The Paul Warne Poll

Day

The Paul Warne Poll  

612 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

18 minutes ago, oodledoodle said:

My god, is that the level we're at? Where people are using games against Accrington effing Stanley to argue that we played good football? The team relegated to league two, with an average crowd of under 3,000 and a budget lower than my weekly shop at Lidl? Found our level then haven't we.

But aren’t we judging the likes of Plymouth , Bolton , ipswitch ect ect ect against the like of Accrington Stanley ,,, come on let’s at least be open handed and fair with these comparisons, one of these teams you mention / aspire to be like blow away the likes of Accrington Stanley and they are the new Man City , we do the same and it’s.    Ffs it’s only Accrington Stanley 🤷🏻‍♂️

15 minutes ago, Archied said:

Ok at this point last season would you say Mc goldrick was a better transfer than waghorn ? at this point spearman v Nelson ? Do I have to go on ? Or do you accept we need to give these players the same time each ie a season to judge rather than the first 6 games ?

The players deserve time. The manager has had time, so it's fair for judgement to be made on him.

2 minutes ago, oodledoodle said:

The players deserve time. The manager has had time, so it's fair for judgement to be made on him.

Let’s be clear , im just explaining with these replies and question s why I’m not ready to write warne off yet , I’m not trying to persuade those who have made they’re mind up already , simple fact is we could go on a great run and get promoted or he could be gone by Christmas, that’s the way football is and for some of us it one of the reasons we love it

4 minutes ago, DCFC Kicks said:

Ok, I'll change my original sentence. We occasionally played well against teams like Accrington who finished 2nd bottom, when we relied on the individual brilliance of McGoldrick. Look at how much we've regressed from this way of playing anyway.

So Bolton were bottom of the league as well? And let's not pretend our good football was just individual brilliance. It wasn't. There are patterns of play there. Where it has all gone I don't know but I believe it will be back this season.

1 hour ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Change the tactics and this summers' signings will look better than they currently do. We'll also get more out of the existing players too.

Yes, but he isn’t going to when all you hear him go on about is RWB in nearly every conversation and him wanting 3 centre half’s because two of them can’t defend properly 

To those who say we can’t afford to sack Warne, why on earth would we appoint someone we financially cannot sack? That would be an incredibly reckless and risky decision and something that a football club shouldn’t ever do, imagine if he had us sat in the relegation zone and we had to keep him because we’d put ourselves in that position, it’s insanity, there’s no chance we literally cannot get rid of him, not that I’m saying we should 

13 minutes ago, Rammy03 said:

So Bolton were bottom of the league as well? And let's not pretend our good football was just individual brilliance. It wasn't. There are patterns of play there. Where it has all gone I don't know but I believe it will be back this season.

This was mentioned in some thread or other. There are occasional outbreaks of football, sometimes for the majority of a half or so, only sometimes mind. But as was suggested it seems to be inspite of the way Warne sets them up not because of. 

32 minutes ago, Rammy03 said:

It shows that it is possible to play good football under Warne as we did it in that good run last season. Those who want him out just pretend it never happened. 

If you count not losing as playing good football then yes. What happened there then btw?

17 minutes ago, JustOneBiblicalKazim said:

To those who say we can’t afford to sack Warne, why on earth would we appoint someone we financially cannot sack? That would be an incredibly reckless and risky decision and something that a football club shouldn’t ever do, imagine if he had us sat in the relegation zone and we had to keep him because we’d put ourselves in that position, it’s insanity, there’s no chance we literally cannot get rid of him, not that I’m saying we should 

I'm sure we have a contingency in place if we needed to fire Warne, but fans calling for Warne's head will be the first to moan when we have nothing to spend in January because we sacked Warne.

29 minutes ago, Rammy03 said:

It's gone with Mcgoldrick,  his touch and linkup play along with Mendez Laing down the wing were all we had for creativity really.

49 minutes ago, Rammy03 said:

I will concede that there were glimpses of good football last season, but you have to admit McGoldrick was a large part of that. 

But your last part is the key point of my argument. Where has this gone?  You believe good football will come back this season. On what basis? To me its going the opposite way so far. Why has he persisted with this dull 2 up front system? I just find it so boring and backwards. Its worse than last season which is the worst thing. Judging from his comments as well, he seems quite content with the style of play as well.

4 minutes ago, DCFC Kicks said:

I will concede that there were glimpses of good football last season, but you have to admit McGoldrick was a large part of that. 

But your last part is the key point of my argument. Where has this gone?  You believe good football will come back this season. On what basis? To me its going the opposite way so far. Why has he persisted with this dull 2 up front system? I just find it so boring and backwards. Its worse than last season which is the worst thing. Judging from his comments as well, he seems quite content with the style of play as well.

On the basis that we saw it last season combined with his impressive track record in this division. If last season was that terrible then I wouldn't be so optimistic but I thought we were a decent side that just fell away towards the end. We have a very capable squad that is not settled at the moment. As soon as we find a settled side and formation I believe we will improve. I think Warne knows deep down that it's not good enough at the moment. There is no way that he is content with our style because you compare it to last season and it's night and day.

I thought it was quite clear from our recruitment being geared toward a wingback system, the type of player brought in, the type of striker targeted to replace McG and the way we set up in pre-season that we were intentionally trying to play a brand of football far more similar to what Warne used at Rotherham?

Everything about the way we've gone about it screamed that we were going back to basics with a more streamlined style, unlike the one which peeked its head out at times last season.

Washington the technically limited workhorse. Sharp, Rhodes, Smith, Collins all players who you just want to get the ball into the box to as quickly as possible while leaving them out of build up play. Bradley, Nelson not players particularly comfortable on the ball to build out from the back with etc.

TJJ does seem to be a player more in the McG mould but will Warne use him in a similar style? We've already seen Fornah being asked to play someone else's game rather than the one he's gained plaudits elsewhere for.

There's not really anything to suggest that we're trying to replicate the stuff which did work last season.

Edited by Kokosnuss