The Paul Warne Poll

Day

The Paul Warne Poll  

612 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

4 hours ago, Andicis said:

And my point is that neither you nor I have a clue where we would be, so it's not worth discussing as it's all conjecture and opinion. I can just as easily say Rosenior would have us in a worse position, my opinion would also be complete conjecture but it's just as valid as yours.

i dont have issue with this comment i agree, but our vision was better under LR and it gave you something to look towards. 

my issue at the moment is we could all see this coming based on what we have been doing ever since warne arrived

2 hours ago, Rammy03 said:

It shows that it is possible to play good football under Warne as we did it in that good run last season. Those who want him out just pretend it never happened. 

It also demonstrates how stubborn Warne is being at the moment trying to force this horrendous 3-5-2 hoofball system he wants to play that we quite simply do not have the players for. Last season our best football came from playing 4-2-3-1, then we had a decent period towards the end of the season playing a 3-4-2-1 in a similar system to what Plymouth and Ipswich were using. The only reason Warne tried these new formations in the first place was because tried to implement his 3-5-2 early on and we put in some awful performances against City u21s, Port Vale, Ipswich and Exeter.

We played some decent stuff at times last season but we also played some pretty atrocious football at times and if we're honest, without McGoldrick we'd have probably finished midtable at best. After Portsmouth we have a fairly decent run of fixtures to build some momentum and put this fairly poor start behind us. If Warne is still refusing to budge from this 3-5-2 hoofball system and results haven't improved then I'm not sure how even the most staunch Warne supporter can make a case for him to keep his job.

6 hours ago, RoyMac5 said:

Who is our luxury player then?

I agree with the balance, but last match 119 passes with 56% accuracy. Poor both halves. Not much balance there.

Wasn't really saying we have one - was just doing my usual 'Kinky was over-rated' thing! 😉

However, if pressed I'd say I'm most disappointed by Hourihane. Doesn't demonstrate much ex-Premiership player quality for me. I just don't see anything there that stands out - his set-pieces are pretty good but other than that... Not slating him as such, just surprised at his career given what we see. 

I'd also add - I love a flair player. Loved Wanchope, Ace, Baiano and Eranio who, for us, could be regarded as a flair player. And a playmaker. And a tactical genius. Anyway, I must stop being that old bloke that goes on about players from the past where half the forum sigh at oldies going on about the past.

1 hour ago, DCFC Kicks said:

You can't just say: "just fell away towards the end". Why did they fall away? We had a somewhat settled formation last season but Warnes ripped it up this season. Two of our most exiting players, Mendez-Laing and Barkhuizen don't fit anywhere in this formation.

I'm not sure. Bird injury? The team ran out of steam? Who knows. I agree we need to switch to a back 4. It gets our best players in their best positions.

5 hours ago, lrm14 said:

It also demonstrates how stubborn Warne is being at the moment trying to force this horrendous 3-5-2 hoofball system he wants to play that we quite simply do not have the players for. Last season our best football came from playing 4-2-3-1, then we had a decent period towards the end of the season playing a 3-4-2-1 in a similar system to what Plymouth and Ipswich were using. The only reason Warne tried these new formations in the first place was because tried to implement his 3-5-2 early on and we put in some awful performances against City u21s, Port Vale, Ipswich and Exeter.

We played some decent stuff at times last season but we also played some pretty atrocious football at times and if we're honest, without McGoldrick we'd have probably finished midtable at best. After Portsmouth we have a fairly decent run of fixtures to build some momentum and put this fairly poor start behind us. If Warne is still refusing to budge from this 3-5-2 hoofball system and results haven't improved then I'm not sure how even the most staunch Warne supporter can make a case for him to keep his job.

Let's just sack him then...like the 17 previous managers...that worked didn't it....

2 hours ago, BriggRam said:

There was 1 move at the end of the game maybe in injury time where we played quick pass and move football and we ripped Bolton apart....i said at the time to my lad....why on earth are we not doing this earlier, we have the players to play that way

I remember that move. It was a thing of beauty. Then it got to Collins 

On 05/09/2023 at 00:49, DCFC Kicks said:

I'm including the end of last season as well. We only won 6 of the last 18 games. In my opinion the style of play has gradually regressed over that period up to now as well. 

If Liam didn't sign McGoldrick, Warne would've been sacked(if we can afford to sack him). 

He's had one transfer window and his recruitment hasn't been as good as Liam managed to do through his personal contacts alone. 

Your happy to give him over half the season? Even if it means we may have to write off another season because of it? 

