Atmosphere at Pride Park

simmoram1995

I turn up with a metaphorical smile on my face, but I ain't exactly buzzin'.
It ain't buzzin' on the approach to, or around the outer perimeters of, the stadium, 10 mins before KO.
I'm happy to sit and watch, applaud a good move, cheer a goal or a close effort.  I even occasionally go "Ooh" for a near miss.

But I don't think I've started a NE rendition of "Come on Derby" all season.  Even after going a goal down.

Something needs to click, for us all to be buzzin' again, I reckon.
Maybe we're not far off that click?  Next month?  Easter?  Not quite this season, but hopefully next?
Who knows when it will happen, but we need that click.  We need to have something happen (on the pitch) that brings back the belief.  We ain't there yet.

For about 60 minutes on Thursday I could feel myself sitting arms folded, cross-legged and I suspect with a face like I was sucking a lemon! When I met my pal on the concourse after we just shrugged at each other. I feel like I’m living off scraps of what this team is capable of - the 3 nice little triangles on the left edge of Lincoln’s box in the first half, seeing Wilson do his stuff. I didn’t even jump out of my seat when he scored the second though. Yes we’re winning and that’s what will get us promoted, but Christ it’s a hard watch a lot of the time!

3 minutes ago, DiggerB said:

For about 60 minutes on Thursday I could feel myself sitting arms folded, cross-legged and I suspect with a face like I was sucking a lemon! When I met my pal on the concourse after we just shrugged at each other. I feel like I’m living off scraps of what this team is capable of - the 3 nice little triangles on the left edge of Lincoln’s box in the first half, seeing Wilson do his stuff. I didn’t even jump out of my seat when he scored the second though. Yes we’re winning and that’s what will get us promoted, but Christ it’s a hard watch a lot of the time!

That's the problem right there.
Ain't things never improving, while guys like you are allowed to sit.  Get theesen on thy bloody feet, yooth!   👀

15 hours ago, Chellaston Ram said:

When are the South Stand going to get behind the team again, I’m in the North Stand and most the time it sounds like only about 30 people singing. It’s now time to improve the atmosphere 

I don't think the atmosphere is that bad.   I'm in the South and it's ok.   This is all seater stadiums for you - you'll get the odd season where something like a promotion or a points deduction will just get everyone behind the team but for most of the last 30 years this is what the atmosphere is.    F**est have supposedly had a good atmosphere under Cooper but now that guy with the connection has gone and they are no longer the new boys in the Prem it'll soon go back to how it was. 

26 minutes ago, trappatoni said:

I don't think the atmosphere is that bad.   I'm in the South and it's ok.   This is all seater stadiums for you - you'll get the odd season where something like a promotion or a points deduction will just get everyone behind the team but for most of the last 30 years this is what the atmosphere is.    F**est have supposedly had a good atmosphere under Cooper but now that guy with the connection has gone and they are no longer the new boys in the Prem it'll soon go back to how it was. 

9 minutes ago, May Contain Nuts said:

That myth has well and truly been busted.

Before an extended absence because of kids I was an East Stand Upper ST holder and we could always get a decent song going, even sitting down!

I’m south stand near SW corner.  This season, some fans in SW corner have regularly started chants that have got plenty in “my” section of SS to join in.  They started with “south stand, south stand give us a song” but when that didn’t work they picked up the mantle themselves.  

Nobody else has mentioned this, so perhaps the sound doesn’t carry; but it’s to their credit that some SW fans are taking the initiative.

6 hours ago, Gerry Daly said:

It’s the football. Simple as that. 

I think this is what it boils down to. It feels functional at the minute, very like the Gary Rowett playoff season where we'd win plenty but you often wondered if we really deserved to win & whole passages of the game would be played with nothing happening at all. Can't argue with the results at present but it clearly isn't engaging a section of the fanbase enough to get passionate, hence the lack of noise. I've also noticed it away from home - most notably away at Carlisle where despite winning, there was a lot of discontent & boredom vocalised at how we were playing from the younger, noisier element at the top of the stand.

Another factor is probably the calibre of teams we're playing though - after the novelty of playing lower tier clubs last season, the realisation of our level being the likes of Wycombe at home with their 400 fans singing all manner of tinpot garbage to provoke a reaction is starting to hit home. It's just not very exciting playing these teams & think we're all craving a return to our natural level asap.

