The Paul Warne Poll

Day

The Paul Warne Poll  

612 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

48 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

You okay Paul? We get the message, but you know that football isn't always about running hard, let the ball do the work. Yours, G. Kinkladze.

Kinkaldze. The definition of 'luxury player'. You might get away with one Kinky in a squad but you need legs around him. Always has been the case, always will be.

Asanovic, who was also a luxury player (but far better than Kinky IMO), was at his best when DPFG and Carsley were running around after him. It's about balance. Which is something a few posters here don't have...

It's too early to be slating PW. We're 6 games in with a tight budget, lots of new players and they need a bedding-in period. However, if we don't see some improvements in the way we're playing by Xmas then perhaps we can start to be a bit more vocal about it.

Balance ya see...

1 minute ago, Raich Carter said:

Kinkaldze. The definition of 'luxury player'. You might get away with one Kinky in a squad but you need legs around him. Always has been the case, always will be.

Asanovic, who was also a luxury player (but far better than Kinky IMO), was at his best when DPFG and Carsley were running around after him. It's about balance. Which is something a few posters here don't have...

It's too early to be slating PW. We're 6 games in with a tight budget, lots of new players and they need a bedding-in period. However, if we don't see some improvements in the way we're playing by Xmas then perhaps we can start to be a bit more vocal about it.

Balance ya see...

Who is our luxury player then?

I agree with the balance, but last match 119 passes with 56% accuracy. Poor both halves. Not much balance there.

I'm amused by posters saying "6 games is too early' as if Warne was appointed in the summer.

Obviously this season is more 'his team" but he did have most of last season.

Still no sign of a pattern of play.

He's got the next 5 games fir me.

Hull are 6th.

Edited by sage

2 hours ago, Archied said:

I have mixed feeling with them , at times they are great to watch and at others they are frustrating as hell ,wanting to score the perfect goal or walk the ball in ,

for me the problem with obsessive possession footbal is players can and do too easily fall into the mindset trap of just keeping the ball , strolling round and it can become a real snooze fest 

Pretty much sums up what I think of Man City. When possession becomes the most important aspect of a team's game then it can be very sleep inducing indeed; such as what was served up under Clement and Cocu and to some extent under Rooney and Rosenior.

I'm not saying the football is brilliant under Warne. It quite clearly isn't [yet]. My hope is that it will get better and I'm prepared to be patient and give Warne time.

3 minutes ago, Yoxoram said:

Pretty much sums up what I think of Man City. When possession becomes the most important aspect of a team's game then it can be very sleep inducing indeed; such as what was served up under Clement and Cocu and to some extent under Rooney and Rosenior.

I'm not saying the football is brilliant under Warne. It quite clearly isn't [yet]. My hope is that it will get better and I'm prepared to be patient and give Warne time.

Yeah I'd hate us to play like Man City 

5 minutes ago, Yoxoram said:

If you think Man City are playing football such as what was served up under Clement and Cocu and to some extent under Rooney and Rosenior then you really have lost the plot.

9 minutes ago, Kokosnuss said:

I like the way he's been allowed to bring in 8-10 new first team players more suited to his style of football is now used as an excuse for performances because he needs time for them to, um, settle in and learn how to play his style of football.

I think that would be a reasonable excuse if we looked like a team that hadn't quite gelled yet.  It's always going to take time for players and managers to get to know each other's games, no matter how good they are.  But I don't think we look like that at all, I think we look like a ragtag bunch of players with no idea what they're supposed to be doing.  Normally in that situation, you'd probably see a manager trying a bunch of stuff and hoping something started working, but I don't even think we're doing that, just doing the same old thing over and over again.

2 minutes ago, sage said:

Yeah I'd hate us to play like Man City 

Totally missing my point. We are not City and don't have the class of player to gloss over the boring bits of possession football. I want to see exciting fast paced football and there are times City do that even within their possession game when they move the ball quickly even if not always going forward. But there are other times when after 20 passes they are pretty much in the same area of the pitch as on the first pass of the sequence. Sorry, but then, I find their play a bit meh. There has already been one game this season when I stopped watching because City were boring me. I am not a City supporter so I can do that. I would never stop watching a Rams game no matter how bad we were because I support my team. Hell, I even chanted Rooney's name (something I never thought I could) because he was at Derby.

