Conor Washington - signed on a two-year-deal

Animal is a Ram

As an opposition player he never concerned me when we were in the championship but he is our player now and this is a much lower standard based on what I saw last season so I hope we get the best out of him the minimum we need this season with a automatic promotion 

Edited by Sparkle

9 hours ago, RamFan13 said:

Exactly. We’re in league 1, I think people forget this sometimes! But everyone is entitled to their opinions of course! I’m getting behind the lad to bang us in some goals! 🐏 

I don't think they forget sometimes, I think because of the size DCFC is in League1 DCFC should be buying £2/£3million players who will then come with a damn site bigger wage.  

5 minutes ago, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

I'm trying to work out the current first team squad size. How many bodies do we have?... I can count 19 including the lad from the U21s 

19 including Knight, 20 if you include a lad from the U21s (you didn’t say which so I’m going Robinson), 21/22 if you include the new cb we signed from palace’s academy and Brown as a striker….. I think

50 minutes ago, DRBee said:

the idea he will transform Collins, posted by some above is ludicrous. 

Why? If he's doing the running and dragging defenders out of position, putting Collins in better positions it's just what he needs. Might actually play stuff through the middle now and not hopeful crosses all game.

Not sure why everyone thinks Washington has been signed to solve our goal problems. 

He’s said in his interview his role is to get behind and stretch defenses, he even admits goal scoring is something he is working on. 

if he can see it, I’m sure Warne is going to be well aware is not going to be our 20 goal striker. Given we’ve spent nothing on fees so far, and will likely get a decent amount in for Knight, I’m pretty certain PW has a goal scoring striker in mind who will likely cost a decent fee. 

Just now, YouRams said:

Why? If he's doing the running and dragging defenders out of position, putting Collins in better positions it's just what he needs. Might actually play stuff through the middle now and not hopeful crosses all game.

If we could ‘put’ Collins in better positions, we’d be alright.

It’s his inability to put himself there that’s the issue.

I’ve never seen a centre forward hide so much.

Hopefully, the coaching team will help him.

I’ve been assuming the “goal scoring” CF signing is just waiting for the Knight deal to be done to provide the funds.

Assuming this happens, I’m fine with CW.

Every chance he can get 10 goals based on past L1 record. Collins could get similar (like he did last season) so assuming we do get the main man in, say 18+ then that should be sufficient with a bit more contribution from elsewhere.

Our midfield should be able to do better than last year IMO.

8 minutes ago, Abu Derby said:

Thought he is injured. Probably sit out the first few games. 

He said in his interview with the club that he’s fit and ready to go.

Interview is available to watch here, it’s a good one;

https://www.dcfc.co.uk/news/2023/07/striker-washington-becomes-derbys-sixth-summer-recruit

Edited by Caerphilly Ram

So based on the feedback on how he plays I’m hoping that CW is going to have a similar role as Paul Goddard did.
I don’t remember a big fan fare when he arrived but what a player for us he was and how superb he was for Dean Saunders .. question is if Conor can have a similar impact, allbeit at a lesser level, who will be our Deano? 

10 hours ago, Carl Sagan said:

Hilarious that we had to wait to announce someone else before we could say we'd signed Washington, or else the fallout would have been too bad. Let's hope he's a lot better than his stats suggest, and that's not an impossible hope.

We know, and Warne and Clowes will know, that the team needs much more goals to make up for McGoldrick's departure.

But in the meanwhile, welcome to Derby, Conor. I hope you prove a shrewd signing.

Martins stats were worse than Washington’s when he signed for us and that went well. 

McGoldricks stats were not great and yet he was fantastic for us. 

I’ve given up trying to guess when it comes to forwards. 

47 minutes ago, The Last Post said:

I don't think they forget sometimes, I think because of the size DCFC is in League1 DCFC should be buying £2/£3million players who will then come with a damn site bigger wage.  

I must be reading this out of context? Surely? 

are u saying u think we should be signing 2/3m pound players on bigger wages???

The more I think of it, the more Nombe seems the perfect fit. Two players that don’t give defences a moment’s peace.

Add NML and perhaps a new wide player (Harris?) and I think we have a potentially aggressive, dynamic forward line.

I would still like a midfield player that gets forward to pick up the scraps and score a few.

I think we can easily fall into the trap of looking for 1 person to replace the goals that McGoldrick got last season, but if Washingtons style of pulling defenders out of position and giving other players space then those goals could come from say ... +7 for Collins, +7 for NML, +7 for a midfield runner, +5 for set piece headed goals, on top of what they had this last season, plus maybe 10 for himself. No doubt those goals need replacing but there is more than one way to achieve it.

Optimistic I know but July is usually my most optimistic month, by mid September I'm usually asking when is the Cricket season starting (before its finished).

3 minutes ago, Anag Ram said:

The more I think of it, the more Nombe seems the perfect fit. Two players that don’t give defences a moment’s peace.

Add NML and perhaps a new wide player (Harris?) and I think we have a potentially aggressive, dynamic forward line.

I would still like a midfield player that gets forward to pick up the scraps and score a few.

Inclined to agree

My initial impressions from what iv read from the roherham pod and a few other sources have me a little undecided on CW … part of me thinks he flourish being ins side where he has a striker to play off (not had that much in his career) and not being shoved out wide cos hes mobile. 

the other side Of it worries me when i hear lack of quality, indifferent finishing.

so im going into this season with a total open mind on him. What i do know is thst hes clearly a worker and will lead our press from the front and sometimes in football the sum are greater than the parts

roll on game day one, cant wait 

20 minutes ago, norwichram said:

So based on the feedback on how he plays I’m hoping that CW is going to have a similar role as Paul Goddard did.
I don’t remember a big fan fare when he arrived but what a player for us he was and how superb he was for Dean Saunders .. question is if Conor can have a similar impact, allbeit at a lesser level, who will be our Deano? 

Goddard was exactly who instantly came to my mind too… u r totally correct… Saunders benefited massively from him up top…

CW could be the exact same catalyst…