Conor Washington - signed on a two-year-deal

Animal is a Ram

9 hours ago, jimbobram said:

Send him to Notts County and we'll swap him for langstaff

that would be awesome, but i dont think derby has done solid business like that since ive been a fan tho haha

On 03/05/2024 at 09:52, BaaLocks said:

Read my post again, actually taking in the words this time, and you will see I haven't.

Eh? This is what you posted:-

"Fair expectation of any club signing a potential goalscorer is that they either score - or at least make - goals. Washington isn't that - either for Derby or elsewhere."

I pointed out that he has scored, assisted in goals and created chances quite regularly while he's been on the pitch - what are you taking issue with?

On 10/05/2024 at 07:39, Crewton said:

Eh? This is what you posted:-

"Fair expectation of any club signing a potential goalscorer is that they either score - or at least make - goals. Washington isn't that - either for Derby or elsewhere."

I pointed out that he has scored, assisted in goals and created chances quite regularly while he's been on the pitch - what are you taking issue with?

Take out the coulda, shoulda, woulda and he's got three goals and two assists in 19 games. Not sure any scout would consider that "quite regular"

3 hours ago, BaaLocks said:

Take out the coulda, shoulda, woulda and he's got three goals and two assists in 19 games. Not sure any scout would consider that "quite regular"

I don’t think for a minute he’s the future but how many of those 19 “appearances” were Cameos, last five mins, post injury etc etc. ? I am no stato but he’s always looked dangerous when on the pitch what little we saw of him. Hustle bustle pass with first touch, pass and move. Yes, Maybe league one, maybe over the hill ? Quite possibly, but the easy critiques with tweaked stats aren’t really valid are they. 

22 hours ago, jono said:

I don’t think for a minute he’s the future but how many of those 19 “appearances” were Cameos, last five mins, post injury etc etc. ? I am no stato but he’s always looked dangerous when on the pitch what little we saw of him. Hustle bustle pass with first touch, pass and move. Yes, Maybe league one, maybe over the hill ? Quite possibly, but the easy critiques with tweaked stats aren’t really valid are they. 

Taking stats totally out of it, nothing from watching him play made me think he could do a job in the championship. I’d be looking for better if we were still in league one being honest.

I hope players don't read forums. Conor if you're on here and if you stay, I hope you prove the doubters wrong. But look away now. 

This signing was rumoured long before it happened, much to the annoyance of the fanbase, with Warne seemingly the only person in a 100 mile radius who wanted Washington at Derby. To the extent we had to wait for Bradley to sign before we could announce CW, as the reaction to a Rotherham journeynan signing would likely have been quite toxic. 

Washington is a tryer, but he does not have the technique or physique. He works hard but rarely scores. He was our least threatening forward in League One, so nothing suggests he will be more impactful in the Championship. Surely he wants to play more? Instead of paying Rotherham the promotion bonus due, why not offer him back to them if they waive it?

I feel it's likely we will take a calculated risk and give Collins a deal, even if his Championship record is poor. And surely Collins and Brown would now be ahead of Washington. And we likely want to make a landmark striker signing as well as a loan. 

On 11/05/2024 at 19:08, jono said:

easy critiques with tweaked stats aren’t really valid are they. 

Actually not critiqued one single element of his game but the stats are what they are. Besides Perterborough and Charlton (Lord knows what they did with him there) he simply doesn't have the numbers to build a team around. We didn't, and I can't see any other club doing it (which was the original point I was responding to). Squad player? Impact sub? Maybe. Lead striking option? Bump this when it happens - I won't hold my breath.

7 minutes ago, BaaLocks said:

Actually not critiqued one single element of his game but the stats are what they are. Besides Perterborough and Charlton (Lord knows what they did with him there) he simply doesn't have the numbers to build a team around. We didn't, and I can't see any other club doing it (which was the original point I was responding to). Squad player? Impact sub? Maybe. Lead striking option? Bump this when it happens - I won't hold my breath.

Don’t want to have a barny but “would ha Should ha” and then the stats is a critique. 
don’t think anyone, including me has suggested he’s a lead striker option. Just weighing possible contributions a contracted player could make.