Atmosphere at Pride Park

simmoram1995

Its mostly the standard of football. The fans need sommat to feed on and go very quiet when we look poor. The players probably need a lift, but without doing anything inspiring ain't gonna get it, which results in a gloomy cycle where the team get more nervy and the fans get more and more restless.

There's been too many games recently (Fleetwood last season a stand out) where with the best will in the world you would struggle to get remotely excited, and can only gawp on in disbelief.

We can be a mardy bunch sometimes granted, but if the team can't play up at home it is no wonder the atmosphere is stale.

1 hour ago, Mucker1884 said:

I'd love to get up and join in, but being a mere aisle away from the Family Stand, any industrial language and/or referencing of oversized genitalia is somewhat frowned upon.

That just leaves me with "Come on Derby".
I can't keep that up all game! 

👀  

You don't have to follow what the south stand sing and you could always be inventive and make songs up.

The popside and ossie end used to sing different songs and then the C stand would fire up with something,  even the Normo would get going.

When the club was against the wall and we had a siege mentality it was less about the football and more about solidarity, making a point. Us against the world.

Now things have calmed down off the pitch the fans need to see something on the pitch to get behind. The style of football is currently absolutely dreadful and it saps the enthusiasm from the crowd. It's not hard to get Pride Park going, but Warne and this team are finding a way to make it hard.

Edited by JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta

Maybe us supporters could do a little test.

One week we could keep silent, apart from groans when someone misplaces a pass or makes a mistake.

Another week we could sing from beginning to end, only offering unconditional support, cheers and clapping.

With a small sample size, it would be difficult to draw any firm conclusions on how it impacts results, but the supporting one definitely sounds more fun. 

Maybe running the test over a full season might show that supporting the team helps improves results? Might be worth doing as presumabley we all want the team to do well?

51 minutes ago, ossieram said:

You don't have to follow what the south stand sing and you could always be inventive and make songs up.

The popside and ossie end used to sing different songs and then the C stand would fire up with something,  even the Normo would get going.

Oh, I'm well aware.  👍
I served my apprenticeship in gobbylittleshitism in the Ossie End... and away terraces county wide... during the latter '70's.
I may not have composed many ditties myself, but I sure as hell started (familiar favourites) more than my fair share... Including that infamous episode on Grimsby's terrace when my voice decided to break, halfway through my opening line solo of "Oh when the Rams go marching in..."!

Oh, how they laughed!   🤓

... I think the last one I ever started (on my own) was the Idiakez chant after he skied his PO peno.  It was like I was 17 again, as it (eventually!) rang around PPS (just before my lungs burst!)  Was quite an emotional moment, in all honesty, after all those years!   🤣

😁🍻🐏

So I’m a season ticket holder for many years in the SS upper, and always try and join in. I’m not having a moan just a few observations from Saturday.

For the first time in a while work commitments meant I couldn’t arrive until 2:55 at the earliest. On my walk from town I was surprised how many were still walking to the ground. Many still in the pubs, The roads were packed solid with fans. On arrival outside SS so many people were still outside making no effort to enter the turstile. Totally understandable as its not very exciting at the moment.

Once inside the the concours was full, with a bit of atmosphere. Fans still coming up to seats 10 minutes after kick off. Thus reducing the early atmosphere from the stand. Some went back downstairs on 30 minutes and didn’t come back till we got the penalty. 

I fully understand why fans are in no rush to enter the stadium and be in the stand. The football is so boring. If we could just make that little more effort and get behind the players more in the 1st half it may help them to be more ‘creative’ I can only dream about a better style of football .

5 hours ago, TheRamOfSwad said:

Sack the awful bar staff who don't know a Lager from a bitter

One match last season I asked for 2 half pints of bitter and I got asked if I'd like it in 1 glass... Jesus Christ 

Also could they not pre pour pints for fans arriving at half time so you can just tap your card and have time to drink your pint, queues of people everywhere... it's not rocket science 

If they put pints and tellies in the toilets you wouldn’t miss a thing.

