The Paul Warne Poll

Day

The Paul Warne Poll  

612 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

30 minutes ago, bcnram said:

I am hoping that the Chairman is already putting feelers out to rectify his massive mistake in recruiting Warne and his team; has he got the balls to do it though. 

I highly doubt he considers it a "massive mistake" just yet or is therefore putting the feelers out. I would imagine DC has, even if only in his own mind, set certain triggers at which point he would consider pulling the trigger and none of these are anywhere near being reached yet.

My guess is that promotion (within a timescale that may not align with what us supporters want or expect) is DC's priority rather than style of football at the moment and we'd have to be a lot nearer to a relegation fight for him to consider sacking Warne. Probably not what many would either agree with or want to hear but I reckon that is the reality we perhaps need to come to terms with.

1 minute ago, Tamworthram said:

I highly doubt he considers it a "massive mistake" just yet or is therefore putting the feelers out. I would imagine DC has, even if only in his own mind, set certain triggers at which point he would consider pulling the trigger and none of these are anywhere near being reached yet.

My guess is that promotion (within a timescale that may not align with what us supporters want or expect) is DC's priority rather than style of football at the moment and we'd have to be a lot nearer to a relegation fight for him to consider sacking Warne. Probably not what many would either agree with or want to hear but I reckon that is the reality we perhaps need to come to terms with.

Totally agree.   Warne was very much Clowes man so he will give him as long as he possibly can to be a success.  

58 minutes ago, bcnram said:

I am hoping that the Chairman is already putting feelers out to rectify his massive mistake in recruiting Warne and his team; has he got the balls to do it though. 

I think if he had the balls to buy a stricken football club, an employment decision would be well within his comfort zone.

50 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

My guess is that promotion (within a timescale that may not align with what us supporters want or expect) is DC's priority rather than style of football at the moment and we'd have to be a lot nearer to a relegation fight for him to consider sacking Warne.

The stated target was to be established in the Championship within 5 years. Not just back at that level to make up the numbers and be threatened with dropping back down but to be comfortable and looking upwards.

We could still go up this season although it seems unlikely given just how much we still need to do to make us into a team which can carry out Warne's vision (lol), but even if it doesn't happen this season and we need a third attempt, we could still be on course to achieve our target - season 4 would be survival or a lower mid table finish, season 5 the 'comfortable' one.

The plan was obviously that Warne would develop alongside the club, to embrace the advantages being at a bigger club affords him in terms of access to improved training facilities, a larger support network running in the background, access to the academy etc. The draw of the club (and wage budget) allowing him to bring in and use players who wouldn't be able to sign for a club like Rotherham.

...but surely we can credit Clowes the wherewithal to see (if there isn't a major uptick in performances in the near future, and I don't just mean a good run against poor sides) that all Warne is building here is a s*** replica of the Rotherham teams who were absolute no-hopers under him in the Championship, and that a promotion in season 3 under Warne is as much a guarantee as you'll get of us finding ourselves back in League One come the end of that 5 year period?

There just aren't ANY signs at all that Warne has developed his methods and learned any new tricks, or really that he's even willing to fully embrace these advantages; he's stuck in the same mentality and with the same approach as he's always had.

No matter how much Warne is Clowes' man, if the fundamental aspects of our play and development needed from the manager to ensure we don't just end up back at square one aren't there, he has to act.

Edited by Kokosnuss

Warne was Clowes' first managerial appointment so I do not think he'll rush into admitting his mistake and getting rid.

I'm afraid we may be stuck with this turgid football for the rest of the season. Furthermore, we'll probably lose Bird and Cashin in January and replace them with older players that cannot run about like Warne will want.

We'll lose season ticket holders for next season so the budget won't be as good even after any imposed EFL business plan has elapsed.

We may lose some of the academy starlets who would rather have a career playing football.

And so it goes on....

Maybe a controversial one, but has Warne been backed by Clowes? He still seems to be shopping in the free transfer market and with a relatively small squad. I'm wondering if any of his summer targets that may have been slightly better than those he brought in carried a 'small' fee (£100-300k) and there wasn't money available? I know it seems Knights money balanced whatever books to whatever creditors, but I can't help but go back to Clowes interview pre-season saying money was available. In this division we have the biggest season ticket sales, the biggest match day income, decent cup runs last season, released some high wages, did some sales. Are we still that skint? 