I am not sure I agree that there was such a regression. We played well at times but often would shoot ourselves in the foot, have no luck or not be able to sustain that quality of play over 90 minutes. We played some of our best football of the whole season v Plymouth, Peterborough and Wednesday away, for instance. We just couldn’t hold our nerve at key moments.

If Rosenior hadn’t signed McGoldrick, he would have signed another player. Who knows how well or how badly that player would have been suited to a Warne team? It’s impossible to say.

How do you measure the recruitment by Warne against recruitment by Rosenior? Rosenior’s signings have been here for a year or more. Warne’s signings have been here for six league games or in many cases fewer. Surely a better comparison can be made in April or May next year?

I think Warne needs until the end of the season. A whole season with his own squad of players and two transfer windows to bring in the players he wants seems fair to me. 

In the summer, there will be the opportunity to bring in someone new if we feel Warne has underachieved, and from there a new manager and the club can work without the restrictions of the business plan looming large.

How will the season be a write off? Unless we are 10+ points from the play-offs, which we are not currently and unlikely to be, we’ll have something to play for right until the very end.

43 minutes ago, Jourdan said:

I am not sure I agree that there was such a regression. We played well at times but often would shoot ourselves in the foot, have no luck or not be able to sustain that quality of play over 90 minutes. We played some of our best football of the whole season v Plymouth, Peterborough and Wednesday away, for instance. We just couldn’t hold our nerve at key moments.

If Rosenior hadn’t signed McGoldrick, he would have signed another player. Who knows how well or how badly that player would have been suited to a Warne team? It’s impossible to say.

How do you measure the recruitment by Warne against recruitment by Rosenior? Rosenior’s signings have been here for a year or more. Warne’s signings have been here for six league games or in many cases fewer. Surely a better comparison can be made in April or May next year?

I think Warne needs until the end of the season. A whole season with his own squad of players and two transfer windows to bring in the players he wants seems fair to me. 

In the summer, there will be the opportunity to bring in someone new if we feel Warne has underachieved, and from there a new manager and the club can work without the restrictions of the business plan looming large.

How will the season be a write off? Unless we are 10+ points from the play-offs, which we are not currently and unlikely to be, we’ll have something to play for right until the very end.

Top post mate

On 05/09/2023 at 21:31, Terry Hennessy said:

Let's just sack him then...like the 17 previous managers...that worked didn't it....

That was Mel calling shots previously, what did he actually do that proved successful?

I would trust Clowes to learn from this mistake and get it right next time.

Warne will not succeed here, he will be gone by the seasons end, we wither act now and hope we have a quick resurgence, or we wait and it's a total rebuild again next year..2nd option and I feel we could be in this division for a fair few years.

I appreciate I am stating this as fact without proof..I am that confident.

Edited by MackworthRamIsGod

1 hour ago, Jourdan said:

We regressed in the simple fact that we started winning less games. That doesn't happen without a reason. To put it down to bad luck is just a cop out to me.

You can't just say "he would have signed another player", like McGoldrick was any old player. He was a one-off. Don't pretend any other player could have done what he did easily.

I'm on about the calibre of player. Hourihane, McGoldrick, NML, all have Prem experience. The majority of our transfers this season are from L1 or lower Champ teams they couldn't get into. Warne obviously doesn't have as good connections as Rooney or Rosenior, and I'll bet a lot of players didn't want to sign for us based on the style of play as well. Ok, yes, lets wait and see how Warne's signings get on, but there must be a reason these players were allowed to leave these lower Champ/L1 clubs.

You're not considering how long it would take to reverse what Warne is doing to the squad if we did change him in the summer. If he's staying 100+ games, this brutish style will be so engrained, it may take another season or two to change again. Will you be on here again saying we need to give that new manager 2 more transfer windows as well? how long will it go on?

We might not get another chance like this season. The teams are comparatively weak compared to recent L1 seasons, especially with Wigan and Reading getting points deductions.

Of course this season could be a right-off. Ipswich and Plymouth got 98 and 101 points. Ipswich only lost 4 games all season.
We've already lost 3. We shouldn't be settling for the play-offs

47 minutes ago, deanoakaram4life said:

I personally think that we should give Paul Warne at least 3 of his allotted 4 year contract. It’s a monumental task that he has taken on. The glaring amount of players out of contract next year mean another rebuild and don’t forget, these players( Mendez lang, Hourihane, smith etc) are only getting older! 

Are you sure you are on the right forum? Your post is sensible and not calling for instant gratification.