1 hour ago, ariotofmyown said:

One week we could keep silent, apart from groans when someone misplaces a pass or makes a mistake.

Another week we could sing from beginning to end, only offering unconditional support, cheers and clapping.

With a small sample size, it would be difficult to draw any firm conclusions on how it impacts results, but the supporting one definitely sounds more fun. 

Maybe running the test over a full season might show that supporting the team helps improves results? Might be worth doing as presumabley we all want the team to do well?

Can we do the one where we sing from start to end first just to see how many bother to join in.

6 hours ago, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

The atmoshpere is down to the football. There is virtually nothing to cheer or get excited about. If we were consistantly playing good exciting atacking football the crowd noise would be fantastic. 

Do you actually believe that though? I can remember going to matches way before Warne was in charge and we were playing far more attractive football but the atmosphere was like a mausoleum in the ground. 

As a general point I also wondered whether it was chicken or egg at football matches - do the crowd need to get behind their team and spur them on or do the players on the pitch need to do this to get the crowd going?

I always thought that is was a 6 and two 3s but definitely not one or the other in isolation. 

3 hours ago, ossieram said:

The atmosphere is flat because the majority of Derby fans can't be bothered at home games.

Look around you in the east, west and north stands and you'll find the majority don't sing once SBW has finished and the South Stand noise is basically made by those at the top of D and E blocks whilst the rest look at their phones. 

The atmosphere at PP was good for a while during the admin period and improved for a while after the takeover,  but let's not kid ourselves that it's anything above average for the majority of the time. 

We either need to be a play off semi final or some other big occasion to get most fans off their arse.

Most fans would get off their arse as you put it, if there was a lot more passing and in front of goal action to cheer.

53 minutes ago, rsmini said:

... On arrival outside SS so many people were still outside making no effort to enter the turstile...

Do you have fat fingers mate?  You missed the letter "d" out of turdstile (as it should now be referred as!)  🤣

🎵 We're shoite, and we know we are!  🐏

32 minutes ago, Kathcairns said:

Most fans would get off their arse as you put it, if there was a lot more passing and in front of goal action to cheer.

No they wouldn't. They stand and clap along to any poxy goal music, then sit and clap along to whatever is being sung and then go quiet again. 

2 hours ago, ariotofmyown said:

Crazy idea. Why would we want to risk a negative impact by keeping silent apart from the groans (doesn't sound like fun to me) just to prove a point? Surely it would be better if we all just continued to with the widely held belief that singing etc has a positive impact and just all do our best (we all know it's easy when the football is dire) to sing and cheer.

57 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

Crazy idea. Why would we want to risk a negative impact by keeping silent apart from the groans (doesn't sound like fun to me) just to prove a point? Surely it would be better if we all just continued to with the widely held belief that singing etc has a positive impact and just all do our best (we all know it's easy when the football is dire) to sing and cheer.

I wasn't been serious. It was so people realised "support"ers could make a difference.

Name 5 songs that we have as a club and I'll give you 

2 songs about players tackle 

1 song about being deducted points 2 years ago

2 songs that 10 people know the words to

It's embarrassing. We've had an almost complete turnover in players, but none of them get a halfway original song. That's why we have no atmosphere, we don't like our players enough to even steal another clubs song for them

9 minutes ago, Ramchop said:

Name 5 songs that we have as a club and I'll give you 

2 songs about players tackle 

1 song about being deducted points 2 years ago

2 songs that 10 people know the words to

It's embarrassing. We've had an almost complete turnover in players, but none of them get a halfway original song. That's why we have no atmosphere, we don't like our players enough to even steal another clubs song for them

How many players in the league have songs about them do you think? 

It's not embarrassing and there often is an atmosphere it's just recently there have been quiet spells (probably lasting a little longer than we're used to). We really aren't any different to the majority of other clubs when it comes to atmosphere IMO.