the fans AND the players. It us a two-way street. Yet at the end of the match the players no longer seem bothered about thanking the fans. Instead of the team, with Warne and co doing a lap of the stands together, they just drift around individually, with none of them going anywhere near the touchlines or goal-lines. Almost as if the fans no longer matter.

There is much work to do.

17 minutes ago, Anag Ram said:

I am a proud Ram
Don’t like Forest or City
I sing at Pride Park
Their grounds are just sh***y

And so what if I love Barks and Wash and Martin Waghorn?
Scoring goals from different angles
Your life is a sham til you can shout out  
I am a proud Ram 

Nurse, nurse, he's forgot his medication again................

24 minutes ago, angieram said:

How old are you? 

Genuine question. Football might not be for you if you don't enjoy any of those things.

We can’t kick fans out because they don’t like what we like . Celebration music is fun as the away fans drift off after a loss but isn’t the Poem - Living in the past like Florists ? ( Florence Nightingale and all).

We always seem to end up with the similar internal arguments about the atmosphere.  

Many don’t want to sing songs with swear words or about someone’s manhood but they continue to be the mainstay of the newly created ones or old ones still in use.
If you don’t like it you are prude or some like is normally the response. 

Many find it pointless and living far in the past to sing about an injured player from another team that was playing when most people singing the song may not have been born. 
It’s funny and you have no sense of humour is often the response. 

Singing about Forest and not about our current team when they need an uplift is seen as a waste of time by many, because they really are not watching right now, just laughing at our situation. 
You are not a true supporter if you don’t sing about them some are told. 

Well ‘you start the chants then’ is sometimes a reply to feedback. Well, some don’t have the confidence to start them, some are sat in areas where you get moaned at for doing so, some have tried only to be shot down. 

Like it or not the ground relies on the south stand (and historically occasionally the East stand until they decimated it) to get the whole ground going. Even when the football is dire.  

7 minutes ago, England Ram said:

We always seem to end up with the similar internal arguments about the atmosphere.  

Many don’t want to sing songs with swear words or about someone’s manhood but they continue to be the mainstay of the newly created ones or old ones still in use.
If you don’t like it you are prude or some like is normally the response. 

Many find it pointless and living far in the past to sing about an injured player from another team that was playing when most people singing the song may not have been born. 
It’s funny and you have no sense of humour is often the response. 

Singing about Forest and not about our current team when they need an uplift is seen as a waste of time by many, because they really are not watching right now, just laughing at our situation. 
You are not a true supporter if you don’t sing about them some are told. 

Well ‘you start the chants then’ is sometimes a reply to feedback. Well, some don’t have the confidence to start them, some are sat in areas where you get moaned at for doing so, some have tried only to be shot down. 

Like it or not the ground relies on the south stand (and historically occasionally the East stand until they decimated it) to get the whole ground going. Even when the football is dire.  

It's difficult to tell from that post if you're pro,anti or merely accepting of songs with swear words, about players manhood, about non Derby players that have had injuries or about Forest.

For me personally, none of them really bother me except for those that are particularly offensive (I don't want to reopen the Billy Sharpe debate by the way) and most are just gap fillers between the various songs in support of the team or specific players.

25 minutes ago, England Ram said:

This is the saddest thing about PP!

We actually seem to have areas where being vocal and supporting your team is frowned upon.

Since Pride park opened I've had a season ticket in the North stand, East stand, South east corner and now D block in the South stand and I've been vocal and started chants in them all and have never once had anybody either shout me down or ask me to stop.

6 minutes ago, ossieram said:

This is the saddest thing about PP!

We actually seem to have areas where being vocal and supporting your team is frowned upon.

Since Pride park opened I've had a season ticket in the North stand, East stand, South east corner and now D block in the South stand and I've been vocal and started chants in them all and have never once had anybody either shout me down or ask me to stop.

Feels like a bit of a contradiction. In one breath you’re saying we seem to have areas where being vocal and supporting your team is frowned upon but then detail the various places you’ve sat and never once had anyone ask you to stop. 🤷🏻

For what it’s worth, apart from a few idiots, I really don’t think anybody frowns upon people supporting the team but some might have a view on how you articulate your support. The only thing I don’t like where I sit (halfway along the East Stand) is a chap that sits behind me that will, from time to time, shout out abuse full of expletives. There are no kids in the vicinity so I just put up with it. If I did ever take one of my grandkids with me to a game (unlikely as they live near Manchester) though I wouldn’t hesitate in asking him to tone it down a little but that’s because, apart from these occasional outbursts, he is OK and we will often comment to each other on incidents.

The first half against Pompy was the most bored I've been at a football match. If there had been a couple of early goals and lots of chances it had the potential for the best atmosphere of the season (with the Pompy support).

The football has been flat at home this season, hence the flat atmosphere.

I think the atmoshpere was brilliant the season we went down. Good Friday (evening) against Fullham was as good as I can remember, including the Leeds game at the BBG the season we went up. 86-87?

An electric atmosphere is created by the reasonable anticipation and expectation of good and exiting things happening. It is difficult to get exited when what is expected is at best mid table mediocrity and it is unreasonable to expect the crowd to maintain enthusiasm when what they see before them is so often poor.