In terms of trying to improve atmosphere against clubs with small away followings, I don't know how feasible it is to start opening up some of the unsold away sections to home fans on a match by match basis. Feels a waste of revenue having 500 fans taking a 3000 allocated area & South Stand/East Stand can feel quite far from away fans when they bring so few. Some new faces in that area might liven things up a bit too.

19 hours ago, Chellaston Ram said:

When are the South Stand going to get behind the team again, I’m in the North Stand and most the time it sounds like only about 30 people singing. It’s now time to improve the atmosphere 

I was in the South Stand and it was really loud a lot of the time, and has been noticeably louder since safe standing was done, not that modifications have changed how many stand - we all do.

53 minutes ago, ossieram said:

Yeah, why aren't league 1 Derby with their league 1 players playing like Arsenal or Man City?

I see your argument, and I see where you're coming from, but Arsenal and City are playing the other best 17 teams in the country (and Forest).

We're playing teams like Wycombe, and barely having a chance on goal. I don't agree that we're anywhere near the levels we can reach with this squad. Paul Warne also agrees, if you've seen his latest pre-match interview for boxing day.

Something just isn't clicking. There's just no joy in watching this team at the moment. The results have much improved, but it'd be nice to look forward to the football, rather than just hoping for a result. Hopefully that changes soon.

I also don't buy for a second that you can't play decent football at this level. Plenty of teams have in the past.

Edited by oodledoodle
spelling

On 23/12/2023 at 13:22, Bessie1 said:

I’m south stand near SW corner.  This season, some fans in SW corner have regularly started chants that have got plenty in “my” section of SS to join in.  They started with “south stand, south stand give us a song” but when that didn’t work they picked up the mantle themselves.  

Nobody else has mentioned this, so perhaps the sound doesn’t carry; but it’s to their credit that some SW fans are taking the initiative.

Yes it's noticeable where I sit/stand in South lower.   

On 23/12/2023 at 17:36, ossieram said:

Yeah, why aren't league 1 Derby with their league 1 players playing like Arsenal or Man City?

And if it is the football….the Etihad is not exactly known for the best atmosphere in the Premier League, whilst widely regarded as playing the best football.

I think expectations play a huge part, Man City fans expect to roll teams over, likewise being top 6 in League 1 for us is expected. We’re not doing anything “special”.

If we were steamrolling and 15pts clear at the top, with the same football being played, things might be slightly better.

Looking back at the McClaren era, we went from mid table wilderness to f’in hell, we’re going up here and it was out of nowhere. It was exciting, we never expected that to happen.

Under Rooney, the world was against us, we didn’t roll over and accept it was over, the team fought and gave us a glimmer of hope, that got the fans more vocal.

I think using Warne and his football is a poor excuse in all honesty.

2 hours ago, David said:

And if it is the football….the Etihad is not exactly known for the best atmosphere in the Premier League, whilst widely regarded as playing the best football.

I think expectations play a huge part, Man City fans expect to roll teams over, likewise being top 6 in League 1 for us is expected. We’re not doing anything “special”.

If we were steamrolling and 15pts clear at the top, with the same football being played, things might be slightly better.

Looking back at the McClaren era, we went from mid table wilderness to f’in hell, we’re going up here and it was out of nowhere. It was exciting, we never expected that to happen.

Under Rooney, the world was against us, we didn’t roll over and accept it was over, the team fought and gave us a glimmer of hope, that got the fans more vocal.

I think using Warne and his football is a poor excuse in all honesty.

I think alot of it starts from the management/the football. Paul warne is too nice that its just boring sometimes it takes abit of aggression to get the fans going, even from the players on the pitch abit of fight! Its why it worked under rooney as everyone were fighting for each other, and if everyone is fighting theres that feeling where it gets the fans going

Edited by Dcfcsr92
Didnt finish

On 25/12/2023 at 03:04, Dcfcsr92 said:

I think alot of it starts from the management/the football. Paul warne is too nice that its just boring sometimes it takes abit of aggression to get the fans going, even from the players on the pitch abit of fight! Its why it worked under rooney as everyone were fighting for each other, and if everyone is fighting theres that feeling where it gets the fans going

On my way to Wigan . Atmosphere in our away end will be  superb . We don’t need a drum.