Conor Washington - signed on a two-year-deal

Animal is a Ram

Dont mind this signing at all, i can see him bringing the best out in Collins who imo is capable of getting 20+ goals, he got 11 in the league last season being a bit part player compared to McG or being the guy who lead the press, if someone else does the running (Washington) & allows Collins to be in the box more he has shown with some of his finishes last season that he knows where the back of the net is....thinking Pompey & Port Vale at home, MK Dons Way.

Anyway, back to Washington, people have said about him replacing McGoldricks goals but for me he would be coming in to replace Osula's goals, I still think we will bring in a 1st choice striker (Smith/Nombe/Ladapo/JCH)

He’s alright for third tier level. Won’t be the second coming but should grab 10 goals for you next season if he stays fit.

He is an intelligent player who makes runs that stretch backlines despite not being the quickest. He will do that for you non stop for 90 minutes and get frustrated if no one finds the pass to pick him out.

On the flip side, when someone does get the ball to him, they’ll becomes the frustrated ones because he has a habit of fluffing chances. Especially 1v1s.

Give him two or three looks at goal and he’ll score one but you’ll come away from the game thinking he should’ve had more. And when he misses the chance that would’ve secured three points, half the fans will come away from the game thinking he’s a donkey.

Also he loves picking up the ball wide on the left side and cutting inside once, or even twice, before getting a shot off. You’ll see what I mean.

Good luck to the guy. Hope he does well - but also hope we sign another (better) striker.

I'm also beginning to wonder if we are putting to much weight on the fact players have 'experience of promotion'. I mean Ryan Smith and Jay McEveley had 'experience of promotion' to the Premier League. Jonathan Greening 'had experience of' winning the treble with Manchester United. 

Anyway, yeah, good luck. But if he'd signed for a promotion rival honestly I wouldn't have batted an eyelid. 

1 hour ago, Carl Sagan said:

Hilarious that we had to wait to announce someone else before we could say we'd signed Washington, or else the fallout would have been too bad. Let's hope he's a lot better than his stats suggest, and that's not an impossible hope.

We know, and Warne and Clowes will know, that the team needs much more goals to make up for McGoldrick's departure.

But in the meanwhile, welcome to Derby, Conor. I hope you prove a shrewd signing.

Probably 20 goals short of challenging top 2 last year ?.  Lost 25 since.  This guy may get 10.  Ward 5? Let's assume we're a bit more solid defensively.  Still 20-25 goals short of a top 2 challenge and less mobility in midfield if Knight goes.

A lot of work to do for Top 6 and we won't get it for free.

1 hour ago, simmoram1995 said:

For context before Mcgolderick’s 22 last season , he only had 5 seasons of double figures out of about 15-16 seasons 134 goals .

Washington has 161 goals in less seasons. I fully expect him to outweigh his expectations.

Of those 161 goals, 74 were for St Ives Town - his professional record is 87 goals in 391 games. You are of course correct about McGoldrick's modest goal tally before last season.

I believe Washington's value will be in the hard work he does to win the ball back, holding the ball up in the final 3rd & stretching the play with his pace. Suspect his arrival will get the best out of Collins, who was isolated at times last season & will also present opportunities for Mendez-Laing & Barkhuizen to feed off. Blend in a team is more important than the relative ability of individual players & I believe like one or two other maligned past players, he will prove a fair few wrong with his overall impact.

Edited by LeedsCityRam

28 minutes ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

Probably 20 goals short of challenging top 2 last year ?.  Lost 25 since.  This guy may get 10.  Ward 5? Let's assume we're a bit more solid defensively.  Still 20-25 goals short of a top 2 challenge and less mobility in midfield if Knight goes.

A lot of work to do for Top 6 and we won't get it for free.

**This isn’t a dig**
You’re right we need more goals in the side, that might come from further additions and hopefully from players already here contributing more than they did last year. I’m thinking the likes of Bird and Sibley need to add a few, as well as the defence hopefully chipping in from set pieces. 
The potentially improved defence should be key too, how many games did we frustratingly lose or draw last year that could have been avoided with more defensive solidarity?

Of the top 6 last year Plymouth scored 15 more goals than us, Ipswich a whopping 34(!!) more, Sheff Weds 14 more, Barnsley 13 more, Bolton 5 less and Peterborough 8 more. More crucial than the goals scored though (and I know I’m stating the obvious) is the points scored. We’d have been much closer to/higher than some of them if we’d held on against the likes of Bristol Rovers, Mk Dons and Shrewsbury, as well as not losing away to Fleetwood.
Adding that defensive resilience is hopefully a key part of the jigsaw and there’s still time to add in the attacking pieces and/or coaching more goals from the current side, just got to trust/hope/pray that Warne and co can sort it.

Never heard of him in all honesty and his goal record doesn't look great but I won't write him off.

What I think Derby need is some real pace up top. We seem to have a habit of signing journeyman workmanlike strikers.

On 24/06/2023 at 10:17, Anag Ram said:

Yes, and you never know, Collins could emerge as a success this year. It’s often about confidence and if he starts well, he could go on a scoring streak. 
🤞👀🧚‍♀️

I think back to when he first played, I think he hit the post, had one ruled out and one cleared off the line. He was doing everything right. If those 3 had gone in and been his start at DCFC I think we might have seen a different player last season. 

I guess all will be revealed. One thing for sure it looks like we have added some much needed muscle and won’t be as physically lightweight this season.

12 minutes ago, DRBee said:

the idea he will transform Collins, posted by some above is ludicrous. 

Well in the opinions of a few (who don’t rate him) he’s surely already transformed Collins into our best available striker!

(I should add for clarity that I think he’ll do well for us… we shall see)

I have to admit I am really happy with this since I think Washington and Collins might actually form a good partnership. Hard workers, seems to have the right attitude and both have a point to prove. Can't wait for the season to start but only after a few more incomings since we still are a bit short in numbers.

Welcome to Derby Conor, this will be a great season!  

8 hours ago, DCFC1388 said:

Dont mind this signing at all, i can see him bringing the best out in Collins who imo is capable of getting 20+ goals, he got 11 in the league last season being a bit part player compared to McG or being the guy who lead the press, if someone else does the running (Washington) & allows Collins to be in the box more he has shown with some of his finishes last season that he knows where the back of the net is....thinking Pompey & Port Vale at home, MK Dons Way.

Anyway, back to Washington, people have said about him replacing McGoldricks goals but for me he would be coming in to replace Osula's goals, I still think we will bring in a 1st choice striker (Smith/Nombe/Ladapo/JCH)

Of those four I think it will be Ladapo and Nombe 

Only chance we have for CH is if we sell both knight and cashin if that was the case I’d hate for us to sell him, I think we’d be able to go for him or Langstaff plus Flint on a free. 

last choice Sam Smith on a free