Coupled with some pretty unexpected injuries to key players surely he should be given more time considering he hasn't spent a penny in transfer fees.

10 minutes ago, winktheram said:

Maybe a controversial one, but has Warne been backed by Clowes? He still seems to be shopping in the free transfer market and with a relatively small squad. I'm wondering if any of his summer targets that may have been slightly better than those he brought in carried a 'small' fee (£100-300k) and there wasn't money available? I know it seems Knights money balanced whatever books to whatever creditors, but I can't help but go back to Clowes interview pre-season saying money was available. In this division we have the biggest season ticket sales, the biggest match day income, decent cup runs last season, released some high wages, did some sales. Are we still that skint? 

Coupled with some pretty unexpected injuries to key players surely he should be given more time considering he hasn't spent a penny in transfer fees.

Warne had an option to spend the budget on transfer fees but chose to spend it on wages instead. Wilson, Fornah and Washington will cost us money depending on promotion on what we sell them for.

We have a healthy 23 man squad. This should be bolsted by a U21 side to keep the first team fresh. We'll see if any of them get game time this season.

1 minute ago, TimRam said:

Give him rest of season. Had we beaten Portsmouth (unbeaten in 17) I am sure there would be more votes for that...small margins.

...and what if those small margins we fall foul of are due to inadequate game management?

You may as well be saying "I am sure that if Warne was a better manager there would be more votes for him to be given more time"

9 minutes ago, Kokosnuss said:

...and what if those small margins we fall foul of are due to inadequate game management?

You may as well be saying "I am sure that if Warne was a better manager there would be more votes for him to be given more time"

It's a good point though. Small margins on the pitch, small margins on the poll. We didn't deserve to beat Portsmouth but if we had done it's natural for some to lean towards a more lenient position on the poll.

I wonder if Clowes comment about “King of L1” has unintentionally put pressure on PW.  This sends the message it’s promotion this season, which may well be the target that’s been set.  Perhaps PW has this in his mind, putting himself under pressure and his judgement is becoming clouded.  This pressure is being felt by the players on the pitch and they panic a bit and the ball becomes a hot potato.

PW talks about reviewing the last game in great detail, which is fine.  But he’s analysing where it’s not working as it should.  I’d advise him to look at the unbeaten run from last season.  Focus on what went right and success, why did we have that run, the set up, the style of play and what do we need to do to do something similar this season.  The squad needs some belief and reminding how good they are, not where it’s failing.  For the new players, show them videos as to why we signed them, their performances at previous clubs.

13 minutes ago, FlyBritishMidland said:

I wonder if Clowes comment about “King of L1” has unintentionally put pressure on PW.  This sends the message it’s promotion this season, which may well be the target that’s been set.  Perhaps PW has this in his mind, putting himself under pressure and his judgement is becoming clouded.  This pressure is being felt by the players on the pitch and they panic a bit and the ball becomes a hot potato.

PW talks about reviewing the last game in great detail, which is fine.  But he’s analysing where it’s not working as it should.  I’d advise him to look at the unbeaten run from last season.  Focus on what went right and success, why did we have that run, the set up, the style of play and what do we need to do to do something similar this season.  The squad needs some belief and reminding how good they are, not where it’s failing.  For the new players, show them videos as to why we signed them, their performances at previous clubs.

Warne himself said not getting into the Play Offs last season was failure. Nothing to do with Clowes except yes you imagine promotion in his 4 year contract would be expected, as 'established Championship club in 5 years' was the aim.

20 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Warne himself said not getting into the Play Offs last season was failure. Nothing to do with Clowes except yes you imagine promotion in his 4 year contract would be expected, as 'established Championship club in 5 years' was the aim.

That’s very true.  I just wonder if the public comment has raised PWs expectation of himself.  And that’s in no way a criticism of Clowes, just maybe an unintentional effect of the comment.

10 minutes ago, FlyBritishMidland said:

That’s very true.  I just wonder if the public comment has raised PWs expectation of himself.  And that’s in no way a criticism of Clowes, just maybe an unintentional effect of the comment.

TBH whether you're a Warne fan or not, or undecided, it's clear from his management history that promotion would be expected and was part of his remit. So the only extra pressure would be dealing with how quickly the fans 'turn' when things don't go well, as well as dealing with things not going well. He's already made comments about being booed hasn't he? So he's undoubtedly now feeling the pressure, but the expectation was always there imo.

Edited by RoyMac5