City play like they do because most teams park the bus against them. They have to move the ball side to side, forwards and backwards to try and find the gaps. Might seem boring but anytime they play a team going toe to toe, they pick them apart beautifully. 

Vulcan Ram was saying the types of questions he’d wish Ed Dawes asked of Warne…. After Saturday, I’d just wish he’d asked a very open question… why do we struggle to put more than three passes together?

Edited by HorsforthRam
Typo

21 minutes ago, HorsforthRam said:

City play like they do because most teams park the bus against them. They have to move the ball side to side, forwards and backwards to try and find the gaps. Might seem boring but anytime they play a team going toe to toe, they pick them apart beautifully. 

Vulcan Ram was saying the types of questions he’d wish Ed Dawes asked of Warne…. After Saturday, I’d just wish he’d asked a very open question… why do we struggle to put more than three passes together?

This final point links with something I raised on Saturday. There’s a fans forum soon, as there appears to be growing concerns from some of the fan base  with the direction of the team on the pitch is anyone attending that forum who is willing and able to put those concerns across in a constructive and articulate manner? Not because Clowes or Pearce or Warne or whoever is in attendance will wave a magic wand and fix it, or give a fix all answer to such a point/question, but that to me seems like an ideal forum to channel those concerns. It’s pretty much a direct conduit to those in charge of the club. 

Edited by Caerphilly Ram

2 hours ago, alram said:

But it’s the vision.

the style we were trying to implement and a clear plan of how to do so & buying players that would fit that plan.

something to look forward too and view gradually improve. I don’t think it’s relevant what it looked like at the time LR was canned because it was never going to be the finished product after signing a hatful of players and not given enough time to see it develop anyway

what we have at the minute offers none of those things

the point in general is we would be in a better position now both physically and mentally if we had followed the vision and not thrown it in the bin for god knows what we are doing now

And my point is that neither you nor I have a clue where we would be, so it's not worth discussing as it's all conjecture and opinion. I can just as easily say Rosenior would have us in a worse position, my opinion would also be complete conjecture but it's just as valid as yours.

9 hours ago, Rammy03 said:

To be fair whoever Rosenior brought in would look a good signing because we didn't have anyone on the books in the first place. Some of the signings would have been lined up when Rooney was here, I don't think it was all on Roseniors 'personal contacts'

Fine, Rooney and Rosenior. It doesn't change my point. This transfer window hasn't been as good as last summer despite having less financial restrictions.

You can't argue the likes of Nelson, Ward, Elder, Wilson, Fornah, Washington etc. are as good as NML, Hourihane, Wildsmith, McGoldrick, Roberts, Barhuizen etc.

3 minutes ago, DCFC Kicks said:

Fine, Rooney and Rosenior. It doesn't change my point. This transfer window hasn't been as good as last summer despite having less financial restrictions.

You can't argue the likes of Nelson, Ward, Elder, Wilson, Fornah, Washington etc. are as good as NML, Hourihane, Wildsmith, McGoldrick, Roberts, Barhuizen etc.

Roberts !

7 minutes ago, DCFC Kicks said:

Change the tactics and this summers' signings will look better than they currently do. We'll also get more out of the existing players too.

Just now, Ghost of Clough said:

Change the tactics and this summers' signings will look better than they currently do. We'll also get more out of the existing players too.

Don’t you think Warne knows this. 

He has said Bird is on his way back as is Sibley and Barks. 
Add the Sunderland lad and the other new lads integrating and things will be much more promising. 

1 hour ago, sage said:

I'm amused by posters saying "6 games is too early' as if Warne was appointed in the summer.

Obviously this season is more 'his team" but he did have most of last season.

Still no sign of a pattern of play.

He's got the next 5 games fir me.

Hull are 6th.

Hull have also spent considerably this season, were lucky to beat Leicester if you're an xG nerd. Plus out of interest 2 matches in some of the fans were starting to turn on Rosie for his style. Fair play he's turned it around since but not sure it does anybody any good comparing managers.

For all we know we could get rid of PW and he could get another L1 team promoted at our expense.

2 hours ago, Raich Carter said:

Balance ya see...

DPFG…

post of the week. Made me chuckle.